Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ALL About Leasing and Buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 01:46 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sw13gs
money factors vary based on the model, different models have different mfs. What model did you lease?

And dealers can pad the money factor for extra profit, they do it all the time.
is 250 fs, uw/rr
Old 04-09-15, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanCi
is 250 fs, uw/rr
Yeah they padded the money factor for extra profit. Nothing you can do about it now and they do it to a lot of people and they never know. Now you know, and next time you'll be able to negotiate a better deal.
Old 04-10-15, 08:58 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm looking at taking over my buddies 2014 GS350 F-sport lease......his residual is 48K, should I walk away or does that sound right?
Old 04-11-15, 08:24 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stangd1909
So I'm looking at taking over my buddies 2014 GS350 F-sport lease......his residual is 48K, should I walk away or does that sound right?
How many miles?
Old 04-11-15, 03:23 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FastTags
How many miles?
6k miles currently on the car and 12k a year. 26 months currently left on lease.
Old 04-12-15, 05:59 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Anyone? What should I be looking at so I don't get screwed? I'm a newbie at the leasing thing.
Old 04-15-15, 12:22 PM
joebruin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Quick question. If I choose to extend the lease by 6 months does lexus financial recalcualte the original residual value?
Just got off the phone with LFS regarding lease extension. You must initiate lease extension 60 days before maturity date. LFS will send new agreement with payment and payoff spreadsheet that will show the lower residual values. I was told payments will be the roughly the same so I assume the payoff will be decreased at the same rate as the initial lease agreement. Lease extension is for 6 months on a month to month basis. I asked whether another 6 months is possible and was told that there needs to be another agreement made but is highly discouraged.
Old 05-01-15, 11:14 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, thanks for sharing all of this great information.

If you lease from an independent leasing company, are there any additional or different tips we need to know?

Last edited by SatComm302; 05-01-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-02-15, 12:12 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joebruin
Just got off the phone with LFS regarding lease extension. You must initiate lease extension 60 days before maturity date. LFS will send new agreement with payment and payoff spreadsheet that will show the lower residual values. I was told payments will be the roughly the same so I assume the payoff will be decreased at the same rate as the initial lease agreement. Lease extension is for 6 months on a month to month basis. I asked whether another 6 months is possible and was told that there needs to be another agreement made but is highly discouraged.
Did you get the figures?
I wonder how payments can be in the same range given that:

1. The new price is more than 40% lower.
2. The new residual is almost flat after the 3 year downslope.

If leasing is "cost of residual + payment of depreciation" how can that happen?

Will they charge you a HUGE money factor ?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-15, 07:22 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastTags
This is good stuff.
I agree. This is a very well written thread. I have learnt quite a few things reading it.

A Big Thank you!
Old 05-12-15, 08:12 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brucereddy
I agree. This is a very well written thread. I have learnt quite a few things reading it.

A Big Thank you!
I 2nd this FastTags! When i looked at the lease numbers he gave me the 12 & 15k mile options & i didn't even think about the 10k one & really that would probably be My best option since i have 4 vehicles & i don't even drive the RC-F on rainy days but it's been about a month now, is this something i could call & ask him about or has it been too long (car still doesn't have 300 miles yet) . I know it wouldn't really change much as the monthly payment but just wondering if this would be better in the long run since i may be interested in keeping it! Thanks!
Old 06-28-15, 09:13 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am soon to publish an e-book on Leasing and buying. It will have real negotiation strategies and real life examples. No BS, no stories, no jokes just pure techiques and examples!!

PM with your email whoever is interested.
Old 06-28-15, 12:41 PM
BackyrdBud
Driver School Candidate

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed, but there is a lot of info within this thread. Tough lesson a family member just learned while leasing (not a Lexus). You MUST purchase gap insurance. Ask your insurance agent about this while leasing. If anything should happen, and there is an accidental totaling of the car (thankfully everyone walked away safely in the case, but the car was totaled), you will pay the difference of what the insurance company says the car is worth and what the dealership says the car is worth. In this case, a new car: difference was $3,000. Not sure why insurance agencies aren't helping out here, but leasers beware: get gap insurance!
Old 06-29-15, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by BackyrdBud
Forgive me if this issue has been addressed, but there is a lot of info within this thread. Tough lesson a family member just learned while leasing (not a Lexus). You MUST purchase gap insurance. Ask your insurance agent about this while leasing. If anything should happen, and there is an accidental totaling of the car (thankfully everyone walked away safely in the case, but the car was totaled), you will pay the difference of what the insurance company says the car is worth and what the dealership says the car is worth. In this case, a new car: difference was $3,000. Not sure why insurance agencies aren't helping out here, but leasers beware: get gap insurance!
Most leases include gap insurance, all Lexus leases do already. Leases on my Jeeps and my Kia all had/have included gap insurance.
Old 07-02-15, 08:59 PM
Amsden
Driver School Candidate

You have lot of information.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope it will be helpful for me.

Quick Reply: ALL About Leasing and Buying