Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 01:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pleased to see this redesign, because I posted here 2 years ago when the Camry was announced that the car looked **** and would be redesigned within a couple of years.

I called this correctly. I called the HS cancellation correctly.

Now I'm waiting for a wholesale redesign of the front end of the Lexus GS any day now (I predicted when it was launched that they would refresh within 2-3 years to a full grille as seen on IS).
Old 04-18-14, 01:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I enjoyed this quote from the comments on Jalopnik.

I was at the Camry stand just a few minutes ago and walked up to two Volkswagen of America guys looking the new car over. They were talking halfway between disgusted and confused ("Why did they do that?"). I chimed in to ask if they were talking about the fake window on the c-pillar and they said yes.

Then the VW USA guy goes

"Yeah, but people will still buy it."

I reply, "Yeah, but for how long?"

"Always. It's a Camry."

I tell him, "That's what they said about the Cutlass."

He looked at me like I was a little crazy, and the two guys walked off. True story.
Old 04-18-14, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
This is what's weird about it. As Jalopnik puts it: :the one detail that cheapens the 2015 Camry". Cheap black plastic meant to look like a window. This is the kind of **** associated with the old GM.

http://jalopnik.com/the-one-detail-t...mry-1563760482
we seem to be pretty similar in taste!
Old 04-18-14, 01:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I enjoyed this quote from the comments on Jalopnik.
I saw that comment as well.

i found that pretty funny, considering how little money VW spent on redesigning Jetta despite sales being so low that Subaru outsells them these days.

It is not their fault though, it is sheep buying Camry

:-)
Old 04-18-14, 02:25 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

80% of people who buys Camry CARELESS about these details. All they care about is Reliability, Economically, Roominess. It has been proven for the last decade.
Old 04-18-14, 03:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

^
Agreed

Cant compare Toyota to old GM cars because on Average they are still at the top in reliability and resale value.
The regular midsize buyer cares only about that.
Old 04-18-14, 04:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Agreed

Cant compare Toyota to old GM cars because on Average they are still at the top in reliability and resale value.
The regular midsize buyer cares only about that.
i dont doubt for a second that if Toyota slips, they will all rush up front to take its place.
This is why Camry gets such upgrade for its 3rd year.

Haters want to believe it is just luck or sheep mentality, thats just crazy... look at Avalon sales before and after the new model - it was dead in 2012 and now it is selling like crazy.

I would not be surprised if Avalon was a Toyota test to see what happens when car that was usually angled towards older drivers, gets total makeover when it comes to the looks. It worked and then they applied that to the Camry as well to max extent possible.
Old 04-18-14, 04:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I would not be surprised if Avalon was a Toyota test to see what happens when car that was usually angled towards older drivers, gets total makeover when it comes to the looks. It worked and then they applied that to the Camry as well to max extent possible.
Doubt that. With Avalon, they could afford to make a huge risk, because it was nearly dead anyways.

They're not going to take huge gambles on the Camry.
Old 04-18-14, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Doubt that. With Avalon, they could afford to make a huge risk, because it was nearly dead anyways.

They're not going to take huge gambles on the Camry.
how do you mean "going to"? They already did.. front end of Camry is far more risky than Avalon.
Old 04-18-14, 08:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Haters want to believe it is just luck or sheep mentality, thats just crazy... look at Avalon sales before and after the new model - it was dead in 2012 and now it is selling like crazy.

It's crazy, like most people, I never cared about the Avalon. Boring senior citizen car....right?

The new car has increasingly peaked my interest to the point that it is the car I lust over the most. I'm 35 years old and I want one badly. Can't afford one though. I'm thinking of buying a 3 year old one in a few years unless the next all new Camry really impresses.
Old 04-18-14, 08:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

the newer Avalon is pretty nice with the factory body kit.
Old 04-19-14, 08:40 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
80% of people who buys Camry CARELESS about these details. All they care about is Reliability, Economically, Roominess. It has been proven for the last decade.
Right but it's not the 80% that makes Toyota number 1 in the segment. It's the 20% of swing buyers that are at risk and its for them that this remodel is taking place.

I think its a good redesign on the back of a screwed up initial design. Except for the black plastic fake window which was completely unnecessary.
Old 04-19-14, 09:10 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I guess I don't think the 2012 design was bad. It looked OK, which is what the camry is. The new redesign didn't look bad either. People will buy it anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-19-14, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Now I'm waiting for a wholesale redesign of the front end of the Lexus GS any day now (I predicted when it was launched that they would refresh within 2-3 years to a full grille as seen on IS).
Considering the GS is the only one left without a full Spindle it's safe to say we saw this coming
Old 04-19-14, 11:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Considering the GS is the only one left without a full Spindle it's safe to say we saw this coming
i have been waiting for that for years :P

that and 2.0t.

Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York