Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's with Honda's paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 12:48 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

silver is the most durable color and doesn't show dirt.
I'm going back to silver or another light color on my next car.

My smoky granite mica gets hot under the sun, and there's some tiny pitting on the roof, probably because it gets soft when hot. I wax it regularly.
I have a feeling the pitting might lead to peeling in a few years.

I see those hondas with peeling paint on the hood and roof. They're usually all swirled and scratched.
Looks like they use brillo pads and Dawn to wash their cars.
Old 02-24-14, 06:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Don't know if you all have noticed but I've seen countless Hondas from various model years with fading, oxidizing paint finishes. Some are really, really bad. An employee here has a 7 year old black Accord and I've watched as the paint has progressively been eaten away by the sun.

What is the issue with their paint and has it been corrected?
I have seen numerous Honda myself too. I had a 2003 Mazda6 that was never garaged, and when I sold it after 8 years, the guy buying it thought it was a 2008 MY looking at the paint and interior.
Old 06-22-14, 06:08 AM
LexFather

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...paint-warranty

Some solid support for Speedflex premises...

Old 06-22-14, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
silver is the most durable color and doesn't show dirt.
I'm going back to silver or another light color on my next car.?
At one time, especially in the days before clearcoats, silver was one of the LEAST durable colors, and had a reputation for fading almost overnight. That's because, like red, silver had very small, microscopic particles of iron in the pigment, and if the paint wasp not kept religiously waxed, the iron particles oxidized on contact with the air, and caused fading. Mercedes, more than any other single company, perfected the modern gleaming-silvers we see today....though, of course, clearcoat itself was major advance.

I see those hondas with peeling paint on the hood and roof. They're usually all swirled and scratched. Looks like they use brillo pads and Dawn to wash their cars.

Some of those automated car washes will do that to virtually any car and paint. I avoid them like the plague, and insist on washing by hand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-22-14, 11:09 AM
LexFather

More honda paint recalls

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...aint/index.htm

Old 06-22-14, 11:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At one time, especially in the days before clearcoats, silver was one of the LEAST durable colors, and had a reputation for fading almost overnight. That's because, like red, silver had very small, microscopic particles of iron in the pigment, and if the paint was to kept religiously waxed, the iron particles oxidized on contact with the air, and caused fading. Mercedes, more than any other single company, perfected the modern gleaming-silvers we see today....though, of course, clearcoat itself was major advance.

Some of those automated car washes will do that to virtually any car and paint. I avoid them like the plague, and insist on washing by hand.
We have some non touch auto car washers in my area but yes I typically wash by hand
Old 06-23-14, 11:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do it cheap, do it twice.
Old 06-24-14, 09:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We have some non touch auto car washers in my area but yes I typically wash by hand
no touch as in high pressure? that's also supposed to be bad for the paint.
Old 06-24-14, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
no touch as in high pressure? that's also supposed to be bad for the paint.
Yes. And perhaps, tried it once, didn't see any major difference. I stick to hand washing (though CA is in a major drought so my car is dirtier than usual )
Old 06-24-14, 10:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Lol. There is no "issue" with their paint. The issue is with lazy careless owners that never bother to wax the car either themselves or because they can't afford a decent detail/wax job. And they probably park outside, under trees, follow other vehicles too close(rock chips) etc. all bad habits that help accelerate paint deterioration.

Paint is but one organ of a vehicle just like your skin is an organ of the body. Treat it like **** and it will look like ****.

Lazy people in the mitsu world used to claim the same thing but if one analyzes the community and demographic it's typically lazy or cheap people with low standards for the reason that the paint looks terrible.
So it's basically that lazy people gravitate to certain brands? Wait... no... never mind.