Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall , somewhere in another thread you said something along the lines that a CVT can't handle high torque (I can't find it now). The LS600h is high torque IMO.
Sure...I said it years ago when they were basically confined to low-powered threes and fours (and an occasional small V6). Nissan had to extend the warranty on some of the CVTs they sold because of premature failure, and Ford/Mercury had to discontinue their use on the AWD versions of the Taurus and Sable. But that was then....this is now. Still, despite the great improvements, there is still some evidence that CVTs haven''t been totally perfected.
Old 07-07-14, 03:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure...I said it years ago when they were basically confined to low-powered threes and fours (and an occasional small V6). Nissan had to extend the warranty on some of the CVTs they sold because of premature failure, and Ford/Mercury had to discontinue their use on the AWD versions of the Taurus and Sable. But that was then....this is now. Still, despite the great improvements, there is still some evidence that CVTs haven''t been totally perfected.
OK then, but I swear I saw it just recently (few days ago) in another thread where you said a CVT can't handle higher torque. But I guess you have cleared it up.
Old 07-07-14, 04:29 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
i don't trust german cars with too many damn gizmos. and there are lots of them out there.

but back in the day cars like this was built like a tank.

so IMO, it's not even about their ability to make reliable cars. to me it's always about trying to do too much.

simple always wins, but i guess it's hard to make something simple. they always to try to one up each other.
maybe it was heavy/solid as a tank but they were electrical/mechanical nightmares too. revisionist history does not change that.
Old 07-07-14, 04:34 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

"Toyota designs cars in an entirely different way from other manufacturers. They design it from the bottom up that is mostly from already proven components from other models. New technology is applied but always with backup components throughout most of the design process. Therefore, regardless of costs, new car models will be consistently reliable. Other manufacturers primarily design a car from the top down with comprehensive specifications, which drive too much new design throughout all the components. The result is poor long-term reliability, but bunches of new technologies spread throughout the car. The bottom line is that Toyota knows how to blend new technologies with proven components, regardless of costs."

"Toyota and Honda operate 6 sigma production target facilities and give workers the ability to shut down the line if components don't fit or meet spec. They design their cars to be assembled only one way - the right way. Suppliers are driven mercilessly. They carefully track when, where and from which supplier faulty parts come from, so Toyota can return them. If the supplier defect level is too high, they shut them off. The amazing thing about the process is that the supply chain grows and learns to be very responsive and very competitive. It's even working in the U.S. where turning out crap and sending it to Detroit was a way of life for suppliers long before Toyota and Honda showed up. Toyota and Honda have the 'platform' approach to design, where a basic engine/transmission and drive train / chassis is targeted at a wide variety of market segments. Small changes in tuning, transmission ratios and engine computer horsepower / torque curves are mated to chassis/suspension to meet performance needs. Toyota and Honda amortize the significant R&D over a very large volume to achieve cost effectiveness. Look at the FWD 3.0 V6 ULEV engine/drive train platform that goes into the Camry, Solara, Sienna, Avalon, RX300, ES300, and Highlander. I think the annual volume for these vehicles is somewhere north of 750,000 in the US alone."

"Toyota will always able to make cars cheaper because they have suppliers bend backwards for them. I am an electrical engineer, every time we ask for a price quote, distributors ask for annual quantity. Why? Because the more you buy, the cheaper the per unit the cost. They drool every time you say 250K instead of 100K per year. Again, the reason why Toyota can get parts cheaper is that they share components with Lexus. How can BMW and MB do that? (OK MB maybe can do that with its Chrysler division now). Also your cost for tooling is more when, for example, BMW makes a mold for an engine that they make about 50K engines as compared to Lexus+Toyota that churn maybe 100K or more."

Last edited by Gekko; 07-08-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 05:00 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About 15y ago my cusin bought Chevy Lumina with 420k miles.