Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

my Washington Auto Show 2014 photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Great pics and thanks for the write-up... Many of us here note how empty acura booths are at shows.
When I was there, the Lincoln display was deader than the Acura one, though you are correct that the Acura displays no longer generate the traffic they once did.
Old 01-28-14, 07:42 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Yep! The old 4.3L V6 has been around for nearly 30 years and has been in production all this time, finding its way into GM work vehicles like the basic vans and trucks. The V-6 powered ones have all been the old workhorse 195hp 4.3L. Absolutely nothing to get excited about there, just a workhorse truck engine that goes and goes, and literally a 350cid 5.7L small-block V8 with two cylinders chopped off. The numbers on the new one are 285hp and 305 ft-lbs of torque. Huge upgrade. Look at those massive intake runners too.

90 degrees odd firing V6.

I guess it gets the job done.

But tbh older, less sophisticated motors are actually better on fuel. Since all this technology in the last 20yrs has increased power more than anything else.

My Hiace van with the 2RZ Carburutted engine actually gets excellent MPG. And it's 24yrs old with 600,000km. Though I wouldn't call unsophicated. Like all Toyota engines. Especially those from 80's/90's they were all built for a certain purpose and were sturdy in design, execution and quality.

The engine runs smooth as new. But the van just needs new bushes / control arms to help with the awful pavement quality here.

Last edited by yowps3; 01-28-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Yeah, the "A-" must be why they didn't have the Lexus RC-F on display. That was one car I really wanted to see in person. The rep said it was still in Detroit. This was on Saturday.

-Mike
Yes, if there's a conflict (and/or a date-overlap) between the D.C. and Detroit show for a certain vehicle, the Detroit show almost always wins out. That's because the Detroit show usually attracts a lot more auto-press than here in D.C.
Old 01-28-14, 08:33 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3
90 degrees odd firing V6.

I guess it gets the job done.

But tbh older, less sophisticated motors are actually better on fuel. Since all this technology in the last 20yrs has increased power more than anything else.

My Hiace van with the 2RZ Carburutted engine actually gets excellent MPG. And it's 24yrs old with 600,000km. Though I wouldn't call unsophicated. Like all Toyota engines. Especially those from 80's/90's they were all built for a certain purpose and were sturdy in design, execution and quality.

The engine runs smooth as new. But the van just needs new bushes / control arms to help with the awful pavement quality here.
With 11:1 compression, the same displacement, cylinder deactivation, direct injection, and all of that torque it's a sure bet that the new engine will be A LOT more efficient and capable than the old. And GM seems to know a thing or two about keeping DI engines running free of carbon deposits, so hopefully it'll be pretty reliable too and not get clogged up with gunk. Yeah, no mention of a balance shaft, so probably won't be the smoothest running engine in the world, but I bet most would prefer it to Dodge's 3.6L and Ford's 3.7L DOHC V6 engines. Have had trucks or SUVs as rentals with both of those engines, and they're both too peaky.

4.3L power curves.

Looks like an awesome engine, but not sure about the rest of the trucks. My kids hopped in a Silverado, and at quick glance helping them in and out I wasn't overly impressed with the interior at all. Guessing the interior living space is far nicer in the outgoing and new F150, and the Ram too.
Old 01-28-14, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

How much are tickets for the DC show?

The Chicago Auto Show is $12 for adults/$6 for seniors/$6 for kids 7-12..

You can always get free or discounted tickets from various dealers.
Old 01-28-14, 10:37 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I went through bag check while my wife got tickets, but I'm pretty sure that's what the prices were for the DC show, too. My 4yr old was free, but we had to pay for my 6yr old.
Old 01-28-14, 10:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I went through bag check while my wife got tickets, but I'm pretty sure that's what the prices were for the DC show, too. My 4yr old was free, but we had to pay for my 6yr old.
Actually auto shows are cheap entertainment for a car person. I just picked up 2 free tix at the local Chevy dealer.
Old 01-28-14, 02:42 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, if there's a conflict (and/or a date-overlap) between the D.C. and Detroit show for a certain vehicle, the Detroit show almost always wins out. That's because the Detroit show usually attracts a lot more auto-press than here in D.C.
Yeah, I figured that was the reason. Detroit is the one that kicks off the auto show season. I'm cool with that.. The Detroit auto industry is in my blood. I grew up in the area. Two grandfathers, my Dad, a step-Dad, and two uncles all retired from Ford

I was just disappointed they only have one RC-F on the show circuit. It appears that Ford has more than one 2015 Mustang out for show.

-Mike
Old 01-28-14, 03:20 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Great pics, great thread. Thank you!
Old 01-28-14, 03:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I was just disappointed they only have one RC-F on the show circuit. It appears that Ford has more than one 2015 Mustang out for show.
The Mustang is WAY more important for Ford than the RC-F is to Lexus. Mustang has a huge storied past and will sell in volumes in one year that the RC-F likely won't reach in its entire lifecycle. And the Mustang is much closer to full production readiness with probably at least a test line slowly churning some out. RC-F was likely still a hand built show car.
Old 01-28-14, 04:54 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

With 11:1 compression, the same displacement, cylinder deactivation, direct injection, and all of that torque it's a sure bet that the new engine will be A LOT more efficient and capable than the old. And GM seems to know a thing or two about keeping DI engines running free of carbon deposits, so hopefully it'll be pretty reliable too and not get clogged up with gunk. Yeah, no mention of a balance shaft, so probably won't be the smoothest running engine in the world, but I bet most would prefer it to Dodge's 3.6L and Ford's 3.7L DOHC V6 engines. Have had trucks or SUVs as rentals with both of those engines, and they're both too peaky.

4.3L power curves.

Looks like an awesome engine, but not sure about the rest of the trucks. My kids hopped in a Silverado, and at quick glance helping them in and out I wasn't overly impressed with the interior at all. Guessing the interior living space is far nicer in the outgoing and new F150, and the Ram too.
Yes it will defiantly be more volumetric efficient. But other than cylinder deactivation serving to reduce fuel consumption, I've noticed that DI engines actually consume more fuel than port injected ones.. And the combustion in DI is not as clean as port injected in certain operating circumstances. Though at WOT it's no doubt better.
Old 01-28-14, 05:11 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Same thing with any engine these days. Many of them are making more power than ever, especially turbocharged ones. Push them harder, make more power, you're burning more gas for sure. The engines aren't "less efficient". Drivers are.
Old 01-29-14, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How much are tickets for the DC show?
Yes, $12 for adults; $5 for kids.

You can always get free or discounted tickets from various dealers.
True. Just walk in to any local D.C. area car-dealership and ask for them the sales-manager's desk. But it may pay to call first. Some dealershps run out of passes or give away just a limited number....and some try to B.S. and say they don't get any passes to start with. They DO get them...they just hold on to them sometimes.