Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
2014 Scion FRS or Subaru BRZ
29.03%
2009 Porsche Cayman (as described below)
48.39%
A really fast and reliable goat
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

New BRZ/FRS or used Porsche Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 02:41 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't get either, because it seems to me that you are similar to me, the 86 twin doesn't have enough power for your liking.

Reasons:

1/ Porsche = Expensive parts, maintenance, Labor, not as reliable...well it was an expensive car when new.

2/ FRS = Not enough power, not as refined or luxurious, Sound leak is horrible, rattling here and there.

IS-350!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-14, 02:48 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I wouldn't get either, because it seems to me that you are similar to me, the 86 twin doesn't have enough power for your liking.

Reasons:

1/ Porsche = Expensive parts, maintenance, Labor, not as reliable...well it was an expensive car when new.

2/ FRS = Not enough power, not as refined or luxurious, Sound leak is horrible, rattling here and there.

IS-350!!!!!!!
Porsche is reliable.There are just some years people avoid for reliability issues.

Last edited by darkdream; 02-21-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 03:47 PM
BigCman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for the Porsche because well.....it's a Porsche!! However I do agree that if you plan to mod the car go with the BRZ. I wouldn't buy an FR-S just cause they skimped on a few things in comparison.

If these are really the 2 cars you are set on though I say Cayman. Personally I wouldn't buy either one but like I said if this is what it comes down to, Porsche all the way.
Old 02-21-14, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm biased to Toyota admittedly, however, I'm also realistic. If mechanically the Cayman checks out, and you're fine with the increased operating costs (gas, insurance, maintenance) and reliability risks, Cayman all the way.
Old 02-21-14, 05:37 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

The IMS is not an issue for any Cayman (or other 987 / 997 Porsche starting about 2006 with the M97 Engine).

Earlier 986 Boxters and 996 911 are susceptible to IMS issues. There was no 986 Cayman. IMS was also not an issue for 996 911 turbo or GT3 cars.

Starting in 2009, the Cayman got a new drive train - new engine and PDK transmission. The new engine (starting in 2009) is more robust than the M97, especially if you plan to track the car. Also, if you want an automatic, the 2009 cars and newer have the PDK (Double Clutch) transmission which is much better than the Tiptronic auto transmission used up to 2007. The manual transmission did not change much and is great.

The Cayman hatchback design is more susceptible to road noise than the 911 or probably the FR-S.

I did test drive an FR-S and a few other things before buying the Cayman, which I also prefer to the IS F.

I see no reason to not use a Cayman for a DD. I do not, but then I'm not saving my car for the next guy either.

You should make your own decision based on what you want. The FR S is a very cool car. I do recommend an independent pre-purchase inspection (PPI) for any used car.

I also recommend the Planet-9 Forum if you want to learn more about Boxster or Cayman.

Note, my Cayman is NOT for sale.

Last edited by TerrySmith; 02-21-14 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 05:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd go for a Cayman
Old 02-21-14, 05:52 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

BRZ Limited
Old 02-21-14, 06:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

@TerrySmith awesome photo going down the corkscrew
Old 02-21-14, 06:51 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's see. Mid Engine RWD Sports car, or front engine RWD sporty coupe. I'll take the mid engine true sports car all day. The mid engine Cayman is a great Porsche to own.
Old 02-21-14, 07:09 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Cayman is a man's car. BRZ/FRS is a boy's car.

Ducati or Honda ? ))
Old 02-21-14, 08:43 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would choose the cayman too, but at the proposed 65k mileage, i would pass.
Old 02-21-14, 11:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Cayman is a man's car. BRZ/FRS is a boy's car.

Ducati or Honda ? ))
haha

wonder what a Lotus is then
Old 02-22-14, 12:04 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

This is a terrible comparison. But I'll give you my input since I bought a 2007 Cayman S last month with 60k on the clock.

The Cayman is a blast to DRIVE, its boring to drive the car in traffic as you can't excersize it properly on normal streets. Its not a good commuter car unless you outfit it with PASM. Its a STIFF ride. If your streets have pot holes make sure you have a good massage therapist. Putting on lesser tires than the PS2's help, Conti DW has 20% softer sidewall and is a popular choice. Make sure you sit in at least 2 of the 4 seat options offered in the Porsche. I bought one with standard seats which I ripped out a month into it as I'm tall and they are too narrow and my shoulder just sit on top of the metal bars instead of in the seat, I have since purchased Porsche Sport Seats which have flared shoulder backs. I would also get the PDK for a daily driver. The Cayman makes its power in the 4k and above range ala S2000, so pulling away from stops with little torque is an art.

If this is going to be a track car or auto cross car its will be perfect. Gas milage is not good, pick the lowest city mileage you can find, that is what you will average. Gearing is actually too tall to be competivie in auto x, 72MPH in 2nd gear. The car is tuned for autobaun and Nurenburing or track driving or canyon carving, not short parking lots.

The good, wow, that engine HOWLES like no other car, maybe a Ferrari at full bore sounds the same. Handling, you can hang with sport bikes on all the mountains, there is NOTHING you can't handle. The car will far exceed your abilities. If you floor it you'll find yourself in the back of someone's bumper quickly. The PSM traction control is loose, the car will let you have lots of fun swinging the tail out and saving it every time. There really is nothing like flooring it in a mid engine car mid turn to plant the rear end and rocket you forward. Very fun. Brakes are insane, steering the best ever made on any car and I've driven quite a few. In fact the 2009 is the absolute pinnicale, even the new 981 Cayman doesn't have hydrolic steering anymore. The 2009 has no Intermediate Shaft, or IMS, which could fail, less than 1% in 2006-2008 cars though yet the Internet makes it sound like everyone experiences it. Engine failures will run you 12-15k, this isn't a Honda where you can pickup a used engine at the junkyard for 1k. Clutches need to be replaced every 60k +/- a bit if you go manual. The Cayman is the easiest car in the market to drop the tranny and put in a clutch, but don't expect the ease of clutch jobs to save you any money you are paying the Porsche tax (unless you do the work yourself)

If you want boring, cheap, good gas mileage and comfortable... get the BRZ. If you want a panty dropper that puts a grin on your face, get the Porsche. Both cars are very reliable.
Cayman prices have been rising since 2008 and I expect them to continue. The depreciation curve bottoms out in the mid to high 20's no matter the mileage, you could get in and out in a few years and bascially only have to pay for gas, tires, and oil changes

Last edited by toy4two; 02-22-14 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 03:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The Cayman is a damn fine machine IMO if you can afford it. By affording it I mean, be prepared to drop 1-4k on some stupid repair at any time. Porsches are not cheap to maintain.

If it were my $$$$ and this were a car that would come out only on sunny days, it would be a Honda S2000 all day long.
Old 02-22-14, 09:34 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
haha

wonder what a Lotus is then
Lotus is a ninja.

Quick Reply: New BRZ/FRS or used Porsche Cayman?