Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Hyundai make a Luxury Division

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's nothing special about me, or simply because I'm speaking it. Doesn't take much sense to put two and two together. Heck, a grade-school kid can figure that out. 2+2=4 is not opinion, but simple fact. One does not have to be Einstein to understand that.
You are assuming a causality situation that you cannot prove, and have no basis from which to assume other than your own biases.. Just because the Equus doesn't sell "well" and doesn't have a lot of colors doesn't mean it doesn't sell well BECAUSE it doesn't have a lot of colors.
Old 01-27-14, 04:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You are assuming a causality situation that you cannot prove, and have no basis from which to assume other than your own biases.. Just because the Equus doesn't sell "well" and doesn't have a lot of colors doesn't mean it doesn't sell well BECAUSE it doesn't have a lot of colors.
If Hyundai management felt that the lack of color choices was holding back Equus sales, it would be an easy, quick and relatively cheap fix to offer a couple more colors. IMO the color argument is not the case.
Old 01-27-14, 04:56 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nothing special about me, or simply because I'm speaking it. Doesn't take much sense to put two and two together. Heck, a grade-school kid can figure that out. 2+2=4 is not opinion, but simple fact. One does not have to be Einstein to understand that.

I didn't "Make up my Mind" on anything. The market itself spoke, with its $$$$$. That's not me....that's simply people ignoring the car.
it almost seems like you aren't reading other posters argument.

some posters provided factual proof that those colors equus have dominates the market. and i argued that jaguar with 15 colors(with various different tones including green lol) aren't leading in sales. as a matter of fact, they outsold equus by whopping 97 units. whoo d friggin do.

so in your la la land having green, gold, purple, dark poopy brown, lighter poopy brown may help hyundai to sell more equus, but obviously hyundai isn't listening to your grand la la land logic. shame on them for only providing 5 colors. they are awful at selling cars. i bet adding 4 more colors would double their sales. so most definitely equus would outsell XJ. i mean come on. it's 9 colors.
Old 01-27-14, 05:01 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nabbun
VW Phaeton proves you don't need a luxury brand to release expensive vehicles.

The Genesis and Equus doesn't sell well because they aren't great vehicles.

i'm not sure where you are going with this. Phaeton sold very poorly. i don't know how much they sold phaetons, but i bet it's not much more equus.

and of course, anybody can release expensive vehicles. i'm sure subaru can launch all new super duper 120k S class beater. problems is nobody's gonna buy it maybe except [a few]...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-14 at 08:08 PM. Reason: remove stereotyping
Old 01-27-14, 05:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Was just about to respond with this..

It's also funny if you look at the newest Mercedes S-class; it's available in 5 colors with various shades- Silver, white, black, green, and blue.
Old 01-27-14, 05:58 PM
bruins678
Rookie

I think Hyundai (5% US market share) would be happy for the time-being to establish itself on equal grounds with Toyota, Honda and Nissan (15%, 10%, 8% respectively). If (or when) they can sell their equivalent cars for the same price as those brands, then maybe they'll be ready to launch a luxury brand.
Old 01-27-14, 08:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

hlee - enough with the stereotyping even if you have 'data' claims to back up your case. it's inflammatory.
Old 01-27-14, 08:12 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I always thought they were trying to position Hyundai itself as the "premium luxury" brand above Kia.

Hyundai:Kia::Acura:Honda

It's "smart premium" or whatever that niche market is between "regular" economy cars and "luxury" brands.
Old 01-28-14, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee
so in your la la land having green, gold, purple, dark poopy brown, lighter poopy brown may help hyundai to sell more equus,
LOL. There's a difference between La-La-land and simple commmon sense. I'm generally sticking with the latter.

but obviously hyundai isn't listening to your grand la la land logic.
No they aren't. And the Equus doesn't sell. Case closed.

shame on them for only providing 5 colors.
Yes, we'll agree on this.....but it's actually four instead of five (unless they just added one I'm not aware of).

they are awful at selling cars.
Only with the Equus. Just about everything else they offer in the American market is doing quite well.......especially the Sonata and Elantra. (And those othe products aren't hamstrung with the same color restrictions).

i bet adding 4 more colors would double their sales.
Not necessarily, but we would almost surely see an increase.

but so most definitely equus would outsell XJ. i mean come on. it's 9 colors.
Apples and oranges. The Equus not only substantially undercuts the XJ (which I have also reviewed) in price, but also appeals to a somewhat different type of car-buying crowd. Jag XJ buyers are more likely to consider the Audi A8, BMW 7-series, and Mercedes S-class as the primary competitiors. The Equus, in comparision, despite the price difference, is more along the lines of the Lexus LS460.
Old 01-28-14, 10:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
.... and i argued that jaguar with 15 colors(with various different tones including green lol) .....
not to digress, but if Jaguar did not offer one in green, then I would say they have lost their way.
A Jaguar in British Racing Green is a must. no exception.
Old 01-29-14, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

.... and i argued that jaguar with 15 colors(with various different tones including green lol) .....
Originally Posted by chikoo
A Jaguar in British Racing Green is a must. no exception.
I agree. The problem, though, is that there seems to be 15 different opinions/shades as to just exactly what color British Racing Green IS.
Old 01-29-14, 11:26 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

word for today

head·strong [hed-strawng, -strong] Show IPA
adjective
determined to have one's own way; willful; stubborn; obstinate: a headstrong young man.
proceeding from or exhibiting willfulness: a headstrong course.
Old 01-29-14, 11:30 AM
LexFather

word for today

head·strong [hed-strawng, -strong] Show IPA
adjective
determined to have one's own way; willful; stubborn; obstinate: a headstrong young man.
proceeding from or exhibiting willfulness: a headstrong course.
irony

iro·ny noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny

: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Old 01-29-14, 11:37 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

LOL. There's a difference between La-La-land and simple commmon sense. I'm generally sticking with the latter.

No they aren't. And the Equus doesn't sell. Case closed.

Only with the Equus. Just about everything else they offer in the American market is doing quite well.......especially the Sonata and Elantra. (And those othe products aren't hamstrung with the same color restrictions).

Apples and oranges. The Equus not only substantially undercuts the XJ (which I have also reviewed) in price, but also appeals to a somewhat different type of car-buying crowd. Jag XJ buyers are more likely to consider the Audi A8, BMW 7-series, and Mercedes S-class as the primary competitiors. The Equus, in comparision, despite the price difference, is more along the lines of the Lexus LS460.

you are implying

1. hyundai has no common sense
2. many posters here have no common sense

and no you are wrong. Azera isn't selling well either. veloster is lackluster. genesis & coupe are so-so.

equus is selling relatively well. i mean it's only selling less than 100 units than XJ which is premiere flagship sedan with 15 colors.

are you implying ls460 doesn't belong in those list?
Old 01-29-14, 11:44 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
irony

iro·ny noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny

: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected
what's ironic about anything i've said in this thread?
that dude is the one who ignores other posters argument vehemently from the start. and yes, that's being headstrong because he isn't listening.

and if you are going to debate, then please feel free to chime in. or just go talk lexus in other posts.

what is your OPINION on equus low sales figure?
do you think having only 5 colors is a the reason for poor sale?

Quick Reply: Should Hyundai make a Luxury Division