Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Awards.....Best of the 2014 D.C. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
honestly the only thing I remember is that it was grey....I only spent about 10 secs glancing at it when I was on my way elsewhere
That seemed to be the case for all of the other dead-as-doornails Lincoln displays here at the D.C. show except for the MKC. I think that part of it, though, here, was that gorgeous Amythist color (which apparantly wasn't shown at Houston). A number of the people commented on it.
Old 02-04-14, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee

stang was a great choice though.
Yes. Ford did a very nice job streamlining the looks a little without taking away the basic Mustang look (that classic Mustang look, of course, basically sells the car). Mustang purists, though, especially those who like to do their burnouts, probably aren't going to be happy with that less-durable IRS. Drop the clutch at three or four thousand RPM with that new IRS enough times, and you're probably going to be replacing those U-joints and half-shafts.
Old 02-04-14, 11:51 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
The MKC shown at the Phoenix show had a 2.3 Ecoboost engine. The factory guy said it is a retuned version of the Mustang engine. His estimate for the rating was around 275 hp and near 300 lb-ft of torque. I inferred from what he said that is was the only engine for the MKC, but it may be an option to the 2.0 used in the top Escape.
Steve
Old 02-04-14, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Mike,
The MKC shown at the Phoenix show had a 2.3 Ecoboost engine. The factory guy said it is a retuned version of the Mustang engine. His estimate for the rating was around 275 hp and near 300 lb-ft of torque. I inferred from what he said that is was the only engine for the MKC, but it may be an option to the 2.0 used in the top Escape.
Steve
Thanks, cajun. The Lincon reps at the D.C. show said the MKC would use a 2.0T for regular production. I guess we'll wait and see what it ends up actually getting....2.0 or 2.3. Still doesn't change my opinion, though, that a vehicle of this class should have a V6 option for refinement.
Old 02-04-14, 01:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

On MotorWeek's show covering the Detroit auto show they said the 2.0 would be the standard engine with the 2.3 as the upgrade. I guess info like this could be subject to change.
Old 02-05-14, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On MotorWeek's show covering the Detroit auto show they said the 2.0 would be the standard engine with the 2.3 as the upgrade. I guess info like this could be subject to change.
I sure hope so. It really needs a V6 option for an upgrade. It would be a real shame if this otherwise superb new vehicle (IMO the best new product from Lincoln since the Town Car) didn't sell because they cheapened it out under the hood.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-05-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It would be a real shame if this otherwise superb new vehicle (IMO the best new product from Lincoln since the Town Car) didn't sell because they cheapened it out under the hood.
i doubt the four banger (particularly turbo) costs much less to produce, but the goal there is fuel economy. plus engines have come so far that many 4 bangers are now incredibly smooth except sometimes on hard throttle (noisy), but even then, sound insulation, noise cancellation, etc. can make it acceptable.
Old 02-05-14, 08:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I like to think there are plenty of folks like myself who would be willing to sacrifice a little mpg in exchange for the power and smoothness of a V6. I've specifically eliminated 4 bangers from my shopping list.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-05-14, 08:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I sure hope so. It really needs a V6 option for an upgrade. It would be a real shame if this otherwise superb new vehicle (IMO the best new product from Lincoln since the Town Car) didn't sell because they cheapened it out under the hood.
Whew! I thought you were slipping. I hadn't seen a Town Car reference for quite some time.
Old 02-05-14, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Whew! I thought you were slipping. I hadn't seen a Town Car reference for quite some time.
The Lincoln reps there at the D.C. show sure weren't slipping. They said that they get requests from the public at every car show to bring back the Town Car......and sharp complaints that it was dropped. The main problem, as they explained it, is that Lincoln management has now admitted that dropping it was, in a business sense, an error (as I've said all along), but that they don't think they can actually bring it back and meet the new CAFE rules at the same time. So, in that sense, blame Big Brother for its demise.
Old 02-05-14, 11:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The Lincoln reps there at the D.C. show sure weren't slipping. They said that they get requests from the public at every car show to bring back the Town Car......and sharp complaints that it was dropped. The main problem, as they explained it, is that Lincoln management has now admitted that dropping it was, in a business sense, an error (as I've said all along), but that they don't think they can actually bring it back and meet the new CAFE rules at the same time. So, in that sense, blame Big Brother for its demise.
I was just kidding. I know how much you liked the Town Car and lament its passing.

In any case, it's not coming back and was axed for a variety of reasons CAFE being one of them. But there were numerous other reasons too.
Old 02-06-14, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In any case, it's not coming back and was axed for a variety of reasons CAFE being one of them. But there were numerous other reasons too.
According to the Lincoln reps, CAFE was the top reason. And they know that a lot of former Town Car owners are p***ed off.

I've often (deservedly) panned the Town Car's MKS replacement. But, to be fair, it DOES offer one major selling point over the Town Car....a nice AWD system for bad weather. The RWD Town Car, even with electronic traction-aids, could be a real handful in slick conditions without chains or studded tires (which are illegal in many areas).