Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 01:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models

Ford lowers MPG ratings on six vehicles
Second Time C-Max Hybrid Drops Its Fuel Economy Numbers

Ford has announced that it will be lowering the fuel economy ratings on a number of its 2013 and 2014 model year vehicles after an error was discovered in the company's internal testing data. The EPA has been notified.

Worryingly for Ford, the vast majority of the vehicles affected are hybrids, including the C-Max, Fusion and MKZ in both hybrid and plug-in varieties (where applicable). Also covered as part of the rerating is the entire lineup of 2014 Fiesta engines, with the exception of the ST, including the turbocharged, three-cylinder EcoBoost.

The Fiesta range is seeing corrections of one to two miles per gallon in the combined rating. C-Max Hybrid models are seeing their combined rating decreased by three mpg, the Fusion's drops by five mpg, and the MKZ drops seven mpg. Both the C-Max and Fusion Energi models have had their ratings slashed by five mpg. Ford critics will note that this is the second time in less than a year that the Blue Oval has had to recalculate the economy ratings for the C-Max Hybrid. That car was originally rated at 47/47/47 mpg (combined/city/highway), which was dropped to 43/45/40 last year and now to 40/42/37.

"This issue highlights the need for continued strong oversight of the fuel economy labeling program," Chris Grundler, director of the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, said in a statement. "Consumers need to trust that fuel economy window stickers are giving consumers reliable and fair estimates of real world fuel economy."

The problem cropped up in what's known as the Total Road Load Horsepower. According to Ford, TRLHP is specific to each vehicle, and is used as a measure of resistance in dyno testing for fuel economy ratings. Apparently, Ford discovered that the TLRHP used on the vehicles affected was incorrect. There were also issues with the way wind tunnel testing was factored in to the dyno resistance rating. In Ford's case, it seems like they're trying to pull a Hyundai and Kia and take the honest way out by acknowledging the fault.

"Ford is absolutely committed to delivering top fuel economy and accurate information," said Alan Mulally. "We apologize to our customers and will provide goodwill payments to affected owners. We also are taking steps to improve our processes and prevent issues like this from happening again."

We've got those goodwill payments available below in a table. You can also take a look at the press releases of both Ford and the EPA, which includes a complete breakdown of the re-rated economy figures.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/12/f...les/#continued

Bad news for Ford, but worse news for anyone who bought a C-Max on the promise that it got better gas mileage than the Prius V. You've got to wonder exactly what is going on with Ford's hybrid technology for two rounds of rating cuts in as many years.
Old 06-12-14, 01:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember the early commerical on the C-Max was bragging about compare to the Prius V, it got more room, more HP, and higher MPG. Call me a Toyota fanboy, but I was thinking in my head that is not possible with how excellent and how dedicated Toyota is on developing the electric hybrid technologies on the Prius. But good for Ford if they actually made it happened.

Now this confirmed my intuition was correct, the Prius continue to be the undefeated king of hybrid.

Ford simply did the math wrong, or lying is more possible if you ask me

Last edited by BNR34; 06-12-14 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

And people wonder why some of us Toyota die-hards will not even consider a Ford.
Old 06-12-14, 01:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The funniest lie was the 230 MPG claim on the Volt

Sure it can do 230 MPG.............if you push it down a hill

Real world MPG from normal folks who are not hypermiling freak are 37 MPG.............LMAO.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models-chevyvolt230mpg02_opt.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 06-12-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It seems like Ford got the initial advertising hit that they wanted and now it's time to 'fess up.
Old 06-12-14, 01:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems like Ford got the initial advertising hit that they wanted and now it's time to 'fess up.
Exactly, lied to sell a bunch of cars initially, then oops we did the math wrong, we are sorry and we will give you a few hundreds bucks back

Excellent plan and it is all legal
Old 06-12-14, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hyundai inflated their epa estimates too. Truthfully as an enthusiast it doesn't bother me all that much, I know there is much more than just the engine. Variables like fuel, weight, environment, tire inflation, driving style etc.. will all play a role in fuel economy. So whatever the sticker says just take it with a grain of salt, they are 'averages' after all
Old 06-12-14, 02:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hyundai inflated their epa estimates too. Truthfully as an enthusiast it doesn't bother me all that much, I know there is much more than just the engine. Variables like fuel, weight, environment, tire inflation, driving style etc.. will all play a role in fuel economy. So whatever the sticker says just take it with a grain of salt, they are 'averages' after all
MPG is never a consideration for me to buy a car, not that I don't care about money, but gas is so inexpensive in the U.S.A., these people are spending tens of thousands of dollars more to save a few bucks in gas

They are saving gas, but actually spending more money overall.

I want to thank them though, they are saving the gas for me to use in my gas guzzling V8s
Old 06-12-14, 03:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's just me, but I would be royally pissed if I bought a car and then had the manufacturer come back after the fact and slash the MPG ratings. Gas isn't cheap and MPG is definitely a consideration when car shopping for me. Consider the audience for hybrids here - MPG is huge.

Even with all of those variables, the manufacturer is responsible for providing reliable, accurate numbers of what people should expect in average driving. The fact that Ford didn't do that - and for a second time on the C-Max - is pretty foolish.
Old 06-12-14, 03:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Those are significant drops in MPG, 7 mpg loss for the MKZ! That's huge.
Old 06-12-14, 03:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The funniest lie was the 230 MPG claim on the Volt

Sure it can do 230 MPG.............if you push it down a hill

Real world MPG from normal folks who are not hypermiling freak are 37 MPG.............LMAO.
why hating on Volt in a Ford thread?????

....37mpg is GAS ONLY numbers.....you want average MPG from actual drivers????
Attached Thumbnails Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models-capture.jpg   Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 04:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

TBH, my LS got significantly lower than rated mileage on its best day.
Old 06-12-14, 04:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Those are hypermiling freaks

I aren't hating, I am just laughing

Check these out, these hypermiling freaks get 1500~5000 MPG, they are real actual drivers too

http://www.voltstats.net/

With the same logic, pure EV get unlimited MPG, because they don't use any gas!
Attached Thumbnails Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models-voltmpg.jpg  
Old 06-12-14, 04:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Maybe it's just me, but I would be royally pissed if I bought a car and then had the manufacturer come back after the fact and slash the MPG ratings. Gas isn't cheap and MPG is definitely a consideration when car shopping for me. Consider the audience for hybrids here - MPG is huge.

Even with all of those variables, the manufacturer is responsible for providing reliable, accurate numbers of what people should expect in average driving. The fact that Ford didn't do that - and for a second time on the C-Max - is pretty foolish.
No its not just you, it is why Hyundai/Honda have/had class action law suits against them. These vehicles were marketed and advertised mainly for MPG and how they led the class. This was one of the main reasons for purchase, surely even the lead reason. Imagine finding out the main reason you bought the car, is a complete lie.

Imagine being told your car makes 500hp, you buy it for performance and come to found out it made 420hp.

Old 06-12-14, 04:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Here is a real world test, anywhere from 35 MPG to 45 MPG.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...l-economy.html

Btw, my LS430 can get 100 MPG too, if I push it for 80 miles

Quick Reply: Ford Lowers MPG Ratings on Six Models