Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 03:45 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you do realize that design changes in 7 years?

Back in 2007, IS and GS were fresh designs and they looked awesome. They didnt have big grilles and they were better for it... today they look old and stale.

Things change.

Back in 2007, everyone thought that 4cly turbos were crap and everyone wanted V8's....

most cars will age. things will look dated. but a great design stands out. wannabe great design makes short lived splash and ultimately fades away. we see it all the time.

"If you don't get noticed, you don't have anything. You just have to be noticed, but the art is in getting noticed naturally, without screaming or without tricks."
-Leo Burnett

i know toyota is trying. but man, they are so far and away to achieve that enlightenment again. they've done that time to time historically. Supra for example.
it's tough being a car maker. great design is hard to find.
Old 04-17-14, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
most cars will age. things will look dated. but a great design stands out. wannabe great design makes short lived splash and ultimately fades away. we see it all the time.

"If you don't get noticed, you don't have anything. You just have to be noticed, but the art is in getting noticed naturally, without screaming or without tricks."
-Leo Burnett

i know toyota is trying. but man, they are so far and away to achieve that enlightenment again. they've done that time to time historically. Supra for example.
it's tough being a car maker. great design is hard to find.
again, thats your impression and has nothing to do pulling out opinions on design from 7 years ago.

Design is not static, and I certainly dont agree on the quote from 50-60 years ago. Best looking cars are not elegant anymore.
Old 04-17-14, 05:48 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
you do realize that design changes in 7 years?

Back in 2007, IS and GS were fresh designs and they looked awesome. They didnt have big grilles and they were better for it... today they look old and stale.

Things change.

Back in 2007, everyone thought that 4cly turbos were crap and everyone wanted V8's....
Many people still prefer 2IS over the 3IS

We will see how the 3IS holds up in 8yrs time

-the 2IS is referred to as stylish, handsome & elegant, very timeless in fact.
The same cannot be said for the 3IS
Old 04-17-14, 06:27 PM
LexFather

I'm not arguing with someone that might not even own a car and gives us his Hyundai styling analysis in every thread.

Smh...

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
I'm not saying they're the same car with that picture. Pointing out specifically, the shape of the spindle / hourglass grill on both cars that is alike and asking why it's being pulled from the Lexus playbook instead of coming up with a look that is more in line with what Toyota did for Avalon, Highlander and Corolla.
He bud sorry didn't mean to make it seem like I was
Picking on you. I was not.

Let's all wait to see it in person. The internet (and the Same group here) went crazy on the Lexus grill "omg predator" and they jumped to te Camry "OMG lexus".

Quite a few posters make a great point: they complain the Camry is bland and now they complain it's ugly/too much.

I'm going to show some friends at Toyota this for a great chuckle, if they haven't already done so. Cause guess what, the Camry will still sell like hotcakes

And Phil what enthusiasts? We got the same people complaining about styling and not saying one thing about the chassis improvements.

Old 04-17-14, 07:50 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
I'm not arguing with someone that might not even own a car and gives us his Hyundai styling analysis in every thread.
yeah, i'm actually 15 and i ride a bmx. and if i get lucky, my first car will be 20 year old hyundai accent.
Old 04-17-14, 07:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hlee12 and Lexfather, please exit his thread

Everybody lets knock off the personal comments please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-19-14 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added personal comment
Old 04-17-14, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Saw the new Camry in the flesh today!!!!!!!! It was a silver XLE just as in the pictures above and this thing looks SMOOOOOOOOTH in person. It has quite a bit of flair to it with the rounded shape. Although it has literally lost a bit of its edginess, I don't think we have anything to be worried about.
congrats! you're in michigan though? wonder why it was there. winter testing?

Although interior obviously looks largely the same, material quality is indeed IMPROVED.
one you saw was parked? and you didn't take any pics?
Old 04-17-14, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

While I think the car is a huge improvement over the pre-refresh car (which is an understatement...its a HUGE improvement) the carryover roofline is a little awkward with the rest of the long, low styling of the car...and the fact that the rear doors are the same doors, with that "faux" edge line pressed into the C pillars is pretty funny.

I am a little taken aback by the grille though...definately a lot of influence coming from Lexus here. The most successful Camrys have had a "Lexus" look and feel...but this is a little over the top IMHO. I do agree that it will dilute the look at will undo some of the differentiation they've been working on with Lexus...
Old 04-17-14, 09:00 PM
deepoSC300
Driver School Candidate

maybe one for the family
Old 04-17-14, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i personally don't like the c-pillar, something weird about it. the front grille is a mix, but i kind of wish they deviate away from lexus more. interior though got good updates
Old 04-18-14, 01:26 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Check out this computer simulated video that looks into some of the design and engineering features that have been incorporated into the 2015 Camry.
Kelley Blue Book coverage of the 2015 Toyota Camry revealed at the 2014 New York Auto Show.
Old 04-18-14, 09:14 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

So all they did was a bit more welding to the chassis? Let's see how that helps with passing the small overlap crash test. I would think they'd need more extensive structural improvements for that.
Old 04-18-14, 09:24 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
^^

So all they did was a bit more welding to the chassis? Let's see how that helps with passing the small overlap crash test. I would think they'd need more extensive structural improvements for that.
The 2014 Camry already got an "Acceptable" rating in the small overlap frontal crash test, so the refreshed Camry should perform at least the same if not better.

I'm anxious to see the first "Good" rating from a Toyota/Lexus though.
Old 04-18-14, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
^^

they already changed crash structure in 2014.5 models to pass small overlap, so "previous" model already had that... more welds increase torsional rigidity for better handling.
Old 04-18-14, 01:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i personally don't like the c-pillar, something weird about it. the front grille is a mix, but i kind of wish they deviate away from lexus more. interior though got good updates
This is what's weird about it. As Jalopnik puts it: :the one detail that cheapens the 2015 Camry". Cheap black plastic meant to look like a window. This is the kind of **** associated with the old GM.

http://jalopnik.com/the-one-detail-t...mry-1563760482

Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York