Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD

Old 04-02-14, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
According to Consumer Reports, "the entry level Verano is based on the Cruze, but with more upscale trimmings".

So that would also make the Cruze based on the Astra. No?
The Astra, Verano, and Cruze are all Delta II platforms. The Astra, Cruze and Verano are all significantly related, Astra uses the Cruze engines while the Verano uses only a select Cruze engine, Verano also has an exclusive 2.4 than the Astra does not use. Verano uses the interior of Astra J while the rest of the Verano come from the Cruze. Same thing with the transmissions.

The Verano uses a torsion beam rear suspension, that is what a Corolla uses, that is what a Cruze uses as well.
Old 04-02-14, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes too much emphasis is put on badges and logos. What matters is what is under the badge. That's how I judge a car....and its competitors.
That is fine, then I think you need to go back and re-think about your comparison of a Verano and a Lexus IS.

First and foremost, the starting MSRP of the IS is $13,000 higher than that of the Verano, then there are facts such as the Verano being FWD (IS RW and AWD), the Verano uses struts at the front and a torsion bar set up at the rear (IS uses double wishbone front and mulit link rear). Lets also not forget that the IS is available with adaptive variable suspension in the F-Sport option and the IS also comes with two available V6 engines.

They do not compete with the IS, at all.

Comparing a Verano to the IS would almost be like comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Dodge Ram.
Old 04-02-14, 03:50 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Australia we call Cruze the Crude lol

And that's what it is. Junk
Old 04-02-14, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
In Australia we call Cruze the Crude lol

And that's what it is. Junk
LOL, I don't know if I would call the Cruze junk, but looking at the individual parts of the Cruze, Verano, and Astra J I think the individual parts leave a lot to be desired.

When I look at ATS on the other hand, there are no arguments, it competes head on with the Lexus IS.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-02-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 04:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes too much emphasis is put on badges and logos. What matters is what is under the badge. That's how I judge a car....and its competitors.

We're seeing that, now, to some extent. with the newer BMWs. They still have the same famed blue-white propeller on the hood, but what's under the badge is not quite the same magnet any more to driving-enthusiasts it has been for decades.
I have to agree, and disagree at the same time.

On the one had, I don't see how one can say that any Buick cannot compete with any Lexus. I don't think this is true; in fact, I think the ES and the Lacrosse are direct competitors. Just because something may pale in comparison, doesn't mean that its not a competitor--just a weak one.

On the other hand, I can't just say that it's "under the badge" that matters. That would mean that a Toyota Highlander is a direct competitor with an RX350; I can't really accept that. A Highlander Limited may be a good low-cost alternative, but it's not a competitor. Nor is a Pilot vs an MDX.
Old 04-03-14, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have to agree, and disagree at the same time.

On the one had, I don't see how one can say that any Buick cannot compete with any Lexus. I don't think this is true; in fact, I think the ES and the Lacrosse are direct competitors. Just because something may pale in comparison, doesn't mean that its not a competitor--just a weak one.

On the other hand, I can't just say that it's "under the badge" that matters. That would mean that a Toyota Highlander is a direct competitor with an RX350; I can't really accept that. A Highlander Limited may be a good low-cost alternative, but it's not a competitor. Nor is a Pilot vs an MDX.
Some good points, tex.

But, actually, even if you look under the badge, though they are obviously done on the same platform, there are significant differences between the Highlander and RX350. The amount of sound-insulation used, the interior trim, the damped-feel to some of the controls, and several other more-refined features are more noticeable in the RX. The extra money spent for an RX over a Highlander, IMO, generally buys a more pleasant vehicle, though the Highlander, with its boxier, styling, is admittedly more space-efficient inside.
Old 04-03-14, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Cruze actually has closer ties to Daewoo than to Opel. I don't know why CR didn't pick that up this time....they are usually pretty good about things like that. But check the images above. You can see for yourself the extremely close relationship between the Astra and Verano....it's unmistakable. The main difference is the GM powertrain and Buick Quiet Tuning of the Verano.

In fact, that's one reason why I purchased a Verano in the first place. If it had been built with the same materials inside as the LaCrosse, or been simply a rebadged Cruze, I would have passed it up.

The Cruze and Verano are definitely cousins. The question is are they 1st or 2nd cousins.
Old 04-03-14, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Cruze and Verano are definitely cousins. The question is are they 1st or 2nd cousins.
VERY distant cousins at most. Drive the two of them and you'll see for yourself.
Old 04-03-14, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, folks...IMO, we've all gotten somewhat off-topic (yes, me included). The thread topic is the new 3Gen IS. But we've spent so much time on Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, and Opel that we kind of lost sight of that.
Old 04-03-14, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I would say they are related a little closer than that, brothers is what I would say. The Verano/Cruze is the modern day equivalent of the Buick Skylark/Oldsmobile Achieva. Would you ever compare the Skylark/ Achieva to a Lexus IS300?
Old 04-03-14, 11:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually, I would say they are related a little closer than that, brothers is what I would say. The Verano/Cruze is the modern day equivalent of the Buick Skylark/Oldsmobile Achieva. Would you ever compare the Skylark/ Achieva to a Lexus IS300?
If you are reaching out to compare a car that's over 20 years old, from arguably the worst era in GM history to make your point, you have officially lost me...

Last edited by tex2670; 04-03-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-14, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Verano/Cruze is the modern day equivalent of the Buick Skylark/Oldsmobile Achieva.
To directly quote Car & Driver magazine, in their first Verano review, they said the Verano was enough to make one FINALLY forget the 1992 Skylark for good.

Would you ever compare the Skylark/ Achieva to a Lexus IS300?
I owned an IS300 for almost five years, and put a fair number of miles on it. No, as tex2760 (correctly) pointed out, a 20-25 year-old GM design cannot compare with a Lexus design barely half that age. Some current Buicks/Cadillacs, though, are a different story. And, IMO, even more important......in some ways, the 1Gen IS300 was more solidly-built than its new 3Gen grandson. The 1Gen IS300, like the original SC300/400, LS400, and LS430, was a quality benchmark for Lexus.

Though there were definitely some things about the 1Gen IS300 I didn't like (mostly in the 5AT transmission's shifter action and programming), in 5 years, I had only one minor warranty repair, outside of routine service........an inoperative lower-front fog light. To date, in my Verano, I've had none.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 10:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you are reaching out to compare a car that's over 20 years old, from arguably the worst era in GM history to make your point, you have officially lost me...
I dunno, with the recent recall and cover-up by GM of the (57-cent) ignition switches, I think things haven't changed at all.
Old 04-04-14, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno, with the recent recall and cover-up by GM of the (57-cent) ignition switches, I think things haven't changed at all.
Those were on older GM cars.....produced before the buyout/reorganization. I myself didn't think much of them. I panned some of them them in reviews, but for other reasons. And are they any worse than runaway Toyota/Lexus electronic throttles? Both GM and Toyota took a lot of heat from the government for questionable designs. So did Ford (and Firestone) for Explorer/Mountaineer roll-overs, though, IMO, owner-neglect of tire PSI's also played a role in that one.
Old 07-16-14, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I attending at Lexus open house today at a local dealer by invite only. I got to test drive almost every Lexus available.

The Lexus IS is a stunning work of art for Lexus. They have finally designed a true BMW competitor that really makes driving enjoyable (if that is your thing).

The IS has finally developed it own personality compared to the rest of the Lexus line and what Lexus is traditionally known for.

I know the 2.5 and 3.5 are carryover engines, but they are using them differently compared to the last model. Sport mode really changes the feel of the engine.

Inside is great. The materials are very good and the design is great. Again, its got its own personality inside.

Overall, the current IS is the best IS today.

As for F-sport, the trick gauge cluster is awesome. The feel of the car is different than the IS regular.

What a great car.

And for mmarshall, you really are off in your idea that a Verano even comes close to the IS. They should never be compared, EVER. The IS is In a whole different league than a Verano.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD