Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Buick Verano / Excelle spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 10:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Buick Verano / Excelle spied for the first time

Could be introduced late next year

The 2016 Buick Verano / Excelle has been spied for the first time.

Caught undergoing testing in Germany, the redesigned model has an evolutionary appearance but adopts a sportier front bumper and a more prominent grille. We can also see door-mounted mirrors, a more dynamic roofline and a dual exhaust system.

The fact that the car is undergoing testing in Germany suggests it will be heavily influenced by the next-generation Opel / Vauxhall Astra sedan. This isn't too surprising as the current Verano is closely related to the outgoing Astra sedan.

There's no word on what will power the model but General Motors is in the midst of launching a new family of Ecotec engines. This likely means there could be some new additions under the hood.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405157...the-first-time
Old 05-15-14, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well isn't that fancy little fellow with it's exhaust cut outs
Old 05-15-14, 10:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't the side profile kinda look like the new Mazda3?

Old 05-15-14, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Doesn't the side profile kinda look like the new Mazda3?
I guess they share a similar profile. but then doesn't everything look like everything these days
Old 05-15-14, 10:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think their side profiles look very similar at all.
Old 05-15-14, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The fact that the car is undergoing testing in Germany suggests it will be heavily influenced by the next-generation Opel / Vauxhall Astra sedan.
Good....that's one of the things I like about the present model. The current-generation Astra is a highly regarded car in Europe. From what I've seen in the Buick-rebadged versions, I like the way that Opel builds a car and the materials they use.

This isn't too surprising as the current Verano is closely related to the outgoing Astra sedan.
Exactly. There is a lot of bad and/or false information in the media and auto-press about the Verano being essentially an upgraded Chevy Cruze. It is far closer to the Astra (even to the point of having an almost identical interior) than to the Cruze. The Cruze also has a different line of engines than the Verano.

One thing I don't like on this new version, though, are the (apparent) very large C-pillars. I hope that is just masking-tape covering up rear-quarter windows instead of an actual C-pillar that size, which would severely impact rear vision.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well isn't that fancy little fellow with it's exhaust cut outs
Yeah...my guess is that those dual outlets are the new turbo version. On the existing model, the N/A 2.4L has a single outlet, and the 2.0T double outlets.

BTW, for those who are not aware of it, this is currently the #1 selling car in China.....arguably the world's fastest-growing auto market.
Old 05-15-14, 09:00 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 293 Posts

I took a few test drives in the current Verano while looking for a car for my son, and I have to say it was a very good car. Comfortable, quiet and decent ride. Could use just a touch more legroom in the rear, but it was a great little car. It's much better than the Cruze.
Old 05-16-14, 01:16 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I took a few test drives in the current Verano while looking for a car for my son, and I have to say it was a very good car. Comfortable, quiet and decent ride. Could use just a touch more legroom in the rear, but it was a great little car. It's much better than the Cruze.
Agreed, test drove one as a replacement car for my parents. Its very well made and very quiet inside. They didn't like how small it was in the rear too.
Old 05-16-14, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with both swajames and jwong77, but I'd add that I think the car, nice as it already is, would be even nicer with a small V6 and slightly higher-profile tires. Buick should take a good look at the powerplant used in the Lexus IS250, though adapting it to a transverse-mount for FWD may not be simple.
Old 05-16-14, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

hopefully it will look better without camo, but right now it looks blandtastic.
Old 05-17-14, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hopefully it will look better without camo, but right now it looks blandtastic.

Shouldn't even have camo on it in the first place. Every time a new model comes out or is tested, it's the same nonsense .......spy shots, bras, and tape. Year after year; over and over again. I'm getting sick and tired of it...it's disgusting.

(I'm not blaming you, Hoovey......you can only post what is actually available. I blame the marketers and the PR people from the manufacturers...they're the ones that keep coming up with this bra and tape nonsense, forcing spy-shots that should't have to be spy-shots. )

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-17-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 08:15 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

the mazdaspeed3 sedan, Chevy cruze 2.0T ecotec, ford focus st sedan -- these are some of the vehicles Americans want but will never get to see because of manufacturer agenda driven politics, wouldn't want to make the compact sedan the most desirable car in the lineup. although the verano turbo can be had with a 6 speed, you will have to order it that way on blind faith since no dealers actually have these in inventory, not to mention you will have to accept an unnecessary step down in interior quality vs. the equally priced regal
Old 05-18-14, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shouldn't even have camo on it in the first place. Every time a new model comes out or is tested, it's the same nonsense .......spy shots, bras, and tape. Year after year; over and over again. I'm getting sick and tired of it...it's disgusting.

(I'm not blaming you, Hoovey......you can only post what is actually available. I blame the marketers and the PR people from the manufacturers...they're the ones that keep coming up with this bra and tape nonsense, forcing spy-shots that should't have to be spy-shots. )
I feel that it's the manufacturers vehicle, and they can do what they want with them. They must have a variety of reasons for wanting to add the camo prior to any unveiling,
Old 05-18-14, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the verano turbo can be had with a 6 speed, you will have to order it that way on blind faith since no dealers actually have these in inventory, not to mention you will have to accept an unnecessary step down in interior quality vs. the equally priced regal
No. IMO, you don't take a step down in interior quality with the Verano vs. the Regal. That's one of the reasons, BTW, why the Verano significantly outsells the Regal. Compare the two of them side by side in the showroom and I think you will agree with me. If not, then, fine...your opinion noted.

Also, compare the price tags and you will find that the Regal is in a significant higher price bracket.

Quick Reply: 2016 Buick Verano / Excelle spied for the first time