Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 11:21 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?

In pursuit of quiet vehicle one would obviously pick a luxury brand. I naturally gravitated towards Lexus. In the several months I've owned the 2009 RX 350 I've come to realize this isn't such a quiet vehicle. Want to see? Using this meter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound
I registered 38-40 db at idle on a quiet night in a residential neighborhood at my friends house.
Out of curiosity using the same meter I took a reading of my friends Ford F250 diesel at idle. Wait for it...............
45db. A 5 db difference at eye level. Both of us were shocked.
Going down the freeway the meter bounces around 75+-3. Near my knees it's closer to 80! By the window on the driver side 76 db.
Folks I can't tell you how aggravating this is as I just put a 4k sound system in there and it's having to fight the natural environment of a supposedly "Luxury" ride.
So out of curiosity could you do me a HUGE favor and see what tour vehicle is at idle with the above app. You can delete it once your done.
I guess I'll be doing a triple layer sound deadening in the future.
Thanks for the read.
Old 02-10-15, 11:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

3 dB is twice the sound intensity, but it takes about +10 dB for the human ear to perceive the sound as "twice as loud".

You need to take into account the frequencies involved. I can assure you 75 dB at 400hz is a lot less annoying than 70 dB at 2Khz.
Old 02-10-15, 11:46 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Obviously you have no idea what "dB" means or how it measures.. FYI, every 3 Db is twice as loud says the person who likes to state numbers.. So if the discrepancy is 5 BD, thats almost 4 times as loud.. (Please understand how sound is measure before you Blanket statements of how Loud something is...)
Oh please educate me. I love people like you who come along with their physics degree.
I'm sitting in my friends truck right now and I can emphatically tell you it's NOT four times louder than my Lexus. Think before you write.
Old 02-10-15, 11:56 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
3 dB is twice the sound intensity, but it takes about +10 dB for the human ear to perceive the sound as "twice as loud".

You need to take into account the frequencies involved. I can assure you 75 dB at 400hz is a lot less annoying than 70 dB at 2Khz.
True true. I agree. Taking a frequency test using this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DanielBach.FrequenSee
I'm attempting to nail it down. But it doesn't have a "freeze" frame so I'll have to have my wife take a pic while on the road.
Old 02-11-15, 12:00 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

A cool site.....not sure how accurate it is. Sound like it's in the ball park.
http://www.auto-decibel-db.com

and look who should come out on top!(Not the RX 350) but a Lexus anyway....

http://elevatingsound.com/the-price-of-quiet-driving/

Last edited by rxonmymind; 02-11-15 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Want to see?
I've got several possibilities for this.

First, how old are your tires, and what kind of shape are your tires in? Most tires typically roll quietest, with the least amount of road noise, when they are brand-new, increasing very gradually in noise level as the tread blocks wear (sometimes unevenly) and the rubber itself ages with cracks and dryness. Second, have any of the roads you usually drive on been repaved since you bought the vehicle? More and more roads these days, for safety reasons, are getting porous anti-skid surfaces on them, and, compared to older smoother types of paving, that tends to significantly increase road noise, no matter what the age or condition of the tires. Third, your vehicle is going on six years old now, and the rubber weather seals around the doors and windows, which also play an important part of keeping out wind noise, probably aren't in new condition either, unless you have just replaced them. They may not be forming perfect seals any longer. Fourth, we're in the dead of winter, even though Sacramento, where you live, is not known for severe winters. Still, all else equal, as temperature drops, rubber seals and tires get less pliable, less able to form tight seals, and more likely to transfer road and wind noise into the cabin.

My strong guess is that your vehicle is being affected by at least some of these factors, and possibly (?) all of them. And another guess is that, all else equal, you will notice a slightly quieter vehicle come warmer temperatures in a few months.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 06:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a '09 and a newer generation '10 X350 and found the '09 rode smoother and was quieter.
Old 02-11-15, 07:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Come to think of it, you're not the first to say the RX is a 'loud' vehicle. I've even heard accounts where the older RX330 was quieter.
Old 02-11-15, 07:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Come to think of it, you're not the first to say the RX is a 'loud' vehicle. I've even heard accounts where the older RX330 was quieter.
2009 RX is old one... 2010 would be new one.
Old 02-11-15, 07:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
2009 RX is old one... 2010 would be new one.
I was referring to the 04-06 RX330 vs 07-09 RX350 since the OP has the latter version. Lexus 'upgraded' the insulation in the 350 so it should provide quieter ride. I haven't been in the older RX330, but even the current 2010+ is not that insulated for a $50k vehicle. Hopefully the 4RX fixes this since I'm in line for one.
Old 02-11-15, 08:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the new(er) ones have a stiff(er) suspension, thus transmitting NVH more easily to the frame and cabin.
Old 02-11-15, 08:39 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've got several possibilities for this.

First, how old are your tires, and what kind of shape are your tires in? Most tires typically roll quietest, with the least amount of road noise, when they are brand-new, increasing very gradually in noise level as the tread blocks wear (sometimes unevenly) and the rubber itself ages with cracks and dryness. Second, have any of the roads you usually drive on been repaved since you bought the vehicle? More and more roads these days, for safety reasons, are getting porous anti-skid surfaces on them, and, compared to older smoother types of paving, that tends to significantly increase road noise, no matter what the age or condition of the tires. Third, your vehicle is going on six years old now, and the rubber weather seals around the doors and windows, which also play an important part of keeping out wind noise, probably aren't in new condition either, unless you have just replaced them. They may not be forming perfect seals any longer. Fourth, we're in the dead of winter, even though Sacramento, where you live, is not known for severe winters. Still, all else equal, as temperature drops, rubber seals and tires get less pliable, less able to form tight seals, and more likely to transfer road and wind noise into the cabin.

My strong guess is that your vehicle is being affected by at least some of these factors, and possibly (?) all of them. And another guess is that, all else equal, you will notice a slightly quieter vehicle come warmer temperatures in a few months.
First thank you for a thorough analysis. My tires(tyres for you Brits ) are fairly new. As for the seals I see no undue wear such as cracking, peeling or shrinkage. But I do think a quieter brand of tires could have perhaps been chosen.

All your points are well taken while on the freeway. It's the "echo" within the cabin/ cargo area and floor from the fronts seats that emit the loudest noise. Once going over a 25 yard section of patched concrete highway which at 75 is fairly quick my ears picked up on the buzz saw like noise coming from the passenger floor as I went over it. When my eyes direct me to a sound either it's LOUD or unique enough to warrant a look. Took this meter over that same spot last night and it registered/spiked @ 90 DB. To ME that's loud. Like the sound "blew" through the floor. Unacceptable and it will be addressed.
Anyway how about my friends F250. 45 db at idle! Amazing.

Again thanks for contributing.
Old 02-11-15, 08:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Drove my moms 04 RX330 a lot of times, and had a 2010 RX350 for a loaner, both were really quite IMO.
Old 02-11-15, 08:44 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had a '09 and a newer generation '10 X350 and found the '09 rode smoother and was quieter.
No complaints on smoothness. But to take an actual reading was something else that sort of dispels those rumors. Perhaps having been in a quiet vehicle my ears have become in tune to it's louder aspects and maybe it IS still a quiet vehicle. Mind games?
Old 02-11-15, 08:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
No complaints on smoothness. But to take an actual reading was something else that sort of dispels those rumors. Perhaps having been in a quiet vehicle my ears have become in tune to it's louder aspects and maybe it IS still a quiet vehicle. Mind games?

Things got a big louder and rougher riding when Toyota/Lexus decided to go with more handling vs the soft ride of the past.

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?