Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Go From 2006 IS 250 to 2012 Audi A6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 11:24 AM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go From 2006 IS 250 to 2012 Audi A6?

I am looking for advice on a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T as an addition to my fleet. It would be an outright buy. I am not comfortable with the concept of leasing as I want it to be mine forever. I haven't come to the reality yet that it does what my IS does and more, so actually I should get rid of my IS. I really like my 2006 IS250. I say "like" because it is by no means is a rare or unique car. It could be replaced easily if it were to be totaled.

However, I checked out a 2009 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige and thought it was awesome. Then I learned more about a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T and thought it was even better.

My family is growing and the back seat of the IS just not going to get it done in the near future. I don't get as excited about the ES or GS Lexus as I do about the Audi. Down the road I would also like to add an RX Hybrid to my fleet.

Audi appeal:
28 MPG, Supercharged, AWD, 300HP, top of the line technology, sleeper look with an impressive interior, rear folding seats, good leg room, big trunk, black headliner, cold weather package, seats... My point is the Audi is impressive on paper.

My reservations:
-It seems as if pre 2012 A6's had reliability issues (headlights, seats, brakes, trunk lid, water pump..). The 2012 is still newer, but I have not come across any major issues yet. Ask any auto parts guy, the car people complain about the most is any Volkswagen.

-I can do some advanced repairs and installs on the IS for a non-mechanic or engineer type person, how challenging is Audi work?

-Are Audi's dealer-source parts / service cars only?

-I keep my cars indefinitely, can this car be kept 5+ years?

-The Lexus is extremely well built and reliable. I would be super pissed I let go a great car from Lexus for a potentially unreliable one from Audi.

- Could this be all a psychological reaction since my wife put a huge dent in my 1/4 panel on my IS?

I would like to hear your input.
Old 06-27-14, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotized

My family is growing and the back seat of the IS just not going to get it done in the near future.
No arguments about that. if anything, that's an understatement. The IS's rear seat is for Munchkins.

I don't get as excited about the ES or GS Lexus as I do about the Audi. Down the road I would also like to add an RX Hybrid to my fleet.
In that case, I'd make a choice between the RX and the Audi. Do you really need two AWD vehicles in the family? Of course, If both you and your wife (or someone else in the family) have to commute to work in two different places on winter roads, and don't have access to public-transit, then I can see why the answer might (?) be yes.

Audi appeal:
28 MPG, Supercharged, AWD, 300HP, top of the line technology, sleeper look with an impressive interior, rear folding seats, good leg room, big trunk, black headliner, cold weather package, seats... My point is the Audi is impressive on paper.
Yes, it is now one of Consumer Reports' top-rated sedans.

My reservations:
-It seems as if pre 2012 A6's had reliability issues (headlights, seats, brakes, trunk lid, water pump..). The 2012 is still newer, but I have not come across any major issues yet. Ask any auto parts guy, the car people complain about the most is any Volkswagen.

-I can do some advanced repairs and installs on the IS for a non-mechanic or engineer type person, how challenging is Audi work?

-Are Audi's dealer-source parts / service cars only?
Well, most upmarket/luxury vehicles, nowadays, including Audis, are clearly not designed for do-it-yourselfers at home. Engines fit in tightly, and most components are hidden (unnecessarily) by large panels and covers. If you read my auto reviews, this is something that I regularly comment on.

The Lexus is extremely well built and reliable. I would be super pissed I let go a great car from Lexus for a potentially unreliable one from Audi.
The 2Gen IS (which you own), granted, is more solidly-built than the new 3Gen, but, IMO, not as solid as the 1Gen IS300, which was a Toyota Altezza. I owned a 1Gen 2001 IS300 for almost five years.

Could this be all a psychological reaction since my wife put a huge dent in my 1/4 panel on my IS?
You've already said you need a bigger back seat because of more children on the way. That's apparently not a psychological reaction.....that is reality, at least from your first statement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-27-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 12:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Since you like your 06 IS so much, have you given any thought to a 3IS? The rear seat is remarkably bigger than in the 2IS. I have two car seats in the back of my 14 IS350. Also, it's available with much of what you said appeals to you about the Audi - black headliner, 300+ hp, AWD, folding rear seat, larger trunk, etc. It won't be as big as an A6, but definitely bigger than your IS, so it may be a nice compromise.

I wish you well in your car shopping and with your growing family (congratulations!).
Old 06-27-14, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Since you like your 06 IS so much, have you given any thought to a 3IS? The rear seat is remarkably bigger than in the 2IS. I have two car seats in the back of my 14 IS350. Also, it's available with much of what you said appeals to you about the Audi - black headliner, 300+ hp, AWD, folding rear seat, larger trunk, etc. It won't be as big as an A6, but definitely bigger than your IS, so it may be a nice compromise.

I wish you well in your car shopping and with your growing family (congratulations!).
It's true that the 3IS has a somewhat larger rear seat, but, IMO, is not built as solidly as the 1 or 2IS. Of course, that's for him to decide, not me.
Old 06-27-14, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

maybe you could get CPO Audi with warranty?
Old 06-27-14, 06:23 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go for it. and yeah, get the one with warranty.
Old 06-27-14, 06:33 PM
LexFather

Go for the Audi!

Old 06-27-14, 07:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the supercharged A6....go for it!

Attached Thumbnails Go From 2006 IS 250 to 2012 Audi A6?-capture.jpg  
Old 06-27-14, 08:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

CR reliability ratings....
Attached Thumbnails Go From 2006 IS 250 to 2012 Audi A6?-capture1.jpg  
Old 06-27-14, 10:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There is absolutely no question, ANY German car is going to be less reliable than a Japanese model. Audi, as a whole, fare better than their counterparts, but you really really really should get an extended warranty. All Audis and all German cars clearly drop off the reliability charts after four or five years of usage. This has been the case and proven at Consumer Reports for a dozen+ years now. The chart above is a great window and the fact that the brand new 2013's already have an "average" circle for the motor is a big red flag it's going to go downhill fast. If you are okay with all of this, the upside is a much more dynamic and driver-involved experience compared to the Lexus IS you have. Also consider a new(er) bodystyle Lexus GS350. The handling is far superior than previous models, PLUS it comes with stellar reliability. I'd put that ontop of my list for the category you are seeking. But if your heart is set on the Audi (a very nice car), get a good warranty!!!
Old 06-28-14, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is absolutely no question, ANY German car is going to be less reliable than a Japanese model.

Can't make that sweeping a statement. The large Infiniti QX56, Nissan Armada, and Titan all three had reliability issues for years....although recently there has been some improvement. Of course, the Titan can't be compared directly to the Germans because they don't sell any large pickups in the U.S.

German-badged vehicles have also had their ups and downs in reliability.....Audi, in particular, which sells some very reliable models and some unreliable ones.
Old 06-28-14, 09:07 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have driven my friends 2013 a6 prestige S-Line for a 4hour trip - its a very nice and sporty car but i wouldn't buy it used. In a year he owns it , car was at dealer 4 times. Audi Drive Select(3times) and once for car wouldn't rev past 4k. in OP situation , I'd just upgrade to RXhybrid now.
Old 06-28-14, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is absolutely no question, ANY German car is going to be less reliable than a Japanese model. Audi, as a whole, fare better than their counterparts, but you really really really should get an extended warranty. All Audis and all German cars clearly drop off the reliability charts after four or five years of usage.
+1 on that. The German cars are by far the worst for reliability. They have nowhere near the reliability of a Japanese car.
Old 06-28-14, 09:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ALeX300
have driven my friends 2013 a6 prestige S-Line for a 4hour trip - its a very nice and sporty car but i wouldn't buy it used. In a year he owns it , car was at dealer 4 times. Audi Drive Select(3times) and once for car wouldn't rev past 4k. in OP situation , I'd just upgrade to RXhybrid now.
I would do the same. Can't go wrong with the reliability of the RX hybrid.
Old 06-28-14, 11:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would do the same. Can't go wrong with the reliability of the RX hybrid.
Reliable but a boring driver

Quick Reply: Go From 2006 IS 250 to 2012 Audi A6?