Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

Old 03-28-14, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Yup and honestly I can barely consider a "luxury" badged vehicle missing that many basic items as competition. The NX clearly steers far away from this vanilla offering, the NX is more in the Evoque style as I mentioned quite some time ago.

They are competitors maybe due to size and price but I expect the two at complete opposite ends of the spectrum in the class.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the RDX is missing some features that should be standard INCLUDING SH-AWD which is their biggest omission IMO, but an upscale competitor nonetheless. I wouldn't call it luxury, barely premium but certainly upscale.
Old 03-28-14, 02:09 PM
socalcpa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Don't get me wrong, I understand the RDX is missing some features that should be standard INCLUDING SH-AWD which is their biggest omission IMO, but an upscale competitor nonetheless. I wouldn't call it luxury, barely premium but certainly upscale.
Why should AWD be standard? RX, GLK and now X3 all offer 2WD versions. Here in So Cal, 2WD versions outsell AWD versions by a wide margin due to lower cost, lighter weight, better MPG, arguably better reliability and no need for extra traction in snow / ice. To me, RDX packaging makes a lot of sense - offer a base model in the low $30K range, fully loaded in the high $30K range. Hope NX will follow the same pricing model (but with more available stand-alone options instead of bundled packages).
Old 03-28-14, 02:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by socalcpa
Why should AWD be standard? RX, GLK and now X3 all offer 2WD versions. Here in So Cal, 2WD versions outsell AWD versions by a wide margin due to lower cost, lighter weight, better MPG, arguably better reliability and no need for extra traction in snow / ice. To me, RDX packaging makes a lot of sense - offer a base model in the low $30K range, fully loaded in the high $30K range. Hope NX will follow the same pricing model (but with more available stand-alone options instead of bundled packages).
Actually I missed a comma and had a run on sentence when I mentioned standard features and segway'd into drivetrain.

My gripe is that the RDX does not have SH-AWD and rather uses now some pleblian AWD system (1st RDX used SH-AWD) when Acura should be implementing SH-AWD as an option on all their cars similar to Audi does with Quattro.
Old 03-28-14, 03:35 PM
socalcpa
Driver School Candidate

Acura sells a lot more RDXs with a cheaper AWD system than they did with a more complex SH-AWD in the prior generation. The current AWD does just fine when extra traction is needed. This is not a performance car, people buy it with AWD to get better snow traction, not to take on turns and curves faster. Sure SH-AWD is better, but in this segment its all about the value and function, and the extra cost and complexity does not yield the returns. I'm sure Acura did market studies before they decided on the final design, and the current sales prove they made the right call.
Old 03-28-14, 04:04 PM
Hoovey689

Acura sells a lot more RDXs with a cheaper AWD system than they did with a more complex SH-AWD in the prior generation. The current AWD does just fine when extra traction is needed. This is not a performance car, people buy it with AWD to get better snow traction, not to take on turns and curves faster. Sure SH-AWD is better, but in this segment its all about the value and function, and the extra cost and complexity does not yield the returns. I'm sure Acura did market studies before they decided on the final design, and the current sales prove they made the right call.
Where's the value in a X3 or Q5? No in this "segment" err Tier it's about whats on the hood. It's about brand power and image. By going the route you just described, Acura is only giving up any glimmer of hope that it will ever be anything more than a glorified Honda. It's a damn shame. Sure Lexus and Acura and Infiniti started as value Luxury brands, but they had to because they needed an edge into getting people to try something other than your typical German and British Luxury badges which hold pedigree and badge power. Fast forward and Lexus is finally pushing upmarket and we'll soon see more six-digit cars, more luxury and more performance . Sure theres still some value in cars like the IS, ES, RX good features and standard equiptment for a price, and yet they still compare some several thousand dollars less than their Euro equivalents. Now imagine closing in on that gap with more features and better quality materials and theres an excellent chance they'll still come up cheaper. Meanwhile Acura and Infiniti still search for an identity. Lexus knows they want to be a Luxury brand and that is what they are doing as well as Cadillac. Lincoln is in the same boat as Acura and Infiniti.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-28-14 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-14, 04:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So, back to the original thread title, will the NX come out on top? Or, where will it fall in among X3, Q5, GLK, RDX etc.? My guess, and that's what we're doing here is that it will sell in equal numbers to the competition and not above. Big RX sales will keep a lot of the Lexus buyers.
Old 03-28-14, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
So, back to the original thread title, will the NX come out on top? Or, where will it fall in among X3, Q5, GLK, RDX etc.? My guess, and that's what we're doing here is that it will sell in equal numbers to the competition and not above. Big RX sales will keep a lot of the Lexus buyers.
i guess it depends on what "come out on top" means... pure sales or performance?

Is it going to be GS or ES?

I would prefer it to be GS, and that sells a lot less than ES :-)
Old 03-28-14, 04:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's hard to say because the aforementioned all have a headstart and with social media the Germans are hounding. Macan will do well to despite the easily inflated price tag with a few options. And honestly the next RX will dictate whether people downsize to the NX or continue to accept its evolution. As far as I'm concerned it's anybody's ball game. Just too early tell with so many variables. That said, if the answer was today and the question was "Will the NX come out on top" my answer is No it would not. RX would still lead it and the NX would be far and away with little buzz generated until it's debut and release.
Old 03-28-14, 05:43 PM
LexFather

The X3, Q5 seem to be favorites in the class. The GLK will be redesigned soon. The NX again is going for the more personal and stylish goal of the Range Rover Evoque. I think if people respond and like the NX for its style, the NX offers a new class leading or at least near the top power train, high MPG, a fine interior with solid options all while driving sportiest in class then it will find its niche. I'm really curious to find out how it drives. The only small ute that seems to have nailed driving engagement is the Porsche Macon which is much more expensive.

If people are looking for the NX to sell in huge quantities it won't, that is not the goal. The RX is still the sales leader.

What value? The base car has nearly nothing it, not even fog lamps and halogen lights. Even with options its missing basic features on Fords, Kia's, Hyundais, Toyotas, even their own Honda Civic. Seriously no rear A/C vents? There is no value.

Sure the car sells well and its rather bland, sub-par, uninspiring and lacking features that one would expect of a "luxury" badge. Acura is only fooling themselves if they think success is selling more and taking out features and obviously being worst in class, if you even consider it to be in this class.

Old 03-28-14, 07:58 PM
socalcpa
Driver School Candidate

"Sure the car sells well and its rather bland, sub-par, uninspiring and lacking features that one would expect of a "luxury" badge. Acura is only fooling themselves if they think success is selling more and taking out features and obviously being worst in class, if you even consider it to be in this class. "

How can a bland sub par uninspiring and lacking features car sell so well? Acura clearly has done something right. Moreover, they are selling / leasing them without resorting to major lease incentives, at pretty standard unsubsidized money factors (unlike an RX that sometimes gets discounted by close to 20% with all the incentives and leases at a majorly subsidized money factor). I think this car is a really nice value proposition for most families - great engine, good MPG, nicely designed and executed interior and a premium brand with great reliability and resale value. The car has everything that most people demand when you add the optional package. All for marginally more than similar sized non-premium suvs and for much less than X3s or Q5s.
Old 03-28-14, 08:35 PM
LexFather

"Sure the car sells well and its rather bland, sub-par, uninspiring and lacking features that one would expect of a "luxury" badge. Acura is only fooling themselves if they think success is selling more and taking out features and obviously being worst in class, if you even consider it to be in this class. "

How can a bland sub par uninspiring and lacking features car sell so well? Acura clearly has done something right. Moreover, they are selling / leasing them without resorting to major lease incentives, at pretty standard unsubsidized money factors (unlike an RX that sometimes gets discounted by close to 20% with all the incentives and leases at a majorly subsidized money factor). I think this car is a really nice value proposition for most families - great engine, good MPG, nicely designed and executed interior and a premium brand with great reliability and resale value. The car has everything that most people demand when you add the optional package. All for marginally more than similar sized non-premium suvs and for much less than X3s or Q5s.
Let's not compare the RDX to the RX please the RX is the leader and vastly superior and priced higher. You are fooling yourself if you think you can't get a an already cheaper RDX for a deal. the RDX is simply Acura's version of a 2004 RX since that is how far behind they are if you want to compare the two.

What is everything the RDX has since it offers nothin?. NAV? Optional HiDs? Acura aimed for low hanging fruit and hit a home run. Says a lot about the brand.

Being cheaper and offering less for less money isn't value. It's simply a lesser vehicle.

Old 03-30-14, 05:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Where's the value in a X3 or Q5?
comparing an rdx to an x3 or q5 is rather pointless wouldn't you say?

you're right, x3/q5 do not scream value, nor were they ever intended to. rdx got the 'makeover' (v6 only, dummer awd, few configs) to lower the price and give loyal acura owners something 'nice' - certainly nicer than the rough cramped 1st gen rdx with turbo engine.

again, since this thread is about compact luxury suvs (really cuvs), i don't think the rdx should even be discussed.
Old 03-31-14, 07:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
comparing an rdx to an x3 or q5 is rather pointless wouldn't you say?

you're right, x3/q5 do not scream value, nor were they ever intended to. rdx got the 'makeover' (v6 only, dummer awd, few configs) to lower the price and give loyal acura owners something 'nice' - certainly nicer than the rough cramped 1st gen rdx with turbo engine.

again, since this thread is about compact luxury suvs (really cuvs), i don't think the rdx should even be discussed.
So RDX is not luxurious enough?
Old 03-31-14, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
So RDX is not luxurious enough?
well 'enough' is subjective, so for some, maybe, but not to compete featurewise with lexus, audi, bmw, mercedes - main luxury players. it's just missing far too many features and options.
Old 04-01-14, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Not an RDX fan whatsoever as I agree it's seriously decontented and not "luxury-class" worthy. However, what it does really well on par with the best in class is in the NVH and ride comfort department. That counts for something towards scoring points in the luxury CUV category. We can expect in the NX a load of competitive features to be available such BSM, LDW, pre-collision, etc, but how well will it do regarding NVH with its new turbo four and ride comfort seeing Lexus has clearly shown its new sporty direction?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?