Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Turbo-prospects for the new Mazda 3 and 6 sedans.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Turbo-prospects for the new Mazda 3 and 6 sedans.

BrettJacks, you and some others here in CAR CHAT recently expressed some interest in the new Mazda3 and Mazda6, and wondering if there would be turbo Mazdaspeed versions of them. I spent several hours at the D.C. auto show yesterday,and will also be going back a few days next week. I did manage to get to the Mazda display downstairs on the show's lower floor and chat with the reps, though the company didn't have a whole lot of floor-space available for displays...certanly not like the huge displaysand vast floor space at Ford/Chevy/Toyota. Nevertheless, some samples of both the new 3 and 6 were there.....all out on the floor unlocked, and I looked at and sat in them. The older Mazda rep I spent the most time chatting with (there were a couple more there) seemed pretty sharp and on top of things....he was a long-standing vet, and worked the Madza show-circuit for over 20 years. nI fact, Mazda had a completely restored silver 1991 626 sedan there on the floor with some custom-changes/updates (like Bentley upholstery) that had been done as a company PR project...that rep had been part of the project, and explained it in detail. Anyhow, when I got to the question of when (if ever) we would see a new Mazdaspeed 3 or 6, he said that, while there were (and are) no firm plans for an introduction date, a new MazdaSpeed3 was still quite likely...the company was already in the initial process of the planning. As for a new MazdaSpeed6, however, probably not...though, at first, he didn't actually give a reason for it. He did, though, upon another of my questions, agree that the former AWD turbo MazdaSpeed6's low sales was probably the reason...notwithstanding the obvious fact that you can't sell what you don't build. Mazda, at the time, only planned for and made a few thousand of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well that's good news about a new Speed3. Although I don't think that a Speed6 is necessary (I'd like one though), I do think they need to offer an optional AWD system and an upgraded motor be it a turbo 4 or V6 vs just the standard NA 2.5 I4, and the upcoming diesel variant. More options would help towards volume which Mazda is keen on for their 400,000 unit sales goal in the upcoming years
Old 01-26-14, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well that's good news about a new Speed3. Although I don't think that a Speed6 is necessary (I'd like one though), I do think they need to offer an optional AWD system and an upgraded motor be it a turbo 4 or V6 vs just the standard NA 2.5 I4, and the upcoming diesel variant. More options would help towards volume which Mazda is keen on for their 400,000 unit sales goal in the upcoming years
The last AWD MazdaSpeed6 was known as "An STi/Evo for adults".
Old 01-26-14, 12:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The last AWD MazdaSpeed6 was known as "An STi/Evo for adults".
Co-Worker of Mine actually in his 50's has a Black on Black Speed6 with most of the Cobb bolt-ons and the tune.
Old 01-26-14, 04:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I just noticed this thread. Thanks for the info

The Mazda 6s is pretty tempting(probably won't buy new though). Also giving a strong eye to the Mazda3, the Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Fusion, and the Chevrolet Cruze. I know that I'm mixing across different classes
Old 01-27-14, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I just noticed this thread. Thanks for the info
Always glad to help.

The Mazda 6s is pretty tempting(probably won't buy new though).
The Mazda6 has always has been more of a handing-oriented car than most of its mid-sized sedan competiton. Past models had some problems with the automatic transmissons, but those were generally licked a number of years ago. Mazda didn't get the nickname "Poor Man's BMW" for nothing, and, IMO, that nickname (along with the former "Kansai" engineering) generally makes more sense than the silly "Zoom Zoom" phrase they use now.

Also giving a strong eye to the Mazda3, the Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Fusion, and the Chevrolet Cruze. I know that I'm mixing across different classes
By all means...go check out a new Fusion. I don't think you will be disappointed....once you get past the SYNC and Ford MYTouch systems.
Old 01-27-14, 09:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would love to see a coupe version of the new Mazda 3. I don't care for Mazdaspeed as I've reached the age where I don't care much about engine performance anymore, but I still have a soft spot for good looking coupes.
Old 01-27-14, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I would love to see a coupe version of the new Mazda 3. I don't care for Mazdaspeed as I've reached the age where I don't care much about engine performance anymore, but I still have a soft spot for good looking coupes.
I wasn't terribly impressed with the new Mazda3's interior...especially the dash. I thought the single large tach/small buried digital speedo combination was not well done, and the pop-up center-screen on the dash looked cheap and tacky.

Old 01-27-14, 10:07 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't terribly impressed with the new Mazda3's interior...especially the dash. I thought the single large tach/small buried digital speedo combination was not well done, and the pop-up center-screen on the dash looked cheap and tacky.

Pop-up seems to be the trend. It looks bad in a Mercedes, it looks bad in an Audi, and it looks bad in a Mazda.

Don't you think, though, that the interior looks OK for a sub-20k car? If not, which car in that class does it better?
Old 01-27-14, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
Don't you think, though, that the interior looks OK for a sub-20k car? If not, which car in that class does it better?
A MazdaSpeed3 version (if it debuts as rumored) probably would not run under 20K. Yes, though, I'll agree, by econobox standards, the interior, in general, it doesn't look bad.

You ask what car in the sub-20K range has a nice interior? I never liked the dull, underpowered, appliance-like way that the now-discontinued Chevrolet Aveo actually drove, but the LT2 version had what I thought was a stunning interior for an econobox in that range.

Old 01-27-14, 10:52 AM
LexFather

Such a looker…..

Old 01-27-14, 11:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Such a looker…..

Very nice! I'm surprised that Mazda 3 & 6 aren't showing stronger sales numbers with everything they have going for them now. The CX5 is lights out +85% thru Dec. 3 was -15% for the year and 6 was +29%.
Old 01-27-14, 11:37 AM
LexFather

^^^ I've heard the 6 is selling at capacity..they just don't have the huge volume to sell more...

Old 01-27-14, 12:22 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the looks of the new 6. I would really love to see how a new Mazdaspeed6 would look!
Old 01-27-14, 01:11 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mazda had a completely restored silver 1991 626 sedan there on the floor with some custom-changes/updates (like Bentley upholstery) that had been done as a company PR project...that rep had been part of the project, and explained it in detail.
LOL I was wondering what that was! I didn't actually swing by the Mazda booth but I saw from my photos what looked to be an old 626 and was like, HUH?

Quick Reply: Turbo-prospects for the new Mazda 3 and 6 sedans.