Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2015 Chrysler 200S AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 05:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Looks like Chrysler might have hit a home run on this one.
I've heard that one before. It's nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 06-03-14, 06:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks better than the outgoing model. But still not the best looking car in its' class IMO.
Old 06-03-14, 03:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

May not be best in segment, but no one can argue it hasn't made tremendous strides.

Great looking cluster design
Old 06-03-14, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
LexBob2 and TangoRed are correct. 200C is aimed squarely at the mid-size family sedan segment.
OK...given the exterior dimensions, perhaps so, but it still borrows a lot from the Dodge Dart Compact, especially inside. I wish the Dart offered its V6, though.

When I got the chance to drive this a few months ago the V6 with AWD, as was reviewed in this article, was definitely the one to get. Well damped and controlled ride, never too floaty or harsh, great power and no torque-steer thanks to the AWD system.

While it borrows heavily from the Chrysler parts bin, I think it incorporates all of the items extremely well, and it's a pretty solid parts bin to be taking from at the moment. Terrific audio/navigation system, e-shifter frees up a great amount of center console space, the latest in safety technology, etc. Yes the cars will get pricey at the top end, but I think they are still quite high value contenders when you look at the content they are delivering.
If Chrysler can get THIS one right, it will REALLY have redeemed itself. The old Chrysler Cirrus/200 and Dodge Stratus, the forerunners to this car, were the laughingstocks of the mid-size sedan world, though the Chrysler convertible offered fun-in the-sun with a reasonably-sized rear seat for a reasonable price.
Old 06-03-14, 06:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...given the exterior dimensions, perhaps so, but it still borrows a lot from the Dodge Dart Compact, especially inside. I wish the Dart offered its V6, though.
I mean they're on the same platform and from the same corporate family, of course you're going to see some familiar switchgear, location of air vents, etc. The Jeep Cherokee has a similar theme going on. Point blank, the 200 is a size bigger than the Dart and is midsize family sedan that competes with the Fusion, Accord, etc.
Old 06-03-14, 06:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I mean they're on the same platform and from the same corporate family, of course you're going to see some familiar switchgear, location of air vents, etc. The Jeep Cherokee has a similar theme going on. Point blank, the 200 is a size bigger than the Dart and is midsize family sedan that competes with the Fusion, Accord, etc.
Your are correct, sir.
Old 06-03-14, 06:51 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are already offering a few thousands below MSRP, this is right off the bat. I think it even goes below invoice price. no takers.

this is not a good sign at all. usually cars have a strong demand when it's their debut new model design assuming it's good looking and desirable
Old 06-03-14, 06:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The 200 is 192.3" long, where the Fusion is 191.8". I'd say it's in the midsize category. The Dart is 183.9".
Old 06-03-14, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tantrix
they are already offering a few thousands below MSRP, this is right off the bat. I think it even goes below invoice price. no takers.

this is not a good sign at all. usually cars have a strong demand when it's their debut new model design assuming it's good looking and desirable
The old one (except perhaps for the fairly popular convertible) had such a poor reputation that it may be affecting the sales of the new one. That is why I keep telling people....this is not the old Chrysler any more, just as Chevy and Buick are not the old GM any longer.
Old 06-03-14, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The 200 is 192.3" long, where the Fusion is 191.8". I'd say it's in the midsize category. The Dart is 183.9".
Originally Posted by pbm317

LexBob2 and TangoRed are correct
Like I said, you guys may have a point. The 200 turned out to be a little longer than I had thought, and may indeed compete in size more with the Regal and Accord than with the Verano and ILX. Initial impressions, though, from the auto press (which apparently turned out to be wrong) was that it was essentially an upmarket Dodge Dart.
Old 06-03-14, 08:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you please provide proof of this? Because right now they can't even get enough 2015 200's to the dealer. They're not expecting to get a full supply to dealers until July. Also remember there are PLENTY of leftover last-gen 200's still sitting on lots taking in incentives. You seem hell-bent on trashing this car, so I'm plenty curious to see your sources. I can see a $1000 rebate which is normal for the class, but below invoice? Doubt it.

And an additional note- with these mid-size family sedan cars, it is actually normal to see $1000-$1500 rebates right from the get-go on new models. Nissan did this exact thing with the Altima, Ford with the Fusion, and Chevy with the Malibu.

Last edited by TangoRed; 06-03-14 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 07:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

What choice do they have? This could be the best car ever made in the history of the Universe, but it still comes with Chrysler's decades of reputation of building crappy cars. People need to be incentivized to start buying, if it's going to catch on.
Old 06-04-14, 08:12 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Some of you guys need to lighten up. If the market was made entirely of folks like you, it would be damned if you do, damned if you don't. You think Chrysler cars are crappy now(you wouldn't be entirely wrong), but if they try and actually put forth an honest effort into improving, you try and shut it down by saying they don't have a prayer.

Which is it? It's in the market's best interest that Chrysler do well. Competition is good. I hope the 200 is a stellar success.
Old 06-04-14, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
but it still comes with Chrysler's decades of reputation of building crappy cars.
That's the same excuse we heard 10 years ago about Hyundai and Kia....and it was wrong. Like it or not, times (and auto companies) DO change. We have also seen a lot of improvement in GM products lately.
Old 06-04-14, 09:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the same excuse we heard 10 years ago about Hyundai and Kia....and it was wrong. Like it or not, times (and auto companies) DO change. We have also seen a lot of improvement in GM products lately.
Agreed--but they needed to build momentum once they got it right; they couldn't blindly demand MSRP at that point. And look at where they are now--word finally got out.

Quick Reply: Review: 2015 Chrysler 200S AWD