Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned, 2nd Gen 2016 Chevrolet Volt To Debut Next Year

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 09:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Redesigned, 2nd Gen 2016 Chevrolet Volt To Debut Next Year

Just the Facts:
The second-generation 2016 Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric hybrid car will be introduced next year, Edmunds has learned.
The 2016 Volt will be redesigned and developed on a new front-drive vehicle platform developed by General Motors.
The redesigned Volt will undergo an evolutionary styling change.

DETROIT — The second-generation Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric hybrid car will be introduced next year, industry sources tell Edmunds.

The 2016 Volt will be redesigned and developed on a new front-drive vehicle platform developed by General Motors.

A dramatic styling change is not planned for the car, however.

"It is different, but not drastically different," according to a source who asked not to be identified. "Just really a bit of a styling change to it."

The Volt competes with the Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius, among others.

The current-generation Volt's styling has remained unchanged since its introduction in 2010. Only one model is offered, a five-door hatchback.

The 2014 Volt is equipped with a 1.4-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine that powers a generator that recharges the lithium-ion batteries. The car can run in pure electric mode for an EPA-estimated 38 miles. When the gasoline-powered generator kicks in, the Volt can be driven up to 380 miles on a full charge and a full tank of gasoline.

It is not known if the redesigned Volt will have a longer driving range.

The Chevrolet Volt and the recently introduced 2014 Cadillac ELR coupe share the gasoline-electric powertrain.

Edmunds says: With Chevrolet offering attractive deals on the Volt, now might be the time to acquire one, rather than waiting for the redesign.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/rede...cat=affiliates
Old 03-08-14, 10:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully the redesign looks better. I've never been a fan of this body, though oddly I like it's European counterpart the Vauxhall Ampera better
Old 03-08-14, 12:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hopefully the redesign looks better. I've never been a fan of this body, though oddly I like it's European counterpart the Vauxhall Ampera better
hummm IDK, reminded me of Acura when I saw dis....

Old 03-08-14, 01:02 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, the Volt stuck in the no man land. people with money and want to make statement will go with Tesla. for regular folks who just need an EV for daily commute, there are a ton of cheaper alternatives out there.
Old 03-09-14, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Edmunds says: With Chevrolet offering attractive deals on the Volt, now might be the time to acquire one, rather than waiting for the redesign.
I'll believe that when I see it. IMO, it was way overpriced when it first debuted......only slightly less so now (and that's only because of competition from the Extended-Range Prius, which didn't exist when the Volt first debuted).