Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's with Honda's paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 07:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with Honda's paint?

Don't know if you all have noticed but I've seen countless Hondas from various model years with fading, oxidizing paint finishes. Some are really, really bad. An employee here has a 7 year old black Accord and I've watched as the paint has progressively been eaten away by the sun.

What is the issue with their paint and has it been corrected?
Old 02-19-14, 07:57 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if I am seeing what you see, but I see a 7 years old vehicle which was exposed to sunlight everyday and night on the street without a garage to store in, of course i can tell.

So far my Neighbors have an 08 Accord, and 09 Civic, in a double garage. He took care of both, his and his wife. I can barely tell the cars have over 80k milages on it.

My wife sister camry is different, she never cared about it beside routine maintenance. Quick wash only, never Wax or detail. No garage, Street parked every day, Texas weather. I am telling you an 06 camry....and it look like ...garbage.

Also I think it has been almost 20 years that all vehicles come with clear protection coating ? They did not before in the 90ish, when you polish or wax, you can see a bit of the paint color, but not modern vehicles though
Old 02-19-14, 08:08 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

as solid as these cars are, this is an issue with some of the late 90's early 00's Accords and Civic models. I see them with faded and dull hoods everywhere. My wife's 02' Accord EX V6 Hood has done this same thing, not long after we had bought it. Now the rear bumber is starting to peel as well. I'm in the process of correcting this for her so she can sell it.
Old 02-19-14, 08:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

We get some pretty good amount of UV here in the summer. My sister's 9 year old Accord has issues with clearcoat. Then again, our previous Camry had major oxidation. My black Lexus GS400 does not come with clearcoat, but the paint is oxidizing and in some cases, cracking. It all depends on how you take care of the car because I've seen many older Honda/Toyota with fantastic paint. Unfortunately, my cars are parked outside and I have little time to detail them.
Old 02-19-14, 08:49 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In california i see cars of all makes/models/years with paint issues, not just Honda..
Old 02-19-14, 08:54 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 AP1 and it's paint does not have any peeling. It is kept outside and never waxed before I took ownership. I know all S2000 were made in Japan. I am not sure that makes a difference, but where were your Hondas made in?
Old 02-19-14, 09:27 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

It pays to do a little searching.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...ng-paint.shtml

This is what Ive been seeing. Apparently there was also a class action suit.
Old 02-19-14, 09:48 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Integra but man the paint is horrible. It's been fading since I bought the car (it was 10 years old). I used to hand wash and wax it but I gave up, there are parts of the car that have faded a ridiculous amount. Thinking of getting it repainted the stock color, Milano Red. The MR is a beautiful color.
Old 02-19-14, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Don't know if you all have noticed but I've seen countless Hondas from various model years with fading, oxidizing paint finishes. Some are really, really bad. An employee here has a 7 year old black Accord and I've watched as the paint has progressively been eaten away by the sun.
What is the issue with their paint and has it been corrected?
Honda's paint is not necessarily any better or worse in long-term durability than anyone else's (and, in fact, on new vehicles, usually comes from the factory with almost mirror-like smoothness and shine). Black, however, has always been arguably the worst paint color to take care of, the color that heats up the most quickly in the sun (excessive heat contributes to paint deterioration, even with clearcoat), and the color that is likely to show any problem at all in the texture or durability of the paint job. I usually don't recommend black, either for myself or others.

That's not to say, of course, that ALL black paint jobs are going to have trouble over the years....but, IMO, buying that color just increases the chances of having paint problems. In effect, you're rolling the dice.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-14 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 10:20 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yes I started noticing so many more hondas with this issue since ours started a few years back, and I took great care of the paint. This reminds me of the same issue that all the Chrysler K-cars had back in the day with their paint peeling as well.
Old 02-19-14, 01:32 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's clear coat failure on 2 stage paint. It's very common on dark green and black Honda's. My Honda is a 2002 with 150k miles but mine is silver with a clear coat. The paint still looks brand new.

Last edited by IS350jet; 02-20-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 01:33 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My daily driver TSX is slowly fading to a nice pinkish color. And no, I'm not going to do anything about it, thats the point of having a beater.
Old 02-19-14, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

We have a '93 Accord in the family and while it's paint has peeled, it was also neglected and has been in California and Arizona sun and now resides in Vegas with my sister.

Now my own paint looks showroom new because I maintain it. I always get compliments when folks find out it's 6 years old and flawless. People need to remember that word maintain cause they sure don't
Old 02-19-14, 03:25 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Any vehicle that is exposed to sunlight for all it's life will fade
Old 02-19-14, 03:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Any vehicle that is exposed to sunlight for all it's life will fade
My TSX sits in a garage, and the paint is otherwise shiny, but Milano Red is famous for turning pink (Google "Milano Pink Honda")

I do maintain the BMW and Mercedes and they look immaculate.

Quick Reply: What's with Honda's paint?