Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Where are the minivans and the most current crossovers -- and at the risk of sounding like a fanboy -- where are the current Toyota crossovers, the RAV4, Venza and Highlander? What made those first minivans, and the RAV4, Venza (and probably the Highlander also -- to be confirmed) good vehicles for seniors are the low step-in height, the short step over the sill and the near-ideal hip-point of the seats. In these vehicles, the height of the car and the height of the seats off the car floor and off the ground makes it easy to slide into the seat rather than having to climb up into them or plop down into them.

Let me offer my insights on the Honda Accord, which my wife drives. Yes, the driver's seat is power assisted, so it is possible to raise its height quite high. But the cowl (base of the windshield) is very high, which means that the instrument panel is high and the steering wheel must sit high to avoid blocking the view of the instruments. I find the steering wheel to be too high, leading to sore shoulders as my arms have to sit at an unnatural angle; younger people may not mind but for an older person like myself, it is uncomfortable.

The Accord's front passenger seat, however, is not power assisted, and like most Hondas, sits very low to the floor; As a result, I find it difficult to get in. After stepping up and over the sill, I find myself suddenly having to plop a great distance down into the seat. I may not yet be a senior, but I am known for having had my share of sore knees, hips and lower back. Plopping down into a too-low seat is difficult on the lower body.
Old 02-01-14, 09:21 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Mid age Boomer,and I believe that my RX with rear camera, parking assist will benefit me in a few years. The HID's and fog lights will be a big help as well. I'm not so old that I feel like I need all those tech nannies like BLIS,adaptive cruise,etc. I still like to drive the RX myself,not let the computer have the pleasure of driving.
Old 02-02-14, 01:54 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

No offense to the author Warren Clarke, but that list is useless. I could easily add at least another 30 models to that list, if not more. With the exception of some low slung sports cars, some mini models, and a few high slung SUVs, many cars could make that list.

But I not knocking Warren, his editor tells him he has to write an article about something.
Old 02-02-14, 03:31 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

you would never guess it 5 years ago an Acura RDX is more appeal to seniors than a Toyota Avalon
Old 02-02-14, 08:04 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
No offense to the author Warren Clarke, but that list is useless. I could easily add at least another 30 models to that list, if not more. With the exception of some low slung sports cars, some mini models, and a few high slung SUVs, many cars could make that list.

But I not knocking Warren, his editor tells him he has to write an article about something.

This seems more like a paper spec assessment than a real, seat-of-the-pants assessment by real seniors.
Old 02-02-14, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I personally question the selection of the A8 over the LS. The A8 has a rather complex infotainment interface with a rather small screen, the simpler Lexus system and the huge screen to me would be more appealing to seniors.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good thread, Mike, though, in general, the only one out of these ten that I personally think has a smooth enough ride for seniors (and non-seniors who also like a smooth ride) is the Mercedes E-Class.
I drove the E Class at length, I don't think it rides any better than my GS. Its looser and sloppier, more ponderous feeling but when it comes to actual bump soaking comfort...I think the GS may even ride better.

This was one of my specific complaints about the E Class, it was loose and ponderous without delivering the serene ride you'd expect from loose and ponderous.
Old 02-02-14, 09:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sure there are one or two out there, but I'd like to see a survey or two of actual seniors along the lines of "what are you driving?". This list, along with others, list what they think is best, not necessarily what is actually being purchased/leased by seniors.