Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are so many car buyers "Fanboys?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 02:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the difference between a "fan boy" and an "enthusiast" - if any? Is "fan boy" some sort of derogatory name for an enthusiast?
Old 03-03-14, 04:09 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Okay my long 2 cents…I think first off there is a difference between a "Fanboy" and a loyal buyer. A Fanboy buys whatever a brand makes and sees no fault in the brand and bashes anything else. A loyal buyer for a multitude of reasons have chosen to stick with a particular brand as it meets their needs and the competition while good or maybe even better still doesn't offer a package compelling enough to switch.

There are those that have less or no loyalty for whatever reasons which is fine but I don't know if that makes them a better buyer than one who sticks with a brand. Car companies (in regards to this thread) do whatever it takes to build and keep people with them. I wouldn't even use Toyota as a case, look at Porsche. They went from basically one car to two to now two SUVS and a big sedan. Guess what those people that used to have a 911 and other vehicles now in many cases can stick with Porsche. And why not!? They love the brand, love what it offers and are now happy they can stick with what they love and like.

Is it great that one owns different brands? Sure, you get to experience first hand ownership and can relate but things change over time and your experience might not reflect all owners. It is simply your experience. It is also great to people to stay with a brand a long time and they feel a certain pride being a loyal customer. Personality traits can also dictate a person staying as well as switching. So can a bad experience or a great experience.

For my family and myself Lexus has gone above and beyond in regards to what we feel are amazing vehicles and service and just the way they treat people. When there was a need for a SUV or a hybrid or a bigger car or a sportier car at the time Lexus had an option so we stayed there. Overall the ownership experience has been an incredible journey and we are proud to say we are longtime Lexus owners or fans, no different than the longtime Chevy, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Volvo enthusiast. Contrarily while Hyundai has improved tremendously my experience in the past (and a long time ago) was so horrid I doubt I would ever spend my money on one again.

I will say as needs are rapidly changing the desire for vehicles Lexus does not offer has grown and if they do not respond then there are some amazing cars to choose from. Overall though we believe they are among the finest cars on the road and they have really gone above and beyond for us.

Lexus4Life
I don't know...your sig, your avatar, your nickname.... it all appears kind of fanboyish, or more devotion than just a "loyal buyer," wouldn't you say? That's not a terrible thing at all and is not intended as an insult (I might be a fanboy of Android phones and tablets. I refuse to spend a penny on any Apple product--or maybe I just hate Apple), but I think you would probably qualify or come close. Be proud.

I'm a pro football fanboy. All other sports suck. I live for the six months of the NFL season. I have NFL Sunday Ticket and would rather die than give it up. I'd sell my dogs and my Lexus before I'd give up my NFL Sunday Ticket. I follow the NFL Combine and the NFL draft religiously. I guess I'm a fanboy of something. Be proud. Admit to being a Lexus fanboy.

Last edited by Trek; 03-03-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 04:11 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
What's the difference between a "fan boy" and an "enthusiast" - if any? Is "fan boy" some sort of derogatory name for an enthusiast?
I think an enthusiast would admit the shortcomings inherent in his preference. A fanboy would still with his preference even if the engine fell out onto the street. A fanboy would rather die than switch.