Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First look Q50 vs IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 07:26 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First look Q50 vs IS 350

Looking at both

Q50 S and IS 350 F

Today, I stopped by both Infiniti and Lexus showroom. Did not have time to test drive both yet. Soon to do so.

But, all I can say is that the Q50 styling get Old quick....it look just like any other Full size sedan....but when I looked at the IS-350....my heart Beats quicker....my mind was pulled into it....and I got the curiosity of how it drive, and the interior look.

Opened the doors and sat inside both. Q50 has better more comfy seats, classy interior with high techs stuff. IS-350 is Youthful, flirty, high-end details.

So, all in all, the Q50 while performance specs on the paper look wonderful compare to the IS, the Q50 is more like a Full-Sized Sedan trying too hard to be sporty.

My wife comment

To Q50 : Well...it look similar to the Camry which is a boring vehicle to you

To IS-350: WOW!...look at that thing, so Angry, Odds, and yet full of adrenaline (look manly), look like I could scoop 3-5 babies into the Grill.......

In the end, wife said " I like the IS-350 better!"
Old 02-21-14, 04:16 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Well just one update though. It seems like the Ultra White IS-350 F sport Front Grill and Face is haunting me >.<, some how I can still see it image in my mind clearly.
Old 02-21-14, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

drive them both and let us know what you think
Old 02-21-14, 09:53 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar to my experience! The Q50 looked nice on photos. But in person it's bland and tired looking. It doesn't look understated or classy either.
Old 02-24-14, 11:05 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Today is the day I decided to go test drive several vehicles.

2014 WRX
2014 IS350
2014 Q50 S or Hybrid S

So far the WRX is the closest dealer. I came testing the WRX because the 2015 is supposed to be even better from the details on paper. I was never with Subaru before. I was very Impressed. It have been a long time since I felt this good. The last time I felt this....probably never did. Because I never had experienced such things.

Transmission was buttery smooth, short, quick engage, good position to do multiple things while shifting (not too low-far-high) just perfect

Clutch was Cloudily soft.....gosh...I had a hard time finding the Clutch engagement point....when I found it, it was like very very short....like 50% of the pedal down, not like all the way down to the floor....like other car I had, which made it more comfortable, and leaving you a Non-Fatigue works as you work around it taking corners, shifting the trans, blip-ping the throttle.

The chasis was so good, that I could feel every movements of the car initially, like counter-steer, the balance of the car, the direction of the front and the rear. This brings feeling of confidence while driving. The Steering felt good, light, but not feathery artificially light. The return feed back is good, that I could tell which tires are on what position and doing what on the road.

The Engine is surprisingly Linear, turbo lag was very minimal in the correct gears, you don't even feel it at all. Engine RPM is some what slow to response, i have no reason why. There is a delay between throttle input before the needle move....you won't feel it, if you never pay attention to it. Who the heck would, if you are busy working all the funs ? There were no hesitations at all, but it seems run out of steam on higher rev....still, i the correct gears, you can easily get to 100 no problem, and in no time

Brakes were very snappy, felt precise, and great, very confident

Corners were not bad as casual driving and street driving, it gave a good feeling, but if you put the car a bit faster through corner, you can feel it tell you to slow down, or slid to the other side of the road. This is probably why the 15 will be improved with Brake Vectoring.

The suspension were very impressive on even pavement, unless on bumpy road you will feel it, and driving for hours could really wear you out. That is probably a reason why this type of car is good for short trips, mountain roads, SCCA events. Not through states trips.

Noise Isolation is like none, you can hear every bumps, every cars, trucks engines that are passing by....wind....feel like riding a motorcycle in a full helmet.

All in all, this car gives the feeling of true Sport, giving the Driver Confident and controls they want. It is not perfect, but it is great enough to excite your senses. It is not insanely fast, but fast enough to feel great.

**Disclaimer** I am not Professional Driver or Mechanix. Just Casual guys with some senses. Something I said may not be exactly what you may feel.

Thanks for reading. Now time to go test the other 2
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, it's no contest. IS is faster, more advance in powertrain, more fuel efficient, handling better, more reliable, list goes on and on. the only thing Q50 has on IS is interior space, even that's a pretty marginal advantage for the Q. also, not sure if holds true nowadays, but Infiniti is notoriously known for overrate their HP power. My G35 coupe from 10 years ago was rated at only 210 at the wheels.
Old 02-24-14, 02:07 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, so I just came back from the test drive of both

IS-350-AWD-F-Sport
Q-50-AWD-S-sport-Hybrid

Short version, out of all 3 cars, I would put the rating as followed.

WRX (Very Driver oriented, designed in All Out Driving, Racing Experience)
Q50-hybrid (Luxurious and or Sporty, what are you willing to do ?)
IS-350 F (Luxurious vehicle with some senses of Sports)

Now, please don't blame me or hate me, it is just every-body has different taste. But all in all, I would pick the WRX for the Sport-Sedan that I want.

Detailed version

IS-350

Transmission is snappy for an automatic, willing to obey paddle shift. Well, it is an automatic, so nothing much to brag on. Just convenience, and you can leisurely swap gear to your liking. I don't find it useful in Daily Drive.

The chasis feels great and balanced, but due to the soft suspension on Casual drive mode, it feels just Lexus....Isolated from the Road and Bumps on the street. Very comfortable. It take corners willingly, you feel like you can take corners faster, but you can not really feel what the car is doing. So, you feel confident to push the car faster around the corners, but not like the car is asking you to do so.

The engine is very linear and quick, revving to red-line and switch gear feel awesome. Lexus tunes the transmission so well that even you down shift at higher speed, it Bleeps. You shift at red line, it smooth out. It is the kind that will do "Dang, this is amazing, but...doesn't excite you"

Brakes were very good, but just like any other Toyota or Lexus, if you know what I mean. The travel between the pressure on the pedal is long...You just have to like the way Toyota and Lexus brakes are to really enjoy it. I do like it, it doesn't give you the big bite, and ease out. It ease out first, and then big bite, if you push. This is easier to control....this is very Comfortable. But it is not what I want from a sport car. I want the brakes to be accurate, that you can feel every little bites from it. WRX is Excellence in this regard

The suspension is very Lexus ride. It is soft, super smooth. Road Noise is almost non existed

All in all, the Lexus does things accurately, but in a level of Isolation that will Isolate you from the Road (noise, Bumps, Corners) It is a Sport car, but drive like a Luxury car. It is like driving an RX-350, but smaller frame, and lighter.

The Q50 Hybrid

Transmission is the 7 speeds. It is an Automatic, so nothing much. It is willingly take commands from the paddle shifts. But shifting at the red line, and down shift at high speed, Infiniti has tuned it that you can feel the sense of the car changing gears on your commands. (Sport feeling)

The Chasis, is very balanced, due to the true Sport Tuned suspensions, the Q50 was able to provide the feeling of Counter-Steer (where is lacking on the Lexus) and the feeling of the Bumps. There were very minimal body roll, similar to the IS. I can say the IS has Less body roll, but it won't communicate with you as the Q50 (The counter steer feeling)

The engine turn off at stop, and E-V kicks in at initial acceleration if you are light on your feet. It will continue as you ease in on the pedal to around 35-40 mph for a while, until you suddenly Kick it, the gas engine switches on (pay attention to hear) It will stay on to keep you in the power band, or charging the battery together.

The engine and the E-V switch on and off at ease, it is amazing that you can not even tell. But at a stop, you just Floor the pedal, and the car push you in your seats....the feeling of a muscle car Torque (Stabbing acceleration.) Keep on it for a brief second, and you are in the 80 MPH before you even know it to re-act. From my experience of driving Turbo charged engine, and Super charged engine (This feels like a Supercharged engine)

But amazingly, the car is a hybrid, so you can cruise in Hybrid for a while without spending your gas money.

The suspensions is sport tuned, it gives you a lot of feed backs from the road, and counter steer feel (8/10) to the WRX. But it is also very comfortable. It slotted right in between the IS and the WRX.

Noise Isolation is Lexus like, no wind, no other trucks engine, you can hear your own engine, and amazingly....the road....wth...i don't get it, but this is where Lexus is lacking compare to the Q50.

The Direct Adaptive Steering doesn't feel as artificial as people say, it is also very acurate. The only thing it is lacking off is the Accurate feed backs from the road. You can not tell the exact things that your wheels are doing on the pavement......

The brakes are similar to the Lexus, even though it is a Hybrid, and many people and critics don't like it, I do however. Because I am so used to the way Toyota and Lexus brakes work, it is no problem for me, I like it. But amazingly if you brake hard enough and pay attention, the Brakes do communicate with you, and tell you exactly what it is doing (Very predictable) unless you choose to brake light and comfy, then it acts like any Lexus.

All in all, the Q50S Hybrid is the perfect of both world (Luxurious + Sport) It will get Sporty when you push it hard enough, it will communicate with you if you push it hard enough, but you have to get used to the way it behave with the Hybrid in the braking section, otherwise it is very good. All the Hybrid is doing = giving you more MPG and Stab in the back acceleration feels.

To me, I am looking at a Sport Luxury, so I am looking at either the 15 STI, or the Q50S Hybrid. The IS no longer Excite me, as it does look good and all, but not the suspension/ brakes/ steering feels. I am not saying it doesn't excel in those aspects, but it is not communicating to you as it should. It was designed to be Luxurious and then Sporty.

As much as I love Lexus, I think the IS is not for me in this quest. Looking forward to the 15 STI. If Q50 saleman can give me a sweet discount, then I think I will go for it.

Thanks for reading
Old 02-24-14, 02:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Im looking at the 2015 WRX as well......i need a car for my wife - new under 30k with AWD.

Considering Forrester, Rav4 and WRX, wish they still made the wagon version!!!

Hows WRX in the snow???
Old 02-24-14, 02:55 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

WRX and STI, or just Subaru in general. Their AWD is pretty much superior. If you want a Sport Sedan under 30k and unbeatable in the weather. You can not beat WRX.

The only thing you should be thinking about is the Noise. If you are ok with the noise of Riding a Motorcycle in Full Face Helmet, then you are ok with the Subaru vehicles. Their Noise level is 7/10 to riding a Motorcycle
Old 02-24-14, 03:01 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Im looking at the 2015 WRX as well......i need a car for my wife - new under 30k with AWD.

Considering Forrester, Rav4 and WRX, wish they still made the wagon version!!!

Hows WRX in the snow???
Have you seen this ?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...aru-wrx-vs-sti

After that Reality Dyno numbers. I think I am going to do the WRX all day long, no question LOL !!! Sub 30k for that performance, unbeatable in the snow ? dang
Old 02-24-14, 06:49 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I agree with most of what the O.P. Has said. But I have a few issues with the Q50. The interior roof lining is cheap, the same coarse fabric material Germans & Hyundai use. The centre console with the dual screen is on the tacky side of things. And everything feels too vertical with an awkward looking steering wheel.

Yea the Q50 Hybrid is fast, but I expected it to be faster considering the amount of total combined torque it makes. You still feel your driving a Hybrid with the awkward throttle response and braking. And I've never been a fan of how Nissan's shift gears. They have always lacked in smoothness.
Old 02-25-14, 04:32 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3
Yeah I agree with most of what the O.P. Has said. But I have a few issues with the Q50. The interior roof lining is cheap, the same coarse fabric material Germans & Hyundai use. The centre console with the dual screen is on the tacky side of things. And everything feels too vertical with an awkward looking steering wheel.

Yea the Q50 Hybrid is fast, but I expected it to be faster considering the amount of total combined torque it makes. You still feel your driving a Hybrid with the awkward throttle response and braking. And I've never been a fan of how Nissan's shift gears. They have always lacked in smoothness.
Thank you, i too also expected it to be faster, it was not bad, but it would run out of steam at 70+ mph, kinda like no more thrusty feeling, but still, it will get to 100 before you know it. I still give it 5/5 on the hybrid tech though. The fastest hybrid out there, i can not think of any other beside Gs450H which is like 25k more

The interior is no doubt much cheaper than the IS. The most i hate is the wrapping of those dotted things on the hand rest and around the center console. Felt like i could have customized it myself for a better look.