Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 05:27 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"

I believe "fanboy" is an expression from gamers who profess undying loyalty to a particular game or even a particular hardware maker (Xbox vs. Playstation, for example). But I think car buyers are the ultimate fanboys.

I admit to having zero loyalty to anything or anyone except my wife and kids. I especially have no loyalty to auto manufacturers, and I'm puzzled as to why some people are "loyal" to certain automakers or brands. I understand the effect of early exposure to certain brands in the family. My first car ever as a teenager was a 12-year old Chevy Nova. My second car, a 10-year old Malibu, was a Chevy. My first brand new car was a Chevy Monte Carlo. When I realized I'd fallen into a habit of only considering what I knew, I decide to do a little exploring and try different brands. I'm glad I did, because they each have positive points and negative points.

I've been around for 60 years now and appreciate the wide variety of choices in motor vehicles. Having a lot of choices is one of the things that makes America (and Canada) great. But I'm mystified at meeting a lot of people who will only purchase Fords, or GM vehicles, or Honda, or Toyota/Lexus, etc. etc. I suppose it's also a "choice" to never change. I don't mean it as a put-down, but I do find it strange. It's like dating only blondes or only redheads or only Asian, Latin or black chicks, when there is so much variety out there (which I very much enjoyed sampling in my younger bachelor days). Seriously.

If you are no longer a twenty-something or younger, why do you keep buying the same brands? Have you thought of breaking your habit and buying a different brand of car, one you've never tried before?
Old 02-20-14, 05:52 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have owned these following cars. In this order.

Cars:
1994 Nissan 300ZX TT, 2001 Honda Accord ExL, 2003 Chevy Corvette, 2006 Lexus LS430 UL, 2009 Toyota Camry XLE, And soon to be owner of 2014 Lexus GS350

Bikes:
1982 Kawasaki Gpz750, 1999 Yamaha r6, 2006 Kawasak Ninjai Zx6r 636cc, 2013 Honda CBR1000RR

As you can see I am no fan boy. I think it makes more sense to try different brands it makes things more interesting.

Also when I rent an SuV or truck or luxury car from car rental companies. I always choose something different.
Old 02-20-14, 06:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldn't consider myself a fan-boy but I like Lexus mostly for zero problems. My parents and sister have had BMW's and they have time and time again gone back to the dealer for major problems. I have friends with Audi's and they complain about problems they have. I would go to another car if they were reliable. When I'm older maybe I will try to go and test other water but until I finish Law School I don't see myself switching to another brand. That's my reasoning.
Old 02-20-14, 06:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

most of us on the forum have different "brands" of vehicles that we own.
Old 02-20-14, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually buy Toyota or Honda vehicles but will buy and have bought other brands.
Every vehicle forum has it's fanboys.No exception here.

Also only buy Samsung flat screen TV's.
I guess I'm a Samsung fanboy.
Old 02-20-14, 07:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I wouldn't consider myself a fan-boy but I like Lexus mostly for zero problems. My parents and sister have had BMW's and they have time and time again gone back to the dealer for major problems. I have friends with Audi's and they complain about problems they have. I would go to another car if they were reliable. When I'm older maybe I will try to go and test other water but until I finish Law School I don't see myself switching to another brand. That's my reasoning.
This is so true, even after all the researches about other brands and vehicles. I can not deny that Lexus always hit me in the heart with 2 words

Reliability, Resale value
Old 02-20-14, 07:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
If you are no longer a twenty-something or younger, why do you keep buying the same brands? Have you thought of breaking your habit and buying a different brand of car, one you've never tried before?

You are thinking practically. Functionally. When you crunch numbers, you get what you need.

However, cars fall into an emotional category. Desirability. Some don't crunch numbers; they get what they want.

In this forum (as well as other forums), you will get to chat with enthusiasts that share a common passion. PASSION! There is nothing practical with passion, otherwise, we'd all be driving dispassionate econoboxes. There are unobjectifiable intangible aspects to buying a car, whether it's brand loyalty, familiarity, nostalgia, design, heritage, and the such. I know of people that didn't buy a car because it had a sharkfin antenna; some are just that passionate.

I am proof of wanting versus needing. I drive an SC430, which at best can be described as a heavy and slow $70,000 288-hp 19mpg V-8 fake-4-seater with one of the worst seating ergonomics, unconfident chassis, and **** poor suspension, with the damnedest ugliest stock wheels and a cassette deck that lasted into production until 2009. And I love it!
Old 02-20-14, 07:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PhillipMSPT is correct about the enthusiast point--people are enthusiasts for a reason. Maybe you want to call them "fanboys". And we've all seen people on CL that may be a little blindly loyal.

But you are talking about a small percentage of people overall. People who aren't car guys/gals frequently get the same car over and over. My mom is on her 3rd Honda CRV, I have many neighbors and friends that automatically go get the updated version of the same Odyssey, 3-Series, etc., etc. My grandfather would go get the latest Oldsmobile to replace his. Most people aren't fanboys--they don't advocate for their car, and try to convince you it is best--they are just comfortable with having something familiar. A car is an expensive purchase, and if you buy something unknown, and you don't like it as much as what you just got rid of, you can feel like you just wasted a ton of money.
Old 02-20-14, 08:19 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

I think the Fanboyism stems from the fact that everyone want to be "right." So they become a fan of the brand they own because to do any less would be to admit you might not have made the best decision on your purchase.
Old 02-20-14, 08:21 AM
LexFather

Personality comes into play also, not to mention familiarity….

Signed,

Fanboy

Old 02-20-14, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

People feel the need to justify and defend their own purchases. Since cars are a very significant purchase, I would imagine the need to do this is that much greater.
Old 02-20-14, 09:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I think the Fanboyism stems from the fact that everyone want to be "right."
Originally Posted by pbm317
People feel the need to justify and defend their own purchases.

Most consumers don't need to defend anything. They just buy what they want. If they like it and they can afford it, they get it.

Enthusiasts defend. And that usually goes nowhere...
Old 02-20-14, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would consider myself more of a "Lexus Enthusiast" than fan boy. When I'm in the market for a new car, I give preference to the Toyota/Lexus product, because my past ownership of these vehicles has been positive, so it feels more familiar and less risky. I have owned multiple Hondas, an Acura, a GM car (Saturn), and numerous cars from Toyota and Lexus.

What I would consider to be a fan boy is someone who believes their preferred manufacturer can do no wrong, ignores facts and data, and rips blindly on the competition. While I prefer Lexus and Toyota, I still review the competition and try to make an informed decision.
Old 02-20-14, 09:07 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Most consumers don't need to defend anything. They just buy what they want. If they like it and they can afford it, they get it.

Enthusiasts defend. And that usually goes nowhere...
It's part of the self-serving bias/attribution error. It may be subconscious, but still exists for "most consumers" and their purchases.
Old 02-20-14, 09:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what is a fanboy? I want a GTE engine in my SC, CA BAR'd. I also dont mind having a 5.0L IS-F engine in my SC, also CA BAR'd. I also love the LFA and RC-F and I also really like the '14 toyota highlander-is that fanboy? lol

Quick Reply: Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"