Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Squealing coming from front driver side wheel, not brake related.

Old 05-07-14, 12:14 PM
mdubs07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing coming from front driver side wheel, not brake related.

2001 Lexus is300 Automatic 3.0 I am hearing a 'squealing' noise coming from the front driver side wheel. It is not brake related, also unrelated to drive train as it is rear wheel drive.

Symptoms explained in detail.

The squeal is at a constant when moving 10+ miles an hour to really hear it, slower is very faint but its there. The pitch of the sound changes with speed, not with turning the wheel.

On the lift the wheel does not budge, solid, ruling out a wheel bearing? Also wheel bearings make a growling sound not a squeal.

If anyone can help me with any input or things I can try to find this annoying problem. Id greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-07-14, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

Which side of the front end do you hear the noise on? And does the car pull in that direction when it is moving? If so, that could indicate a drag on one of the front wheels....perhaps from slightly sticking or dragging brake-pads if the pistons in the caliper aren't releasing properly. This would also create some heat in the wheel....does it feel hotter than normal?.

Also, have you ruled out wind nose from something loose, down low in the front end, near the wheel, which could be making a squealing or whistling noise when exposed to the wind?
Old 05-08-14, 01:22 PM
mdubs07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmarshall. Thank you for your response. I hear the noise coming from the driver side front end @ the wheel. The car does not pull in the direction. The brakes are fine and acting correctly, it is not brake related, no additional heat noted. Wind noise has been ruled out as I've done multiple tests. I do however have uneven tire wear, and my alignment cant be properly adjusted considering my eccentric bolts are seized on the back left. I've rotated the tires with no change in noise. Mechanics have told me it is not a safety issue and not to worry. But it has been going on for months, and is starting to drive me nuts. Mechanic is willing to take apart the wheel and throw parts at it, but I don't have the time and money to be throwing around.
Old 05-08-14, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mdubs07
mmarshall. Thank you for your response. I hear the noise coming from the driver side front end @ the wheel. The car does not pull in the direction. The brakes are fine and acting correctly, it is not brake related, no additional heat noted. Wind noise has been ruled out as I've done multiple tests. I do however have uneven tire wear, and my alignment cant be properly adjusted considering my eccentric bolts are seized on the back left. I've rotated the tires with no change in noise. Mechanics have told me it is not a safety issue and not to worry. But it has been going on for months, and is starting to drive me nuts. Mechanic is willing to take apart the wheel and throw parts at it, but I don't have the time and money to be throwing around.
Have the mechanics looked at the wheel hub? A bad or misshapen hub could cause at least some of the problems you noted.