Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ticketed for no front license plate!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 06:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by smomin23
Can't you keep it on the dash in Texas now?
I have been told by a cop that you can.
Old 02-27-14, 06:34 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my state, they will give you a 15 day to comply... What i have done in the past, was put two sided 3m tape/emblem adhesive on the backside of the license plate and stick it to the front bumber, and roll to the cop shop to show a officer, he then signs off on the compliance paper, i roll back home and peel off the license plate till the next time i get pulled over which may be a month or two or a year or two. 15 days dont go on your drivers record so they never know if you had them in the past. Like others said, its just a revenue thing. If motorcycles and other sports cars dont need them why do i?
Old 02-27-14, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in Dallas and I got ticketed 6 years ago for no front license plate but it was only because I was speeding. I've been told that they can't ticket you just for no front license plate, but if they catch you doing something else and stop you they can add that on. I still don't have a front license plate.
Old 02-27-14, 08:29 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe the wrong forum, but Corvettes almost never have the front plate installed. I'm guessing they get a pass just based on tradition?
Old 02-27-14, 08:36 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abermac
Check this out. Showing a BMW, same concept.

Where do you get this from?
Old 02-27-14, 09:55 PM
Abermac
Rookie

Looks like several options. Search the internet for No Holes License Plate Bracket. You'll find many different styles. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't require a plate in front but If I did this would be the only option.
Old 02-28-14, 04:36 AM
jimbonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
Maybe the wrong forum, but Corvettes almost never have the front plate installed. I'm guessing they get a pass just based on tradition?
Believe me there are parts here in Illinois when we had Bloomington Gold up in St.Charles they had a major sting going on and were pulling us all over on our trip in just to make their money for no plates. They had cops grab our caravan of about 28 vettes on the side of the road and gave tickets to I think it was over half that didn't have them at that time. There were many more that day and we all went to court and fought it and the judge actually got ticked off at the officer in charge for setting up the operation as we were bringing in too much money for the area during the show. : All dismissed Just be careful going down North Ave! i
Old 02-28-14, 05:14 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm in Dallas and I got ticketed 6 years ago for no front license plate but it was only because I was speeding. I've been told that they can't ticket you just for no front license plate, but if they catch you doing something else and stop you they can add that on. I still don't have a front license plate.
Not true anymore...
According to House Bill 625, as of Sept. 1, 2013, it is required that all registered vehicles in TX, including commercial vehicles, must display both front and rear plates. The penalty/fine was reinstated also.

In Texas, a law enforcement officer is allowed to stop any vehicle if a front or rear license plate is missing. It’s the same as an officer making a stop when a driver runs a stop sign, makes an improper lane change or, everybody’s favorite, drives too slow.
Now, with the punishment tacked back on to the law, the fine for a missing front or rear plate is specifically set at no more than $200.

http://www.dallasnews.com/investigat...-200-fine..ece
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/the...effect-sept-1/
Old 02-28-14, 05:41 AM
Lexman4375
Driver School Candidate

Hey Y'all..I feel your pain!! I live in Baytown, which is 14mi east of H-Town, and from my experience the local PD doesn't bother you about it. Its the DPS/State Patrol that will get you. I got pulled over by Chambers Cty DPS for no license plate on the front bumper of my SC400. Fortunately I had it lodged between my passenger seat and armrest. My windows are tinted too, so he didn't see me throw it up in the front dash corner lol. And he was like"my bad..I didn't see it there..carry on" So my advice,at the first and end of the month make it visible on the dash somewhere,and usually they will leave you alone. I aint drilling any holes in my bumper!
Old 02-28-14, 08:36 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah... it's a ticketable offense now. No more fix-it ticket.

And yes, the plate has to be outside of the car, front and rear bumper.

Last edited by jcheng; 02-28-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 06:36 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In Virginia, they found me in a parking garage with the front end parked in toward the wall. Must have seen me over the past several years. Good run while it lasted but, unfortunately, now I've got two new holes in the bumper cover.

Last edited by jkeifer3; 03-04-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 11:12 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
In Virginia, they found me in a parking garage with the front end parked in toward the wall. Must have seen me over the past several years. Good run while it lasted but, unfortunately, now I've got two new holes in teh bumper cover.
Old 03-03-14, 10:11 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update - I finally installed my front plates on using 3m tape and two screws mounted into the front bumper. Looks better than the factory mounting bracket (dealer selling it at 78.51). It's more flush with the front bumper and I have customs plates (mainly black and a little bit of white) on a black car, does not look bad. I actually like it.
Attached Thumbnails Ticketed for no front license plate!-gs.jpg  

Last edited by G-SharK; 03-03-14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 11:52 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smomin23
Can't you keep it on the dash in Texas now?
No. A few years ago a druggie in west TX was stopped for no front plate, car searched, drugs found. Arrested and convicted. Appealed saying plate was on dash. Judge "clarified" TX law to mean must be on front of car such as on bumper.
Old 03-03-14, 11:55 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
No. I've been pulled several times by DPS in rural areas. A caravan of 15 Vettes in my club going to the hill country got stopped and most got tickets. I now have a front plate.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for no front license plate!