Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One way to Lower Your Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 03:53 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Yes, the insurance company will give you a discount. Now let me read you your insurance Miranda rights-

You have the right to remain silent, but the black box can speak volumes.

You have the right to an attorney, but black box waives its right to one.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you are SOL.

Anything the black box tells us can and will be used against you and used to deny any and all claims.

If you understand those rights you have to be nuts to accept a black box.

(Note, you already have one, but at least they have to have cause to download it)

Lol, i love this.

Thought, regarding some one WRX insurance. I too did a quote on 15 STI, and they are expensive as heck....82$ a month, where my Rx is 67$ a month...what the fun.....? Even my agent couldnt answer.
Old 03-21-14, 05:19 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Increase your deductibles if you want to lower your premiums.
Old 03-21-14, 05:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and the device has no gps, so they don't know where you're driving.
oh thank god!

I wouldn't want anyone tracking me to work 5 days a week and to the grocery store every Saturday and to visit my parents on Sunday
Old 03-21-14, 06:04 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are muych better to do some driving classes to lower your insurance premium, Ask them about that.
This box is such a BS from the insurance companies and I will never have one install.
A NO ACCIDENT record is the proof that I'm a good driving not a box I install it and need to drive like a grandma to save.
Old 03-21-14, 06:59 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

From personal experience with my policies, to lower your premiums I recommend having your agent do a complete review of your policies and/or get a proposal from another agent. While agents with large books of business routinely renew policies in rote, insurance companies are continuously filing new rates with the states and changing classifications. I received a cold call from an agent who, after I told him I was satisfied with my current agent offered to review my entire home/auto package for no charge. I let him, and he came back with a proposal for coverage with the same insurance company (Travelers) nearly $3,000 cheaper, with about $2,500 of the savings being due to new classifications Travelers had established. He suggested other common sense ideas like, since my truck is an extra vehicle, drop coverage that pays for a rental car if one of our vehicles is in an accident.
Old 03-21-14, 02:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
you lower your insurance by comparison shopping, then threatening to cancel your insurance policy with your current provider.
Old 03-21-14, 02:24 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd let USAA put one on my Lexus but definitely not on my Vette . I wouldn't be able to afford insurance on a Prius . As it is, I've got a great package on both cars and house.
Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Yes, the insurance company will give you a discount. Now let me read you your insurance Miranda rights-

You have the right to remain silent, but the black box can speak volumes.

You have the right to an attorney, but black box waives its right to one.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you are SOL.

Anything the black box tells us can and will be used against you and used to deny any and all claims.

If you understand those rights you have to be nuts to accept a black box.

(Note, you already have one, but at least they have to have cause to download it)
Old 03-21-14, 02:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I am speculating here, but here is my fear with these black boxes. In my state of Massachusetts if there is an accident between two cars it is examined and fault is assessed as a percentage. If one party is deemed to be more than 50% at fault (typically they assess 100% right now), then that driver is assessed points for up to 7 years on their insurance premiums. The party not at fault, or less than 50% at fault, gets no points and their insurance company fixes the car in full with no deductible applying.

So today if one car runs a stop sign and there's a collision, they are deemed 100% at fault. However, with black boxes, what if the insurance company sees that the other car was traveling 2 mph over the speed limit? Do they now say both drivers were at 50% at fault, one for running a stop sign and the other for speeding? They can then assess points to both drivers and both have to pay their deductible top get their cars repaired.

I'm just cynical enough to believe this is what we are heading towards.