Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had the worst customer service experience in my life at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 12:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Thumbs down Had the worst customer service experience in my life at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ

I had a new windshield in my car installed on 1/23/12 and took my car in on 1/27/12 for a mild vibration issue. The dealership had my car for 23 days and put over 600 miles on my car test driving the car. After 23 days in the shop the service advisor called me to tell me that the tech and foreman at the dealership could not figure out what was wrong with the car and that they wanted a field rep from Lexus to evaluate the car. I agreed and took my car home. On the way home as I drove into the sun I noticed that my brand new windshield was heavily pitted. I thought it may have been some over spray but after cleaning the windshield repeatedly it was pretty obvious it was damaged. I called my SA to mention it to him and he said that he didn't remember doing any damage to the car ,he said he drove it carefully, and that they weren't going to replace any glass. After driving into the sunset one more time I got kind of irritated with how badly the glass was pitted. I decided to write the SA and manager an email asking to have the glass replaced and that I was unhappy at the fact that my glass was damaged. I also explained that I wasn't going to let this go because a little over a year ago I had the tech at the dealership put new wipers in my car and when I picked up the car there was a huge perfectly arc shaped scratch in my glass that followed the exact track of the wiper. Obviously the tech must have triggered the wiper before the new insert was in place and the metal arm left a superficial scratch in the glass ( about 32"). I complained to the SA and he said that the tech denied doing any damage. I didn't want to make a big stink so I replaced the glass, but I couldn't in good conscious pay for their damage to my car for the second time. The tech on this last visit also lost 2 of my wheel locks and I replaced them, once again to not make a big deal ( they also put a 4" scratch on the roof of my GS and ignored me when I mentioned it to them ). After emailing the SA and manager at Bell Lexus in Phoenix, I didn't receive a response. I waited 10 days and was pretty amazed that an issue like this was being handled so poorly, especially being an owner of an LS460 and a GS350 previously ( and purchased new at that particular dealership). I emailed the manager again telling him that I was unhappy and was not going to just go away because he wants to ignore me. You would think after buying a new car there and being a good customer at the dealership for 5 years that the manager would settle this honorably. WRONG !!!!! This idiot manager told the SA to tell me that he would pay half of my deductible and that I was no longer welcome at their service department because I was to picky. I was in disbelief. These people are supposed to service Lexus vehicles but then they tell you they cant figure out the issue with the car ( no wonder since the foreman couldn't put either one of my door panels off after he did the wind noise fix) after 23 days . Then they damaged my brand new windshield. To top it off when I email the manager and get no response after 10 days ( The manager told the SA he forgot to email me back) and send him another email telling I am not going to go away and that I will escalate things by calling Lexus if he continues to ignore me for more than another week ( total window of 17 days to answer an email ) , he offers me $250 and to never return to his service drive for being to picky. WOW!! Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ is the worst dealership I have ever visited in my entire life. Anyone in the Phoenix/AZ area who needs service, do yourself a favor and stay away from these inept, unprofessional, rude, and sorry bunch . Bell Lexus is a poor excuse for a Lexus dealership. When I called Lexus corporate they were in disbelief at the extremely poor level of treatment, said they will look into it. Lexus customer asked what I wanted. I simply said I want my glass replaced on principle.

In the future I will be avoiding Bell Lexus in Phoenix like cancer. If you want your car serviced without risk of being repeatedly damaged and asked to go away when you complain because you are to picky, then avoid Bell Lexus as well

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-12-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 02:42 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that is definitely a terrible experience, I hope corporate does look into it and that your windshield does get replaced without you having to spend anything! 23 days and over 600 miles huh sounds like someone used your car as their own while "testing it".

If this was me i'd be sharing my experience on other sites too (i.e. Yelp) to maximize the number of people that hear about your terrible experience. You'd be surprised how quickly things get resolved when a business realizes a large number of viewers might be hearing something negative about them!
Old 03-12-12, 05:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

600 test drive miles?

That's all I need to know about that dealership.
Old 03-12-12, 07:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2 questions

did you thoroughly inspect the windshield after it was initially replaced or only after you noticed the pitting? [my point is that it may have just been a cheap quality windshield with flaws in it from the very beginning].

did you question them immediately about putting 600 miles on the car?
Old 03-12-12, 07:24 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man that sucks big time Tammer!! Hope you can get this issue resolved :/ What happened to the 1st windshield?
Old 03-12-12, 10:52 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how Lexus sets up their franchises or how much control they have, but dealers are getting out of hand. I had a similar experience when the dealer told me that they were no longer interested in working on my car after they couldn't fix an in-warranty repair and didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. Lexus corporate didn't even care, just told me to use another dealer. For my last two oil changes I had to drive to the next closest dealership, which is an hour away. I couldn't believe it. I don't have that car anymore and even though I would prefer to buy another Lexus, I cannot do so with this kind of dealership support.
Old 03-12-12, 11:10 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

23 days, 600 miles to "TEST" a car? 26 miles a day? I would RAISE HELL as thats ONE too many miles to "test" a car for repair.
Old 03-12-12, 12:28 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam thats messed up! Do a local google map review too
Old 03-12-12, 01:59 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
I don't know how Lexus sets up their franchises or how much control they have, but dealers are getting out of hand. I had a similar experience when the dealer told me that they were no longer interested in working on my car after they couldn't fix an in-warranty repair and didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. Lexus corporate didn't even care, just told me to use another dealer. For my last two oil changes I had to drive to the next closest dealership, which is an hour away. I couldn't believe it. I don't have that car anymore and even though I would prefer to buy another Lexus, I cannot do so with this kind of dealership support.
These dealers are getting worse because more and more customers just don't care about their cars because they lease instead of owning their cars, especially the premium brands. The dealers are more concerned with how nice and snobby their facilities look than the actual car service. I always dislike the fact that my local dealer's service advisor doesn't even come out to look at the car and discuss my concerns. All he or she does is write up the order and offer me something to drink and give me that "pretentious customer service BS." All I really care about is that my car is well cared for by their technicians, but apparently some Lexus customers are more concerned with the "Lexus" experience than the actual car service.
Old 03-12-12, 02:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would simply be mad if they put 600 "test miles" on my car.
Old 03-12-12, 05:07 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Without second guessing the OP or the dealer, something doesn't smell right about this whole story:

- Every dealer I've ever dealt with would have told me to replace ANY aftermarket wheels (especially 22" ones) with my stock wheels before ever looking for a "minor vibration issue".

- Every premium dealer I've ever dealt with calls me daily if they have the keep my car or informs me that they will need to keep it a specific number of days. If a dealer doesn't call me, I'm calling or visiting them.

- I've never had a car at any dealership for any service for over a week, even for an engine replacement.

- 600 additional miles on a car while in for service is beyond the realm of belief. Is the OP mistaken? Did the dealer think the car was a loaner?
Old 03-12-12, 06:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Damn that is definitely a terrible experience, I hope corporate does look into it and that your windshield does get replaced without you having to spend anything! 23 days and over 600 miles huh sounds like someone used your car as their own while "testing it".

If this was me i'd be sharing my experience on other sites too (i.e. Yelp) to maximize the number of people that hear about your terrible experience. You'd be surprised how quickly things get resolved when a business realizes a large number of viewers might be hearing something negative about them!

I am still in disbelief. I can not these people represent Lexus. I feel like the screwed me then will not even entertain the idea of resolving the issue. They just told me to go away

Originally Posted by Joeb427
600 test drive miles?

That's all I need to know about that dealership.
They were letting the SA drive the car home every night and drive it back every morning. Must be a new test drive procedure thats allowed when the manager is inept and not paying attention. Not only did they put the 642 miles on the car, but they didnt even diagnose the issue and then think they can just get rid of me

Originally Posted by bagwell
2 questions

did you thoroughly inspect the windshield after it was initially replaced or only after you noticed the pitting? [my point is that it may have just been a cheap quality windshield with flaws in it from the very beginning].

did you question them immediately about putting 600 miles on the car?
I mentioned the 600 + miles to them and they didnt even bat an eye lash. Thats what they do at Bell Lexus. They love to ignore issue when brought up if the customer is to picky. The glass was pristine when installed and it is in fact Lexus glass. I didnt get the cheap stuff ( I never do)

Originally Posted by adamls2
Man that sucks big time Tammer!! Hope you can get this issue resolved :/ What happened to the 1st windshield?
Thanks buddy. The fisrt wind shield I ended up replacing on my own because I didnt want to make a big stink because I considered the SA a friend of mine ( same SA who told me to go away for the manager because the manager is to big of a ***** to tell me himself, and the same SA who told me " sometimes I wish you drove a BMW"
Originally Posted by Ty419
I feel for you man. In the end I was going to Bell Lexus because I liked the SA. We got along and he was usually on the ball ( except for the last 2 appointments where I had an appointment and he forgot totally that I was coming and was a bit frustrated when I showed up). Bell Lexus was 20 miles away whereas there is another only 6 miles from my office so in the end this will reduce my driving to service the car

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
23 days, 600 miles to "TEST" a car? 26 miles a day? I would RAISE HELL as thats ONE too many miles to "test" a car for repair.
I tried to bring it up but they said I was to picky and they " didnt want me back". I called Lexus because not only did these horrible techs not only not diagnose the issue, but they also put 600+ miles ( not sure if its 622 or 642 miles) and damaged my brand new wind shield and lost two of my wheel locks

Originally Posted by VIPG35
Dam thats messed up! Do a local google map review too
I intend to share my experience with any and everyone. I will show them that they cant get away with this, even if I have to get a lawyer involved.

Originally Posted by bsl888
These dealers are getting worse because more and more customers just don't care about their cars because they lease instead of owning their cars, especially the premium brands. The dealers are more concerned with how nice and snobby their facilities look than the actual car service. I always dislike the fact that my local dealer's service advisor doesn't even come out to look at the car and discuss my concerns. All he or she does is write up the order and offer me something to drink and give me that "pretentious customer service BS." All I really care about is that my car is well cared for by their technicians, but apparently some Lexus customers are more concerned with the "Lexus" experience than the actual car service.
Originally Posted by blacksc400
I would simply be mad if they put 600 "test miles" on my car.
I was pissed believe me, but imagine how it would feel when you mention it to the manger and he didnt call you back for 10 days and then when you recontacted him he tells you not to return

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Without second guessing the OP or the dealer, something doesn't smell right about this whole story:

- Every dealer I've ever dealt with would have told me to replace ANY aftermarket wheels (especially 22" ones) with my stock wheels before ever looking for a "minor vibration issue".

- Every premium dealer I've ever dealt with calls me daily if they have the keep my car or informs me that they will need to keep it a specific number of days. If a dealer doesn't call me, I'm calling or visiting them.

- I've never had a car at any dealership for any service for over a week, even for an engine replacement.

- 600 additional miles on a car while in for service is beyond the realm of belief. Is the OP mistaken? Did the dealer think the car was a loaner?
The stock wheels were on the car because they did ask for the stocks to evaluate the vibration. They didnt even call me after 18 days. I had to call them myself to follow up ( actually I think I texted). I was trying not to rush them because I wanted them to figure it out since the issue was driving me nuts. I know the time line is insane but trust me when I say that everything I am saying is as written. Again, I am not mistaken about the 600 miles and in fact it is slightly more than 600 miles on the car

BELL LEXUS SUCKS !!! They are a miserable excuse for a dealership and the manager should be fired for his poor treatment of his customers. Especially a customer with an LS460, a previous new GS350 and one who never ever ever complained about cost of service. They even told me a few visits ago that they like me because I was a customer with "more money than time as opposed to more time than money". I have been patient with them in the past when they put my dash in my GS350 the wrong way twice and was patient when the BS foreman, who supposedly makes over 100k a year, of the shop couldn't even put either door panel on the wright way. There was literally 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the panel and the door frame. I was even patient when they had to try to put both panels a 3rd and 4th time because the panel was peeling off the frame.

What should have triggered an alarm when the foreman , SA, and manager told me that they cant figure it out since I don't have the original factory warranty and they " cant throw parts at the car". Is this how a mechanic or 100k a year foreman fixes a car?? Its like telling a sick patient that we need to keep transplanting organs and doing surgery until we get the right part. I was embarrassed for the manager when he told me " We're only human" to explain his very poor performance, the damage, and mileage on the car.
Old 03-12-12, 06:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner

1. stock wheels were on
2. they never called me I had to call them after over two weeks
3. They had previously done every service ( no matter how large in amazingly short time before this)
4. NO mistake at all with the mileage sad to say.

In the end Bell Lexus
1. had my car for 23 days
2. did not fix the problem
3. added 600+ miles to the car
4. damaged the glass
5. told me I was no longer wanted back

trust me when I say I am in awe at how ****ty the tech, manager, and even the foreman had become . You are not the only one. This is something that is becoming more common at these dealerships nowadays and we as a community should discuss this and try to be as vocal as possible to stop dealerships from thinking they can simply treat customers like this and think they can tell you to go away because it not easy addressing the issue and/or the damage that has been done to a customers private property

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-12-12 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 07:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Have you contacted corporate yet?
Old 03-12-12, 07:07 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Have you contacted corporate yet?
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Had the worst customer service experience in my life at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ