Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 07:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I got bored with mine at 70k But at 103k and looking at other cars, there's nothing compelling enough (in my price range) to merit a swap. At least that's what I keep telling myself until the house is bought.
Old 03-07-14, 07:23 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lets see I had a 86 Prelude that rusted underneath too much that had 156k when sold and then my 88 Accord 5spd H/B that I sold with 200k that was running 2 years later even and that was with a spun bearing in the tranny or engine that was there when I sold it (cuz I overrevved too long in 3rd gear up a big hill).

Then I had a 93 Camry XLE V6 that I bought with 94k miles sold at ~200k and still going strong a few years later not sure what ever happened to it. I had a 95 Volvo 850 with a broken ODO at 186k and found it had actually 205k at that time.. and sold that at 235k actual mileage and I know that one is still going since I talk to the guy every so often.

I hope to get 200k out of my new GS but it'll be a while with only 85k on it now

All those vehicles abvoe never had any "major" problems except a head gasket in the Camry at 140k. The rest was common oil changes, tires, suspension bits and other fluids maybe an exhaust section here and there. Man I miss the mid-late 80s and 90's. I hate all this new technology stuff and expensive fluids that all these new vehicles take. I am older school I guess where I'll take a nice radio and A/C-HEAT and thats about it though yes I do love the 98-05 GS's and what they offer after that added too much uselss stuff for my tastes though thats what most people want.
Old 03-07-14, 07:42 AM
2014billia
Driver School Candidate

Newbe here.....i must just jump in on this topic, recent owner of 1995 sc400, what a pleasure to own and drive.....however i do own a 2006 ford diesel truck, bought it new, my generation felt a new veh. was good for at least a 100,000 miles and bullet proof........well was true a few years ago, now a ford diesel esp. 6.0 diesel is very lucky to make that mileage w/out several trips to the dealership. Just a comment as this topic gets my attention and wallet.....(so far the ford has never seen the inside of a repair shop...i suppose after that comment it break down tomorrow). enjoy this forum...thanks jack
Old 03-07-14, 07:49 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are countless Hondas, Toyotas, and even (some not all) nissans that i can attest that will make it over 200k. VW/Audi has gotten very reliable over the years. My buddy had an v6 a4 at 294k before he decided to sell it due to too many here and there issues. It was a great car, just needed some attention that got annoying to deal with

Whats funny is that I havent seen many domestics like ford, dodge, or GM cars over the 200k mark. (that are not pickup, commercial, or service trucks)
Old 03-07-14, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

there's TONS of domestic vehicles that run 200k... impalas, tauruses, explorers, crown vics, etc.
Old 03-07-14, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
I got bored with mine at 70k But at 103k and looking at other cars, there's nothing compelling enough (in my price range) to merit a swap. At least that's what I keep telling myself until the house is bought.
i hear ya! (similar boat, although not for a house)

right now i'm quite interested in the new highlander and the macan. (left brain, right brain) i don't dare set foot in the porsche dealer, and my local toyota dealer doesn't appear to even have the '14 highlander in stock.
Old 03-07-14, 10:11 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That V6 in the RX is a sweet-hart, provided you do the oil changes ON TIME. IE every 5k miles is a good interval, if you do nothing but short trips maybe every 4k miles. The 7500 mile interval Toyota calls for is if you DO NOT DO short trips. The way Toyota words "Severe Service" in the manual, which advocates 5,000 mile oil changes is a bit ambigious. Short trips where the engine never warms up is considered "Severe Service" and oil should be changed every 5k instead of 7500 miles if you drive straight interstate miles.

IMO Toyota should have just advocated 5,000 mile oil changes across the board for every engine, it would have totally let them off the hook for the oil sludge problem.
They do the oil change around 4500-5000 miles. Lot of short trips everyday, not much of freeway driving.
Old 03-07-14, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

right now i'm quite interested in the new highlander and the macan. (left brain, right brain) i don't dare set foot in the porsche dealer, and my local toyota dealer doesn't appear to even have the '14 highlander in stock.
because they sold out all the new highlander or what?

on the other hand i am very afraid to set foot in mb dealership, my wife has been saying she misses a sedan (and that she misses the s550)
Old 03-07-14, 10:24 AM
jsanders
Driver

Wish you could hear some of the things I hear from insiders in the auto industry. Trust me, domestics and euro cars are jut not made for longetivity without excessive maintenanc. There's a reason every mechanic recommends Jap cars for longetivity and durability.
Old 03-07-14, 10:28 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there's TONS of domestic vehicles that run 200k... impalas, tauruses, explorers, crown vics, etc.
You mean police cars?!? lol Doesn't Count!

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-07-14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 11:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I vote for the Macan Sat in the 14 Highlander at the Philly auto show and it's quite nice inside. Between that and the new Avalon, I have high hopes for Toyota interior quality going forward.

Originally Posted by rominl

on the other hand i am very afraid to set foot in mb dealership, my wife has been saying she misses a sedan (and that she misses the s550)
She misses the S550, but she wants the S65 that's coming out later this year
Old 03-07-14, 11:43 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure the powertrain probably can make it easily on some of them, but you have to include all the electronics, bells and whistles also
Old 03-07-14, 12:15 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mother has a corolla with 280k miles. I do not know how it keeps running because many times the engine has less than 1 quart of oil (measuring from how much I had to put in to get it to the minimum level).
Old 03-07-14, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I'm sure the powertrain probably can make it easily on some of them, but you have to include all the electronics, bells and whistles also
well i wouldn't know to be honest, but my boring '06 explorer has had no electronic gremlins at nearly 90k thankfully.

having said that, one reason i won't consider a ford is the foul myford touch / sync - don't care if it's sony, microsoft, ford doing it, all seemed really bad.

in fact obsolescence, lack of updates, and bugs is what keeps me away from most new vehicles, especially in the infotainment systems, which frankly i don't want much part of but due to bundling of options these days, you have to take all that stuff if you want more upscale features like adaptive cruise.
Old 03-08-14, 12:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
no idea. seems dealers further away have 'em. but i'm not ready to go chasing...

Quick Reply: The reality of hitting 200k miles...