Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinion: Why car dealerships are turning into coffee shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 11:43 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a big fan of the gold them Lexus had..

Old 02-09-14, 12:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Coffee, even expensive gourmet coffee, at most only typically adds a tiny amount to a dealership's overall operating expense. I don't see where it would have much, if any impact, on the dealership's bottom line. The cost of the dealership providing the Internet terminals you want (and PC's, if needed), is probably far more significant. Not everyone runs around with a Blackberry or Smart phone (at least not yet).

What a dealership WILL need, of course, if they do have regular (not decaffinated) coffee is nice rest rooms. The high concentration of caffiene in coffee stimulates urine production almost like a diuretic.
It's funny you mention that, because the line I've heard from salespeople and industry people over the years is, "Well, we can't discount it THAT much.... we still have to pay for your free washes and fill the coffee machines." In other words, *you are paying for these services and perks.* I'm not saying cut out coffee, I'm saying I don't need Starbucks, leather couches, and gold-trimmed desks. Give me the basics to be comfortable and let the deal, customer service, and car speak for the experience.
Old 02-09-14, 12:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Every single psychology studies refutes this belief. If you get a discount every time, it's not really a discount, is it?
It's more of a question of what form do you want your discount to be in. I'm saying it's more important for me to save $ on the deal, rather than have it go to free internet and fancy coffee.
Old 02-09-14, 12:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
. Let's be clear, it's a spa, cafe, nail salon, sushi bar, massage parlor, department store, and oh yea, they also sell a few cars. It's getting out of control.

I don't suppose they use any of the lotion from that parlor when they're raping you on the sales floor.
Old 02-09-14, 09:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I don't suppose they use any of the lotion from that parlor when they're raping you on the sales floor.
It's early in the day but I'm ready to give out the best post of the day award already

too funny
Old 02-09-14, 10:30 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha this almost made me spit out my coffee... nicely said sir.
Old 02-09-14, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's funny you mention that, because the line I've heard from salespeople and industry people over the years is, "Well, we can't discount it THAT much.... we still have to pay for your free washes and fill the coffee machines."
Coffee generally doesn't cost much, but car washes are another matter...especially for automated ones. They tend to use a lot of energy...and require maintenance.
Old 02-09-14, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I was a big fan of the gold them Lexus had..

Here in the US those gold emblems appealed to the older crowd. Not a good look IMO.
Old 02-10-14, 08:09 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more of a question of what form do you want your discount to be in. I'm saying it's more important for me to save $ on the deal, rather than have it go to free internet and fancy coffee.
And I'm saying that you simply won't care as much as you think you will. You judge the "goodness" of whatever deal you get by the standard of what you expect the average person pays. If this anchor is already set quite low, you are not going to feel that you got any sort of "good deal". This is why salesman will write down a number, and leave it in front of you while you negotiate. They are well aware that you will, as a matter-of-fact and quite outside of your conscious control, negotiate from that number rather than the number you'd like to pay. See page 14, anchoring bias: http://www.cog.brown.edu/courses/cg1...kyKahn1974.pdf

Furthermore, dealerships make a lot of their money not on car sales, but on service. You're saying they should make less money on car sales, and then even less on the service. What is their incentive to do this? Consumers have shown again and again that they care not about the price they pay, but the service they get. If this was not true, no one would ever shop anywhere but Wal-mart, or we would never have the customer service horror story that drive people from a particular business for the rest of their life.

Why is customer service so important? Because it's always the LAST experience you have with your dealership, and humans judge the quality of their experiences only at 2 points - the peak, and the end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak%E2%80%93end_rule, see also: http://www.psych.uncc.edu/pagoolka/pbr96.pdf in which people rate less pleasurable experiences as more pleasureable due to the end rule. How much you PAY for a car is neither of these - the peak is the feeling of joy at driving away in your new car, and the end is, obviously, the very last interaction you had with the service department.

Your suggestion would result in a bargain dealership with high customer turnover. Anyone can compete on price. That's the easiest thing in the world. It's providing the best experience that is intangible, difficult, and as we've seen from stories such as the Camaro ZL1 that was taken for a joyride by a dealership employee, often gets ******ed up. Providing good experiences is difficult because it's not about how you experience the situation, it's how you remember it, and these can be very different things.

Last edited by Infra; 02-10-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 08:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

It's funny you mention that, because the line I've heard from salespeople and industry people over the years is, "Well, we can't discount it THAT much.... we still have to pay for your free washes and fill the coffee machines." In other words, *you are paying for these services and perks.* I'm not saying cut out coffee, I'm saying I don't need Starbucks, leather couches, and gold-trimmed desks. Give me the basics to be comfortable and let the deal, customer service, and car speak for the experience.
That's just more dealership bull to justify the pricing. As long as you go in after having done your homework and know how much you're willing to pay for a given car, you probably aren't going to be taken for a ride. On the service end, dealer service is always more expensive than independents and no matter what they say, they charge that because they can and because people are willing to pay it.
Old 02-10-14, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here in the US those gold emblems appealed to the older crowd. Not a good look IMO.
It wasn't necessarily an age issue. Gold trim was simply a fad. And it was not very durable...just a thin gold coating on top of plastic or silver underneath. Run it through an automated car wash a few times (or rub it down with wax) and the resulting abrason caused the gold coating to start wearing off very quickly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
And I'm saying that you simply won't care as much as you think you will. You judge the "goodness" of whatever deal you get by the standard of what you expect the average person pays. If this anchor is already set quite low, you are not going to feel that you got any sort of "good deal". This is why salesman will write down a number, and leave it in front of you while you negotiate. They are well aware that you will, as a matter-of-fact and quite outside of your conscious control, negotiate from that number rather than the number you'd like to pay. See page 14, anchoring bias: http://www.cog.brown.edu/courses/cg1...kyKahn1974.pdf

Furthermore, dealerships make a lot of their money not on car sales, but on service. You're saying they should make less money on car sales, and then even less on the service. What is their incentive to do this? Consumers have shown again and again that they care not about the price they pay, but the service they get. If this was not true, no one would ever shop anywhere but Wal-mart, or we would never have the customer service horror story that drive people from a particular business for the rest of their life.

Why is customer service so important? Because it's always the LAST experience you have with your dealership, and humans judge the quality of their experiences only at 2 points - the peak, and the end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak%E2%80%93end_rule, see also: http://www.psych.uncc.edu/pagoolka/pbr96.pdf in which people rate less pleasurable experiences as more pleasureable due to the end rule. How much you PAY for a car is neither of these - the peak is the feeling of joy at driving away in your new car, and the end is, obviously, the very last interaction you had with the service department.

Your suggestion would result in a bargain dealership with high customer turnover. Anyone can compete on price. That's the easiest thing in the world. It's providing the best experience that is intangible, difficult, and as we've seen from stories such as the Camaro ZL1 that was taken for a joyride by a dealership employee, often gets ******ed up. Providing good experiences is difficult because it's not about how you experience the situation, it's how you remember it, and these can be very different things.
This is true, dealerships make money on service, not really cars. Some brands of course do well on others but some margins are ridiculous, making $500 on a 40k car for example with no factory backed incentives.

I agree people do want better service and will pay for it. Its always funny to see people who own a Lexus and a non-Lexus and they complain about the loaner they got, if they even get one. When my wife (finance at the time) had an Altima I hadn't stepped into a Nissan service bay in ages and I went to two different dealerships and was kind of appalled at the conditions. Dirty, small, cramped, cold. She never really thought about it until we took her Altima to Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett for service and she was treated super nicely, given a RX loaner and the dealership was like a luxurious hotel. She couldn't go back to Nissan lol (and I wasn't going to let her). She wasn't a car girl at the time so it was interesting to talk to her and pick her brain about service/dealership experiences and expectations.

Old 02-10-14, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
This is true, dealerships make money on service, not really cars.
In this age of (often) free service from the manufacturers as a sales-incentive, how much they actually make on service, in some cases, depends on just how much the shop can get reimbursed from the manufacturers for doing those free oil-changes, tire-rotations, diesel-urea solutions, inspections, etc.....in addition, of course, to regular warranty repairs, which are also re-imbursed by the factory.
Old 02-10-14, 10:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

>>>As your car showroom becomes more Ethan Allen than Honest Ed's, those executives might just be forgetting that substance always wins out over style. I want my dealer to know about cars not coffee, someone who knows the difference between a Buick and a barista.<<<

I want my dealer to know cars, and also serve good coffee. Both are needed by most of the population. What better way to serve them? Additionally, this also stops shelling out loaners for couple of hour services.
Old 02-10-14, 10:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ read that looking at your avatar .... nominated for the best performance

Quick Reply: Opinion: Why car dealerships are turning into coffee shops