Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new twin scroll 2.0 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 06:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

p.s. Ouch, you are the first person i see that said that 2.0 turbo from BMW has lag... usually no reviewer ever write that - they say there is no lag at all.. and then when new engine is introduced, they say "unlike old engine that had lag, new one does not" :-).

Unfortunately, I am not in the car industry anymore so I dont get to test cars anymore. Around here even turbo petrols are becoming extinct, especially when it comes to SUVs.

I just checked X3 2.0 turbo efficiency in Germany, and CO2 is pretty high compared to their diesel, despite being updated 2.0l engine (it is not high in reality, but tax system is made to suit tiny cars). i sure hope Lexus can do some magic to the official EU numbers or else taxes will be high enough to make 2.0t not sellable in half of the europe.
Old 04-20-14, 06:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. Ouch, you are the first person i see that said that 2.0 turbo from BMW has lag... usually no reviewer ever write that - they say there is no lag at all.. and then when new engine is introduced, they say "unlike old engine that had lag, new one does not" :-).

Unfortunately, I am not in the car industry anymore so I dont get to test cars anymore. Around here even turbo petrols are becoming extinct, especially when it comes to SUVs.

I just checked X3 2.0 turbo efficiency in Germany, and CO2 is pretty high compared to their diesel, despite being updated 2.0l engine (it is not high in reality, but tax system is made to suit tiny cars). i sure hope Lexus can do some magic to the official EU numbers or else taxes will be high enough to make 2.0t not sellable in half of the europe.
I don't know what reviews say, but the X3 I drove certainly had quite a bit of turbo lag. Our X5 5.0 also has some turbo lag, but it has tons of torque, so the turbo lag is not an issue at all. Our old 335 however had virtually no turbo lag in sport mode - it was the model with twin turbos, no the single twin-scroll turbo model.
Old 04-20-14, 06:39 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I had my 535i for some turbo work the F30 328i I had had zero lag I loved that little motor.
Old 04-20-14, 07:17 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I really like about Toyota's V6 is how unruffled and silky smooth they are.

From the starter motor cranking till red line they're silky smooth..
Old 04-20-14, 08:01 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Imagine what V6TT will do.
Old 04-20-14, 08:22 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Have to second Och and Bit on the Ford v8. I've seen TONS of them with over 300,000 miles and still kicking. Even the old Windsor engines, such as the 351 in our truck is a solid engine that works hard and returns 16 mpg on the freeway doing 75-80 in an old F350.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-20-14, 08:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
What I really like about Toyota's V6 is how unruffled and silky smooth they are.

From the starter motor cranking till red line they're silky smooth..
If there's anything good I can say about the 3.0 in my dad's Sienna, it is that it runs smooth. Smokes like a fat redneck woman in a trailer park, but it is smooth.

Old 04-20-14, 10:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
Sure there is, never driven a high hp car with forced induction?

E60 vs F10 M5

M156 vs M157

the list goes on...

Tesla has no displacement and its faster than cars with a lot of displacement.

That statement held some merit in 1992.
That's a good point.

However, in the case of the M5, a lot of BMW enthusiasts were not happy with the switch from NA V10 to the new 4.4 liter Twin Turbo V8 (S63 engine). One of the disadvantages was that the redline is now lowered.

PLUS, the exhaust sound is downgraded and there is reduced intensity.

Hence, the only remedy is to purchase the optional BMW M Performance AKRAPOVIC exhaust system.

This is not only limited to the M5/M6.

Look at the new BMW M3/M4................they 'downgrade' from NA V8 to this new inline 6 twin turbo......and people were saying "my god, the exhaust is LIFELESS"

Again, it's not necessarily the manufacturer's fault.

But hell, even Formula One is following this trend. The V12, V10 and V8 engines sounded intense (which is what Formula One is about).

Now with these turbo V6 motors, F1 cars sound like lawnmowers.

Again, not necessarily the fault of the manufacturer or the firm.

You can blame governments..........or those motherf***ers that belong to Greenpeace. OR BOTH!!!
Old 04-20-14, 11:39 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

A turbo inline 6 MkIV Supra (with aftermarket exhaust, granted) is one of the sickest sounding engines in all of production-car land. Love it way more than any V8. I love it almost as much as I can't F-ing stand these hilariously-overpriced, flatulent, slow-*** Hardley-Ablesons that all these obnoxious wannabe bikers putt around on in AZ.

So I for one welcome the return of Japanese cars to turbos...and bring on the hybrid sports cars as well. Japanese cars are supposed to be about technology, not punched-out displacement. 20 years from now, an NA car will be viewed as a dinosaur.
Old 04-21-14, 02:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If there's anything good I can say about the 3.0 in my dad's Sienna, it is that it runs smooth. Smokes like a fat redneck woman in a trailer park, but it is smooth.

The 3.0L 1MZ-FE is very old, I think from 1994. But yes it's extremely smooth and it's no less fuel efficent than other V6's from that time. It has also won a few awards.
Toyota, Honda & Nissan's VQ are generally the best V6's around..

For reference sake we used to have a GM vehicle with the 3800 V6 and well it was crap. Extremely unrefined and weak for its 3.8L size.

What was Ford's V6 like in the mid 90s?

Last edited by yowps3; 04-21-14 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 02:39 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The 3.0L 1MZ-FE is very old, I think from 1994. But yes it's extremely smooth and it's no less fuel efficent than other V6's from that time. It has also won a few awards.
Toyota, Honda & Nissan's VQ are generally the best V6's around..

For reference sake we used to have a GM vehicle with the 3800 V6 and well it was crap. Extremely unrefined and weak for its 3.8L size.

What was Ford's V6 like in the mid 90s?
3.0 Duratec V6 in the passenger cars and 4.0L "Cologne" V6 in the trucks/suvs were common
Old 04-21-14, 03:43 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My MPG guess is 23/31.
Kind of funny that an old 1998 Z28 convertible I had, LS1 V8/6 speed, about 350hp, got 19-20mpg in town and 30mpg on the highway. Provided I kept my foot out of it in town, and cruised at 65mph. Not too far off.

Granted if you drove it like you stole it, and didn't take advantage of its tall gearing, well it wasn't that efficient.
Old 04-21-14, 05:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Kind of funny that an old 1998 Z28 convertible I had, LS1 V8/6 speed, about 350hp, got 19-20mpg in town and 30mpg on the highway. Provided I kept my foot out of it in town, and cruised at 65mph. Not too far off.

Granted if you drove it like you stole it, and didn't take advantage of its tall gearing, well it wasn't that efficient.
yeah, well SUVs have a lot worse aero than vette....
Old 04-21-14, 05:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Anyways, count me in the group that prefers a V8 but settled for a V6.
why did you settle? it's not like you can't get a V8 in a car anymore.....
Old 04-21-14, 06:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Back to the 2.0 Turbo topic :-)

We got confirmation:

"Through valve timing, when you want performance, you get Otto cycle," Templin said. "When you want efficiency, you get Atkinson cycle."
Thats cool then... they just released their 1.3l in new Yaris today, which uses same tech and is part of 14 engines they will release by 2015 with this... they managed to get 30% better fuel consumption on already very efficient engine!

So Turbo should be very efficient as well.

I wonder if this will go to their hybrids in the future as well - ability to switch between otto cycle and atkinson electrically means that possibly they could use otto cycle when you go into sports mode.

This would be quite big - imagine Ct200h/Prius getting extra 32hp in sports mode, it would make them a lot quicker... or even Camry/NX - extra 30hp on flick of the switch. Not sure if they will do it, because then when gunned, hybrids wont get any better efficiency than normal Otto engine... but still, it is possible.

Quick Reply: The new twin scroll 2.0 turbo