Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My aunt and uncle are huge Toyota people, they had an 89 or 90 Cressida which was also a great car, a 90 or 91 Camry, and an early 90s Celica (generation before your 95).
The Cressida was a nice car, and one of Toyota's first attempts to provide an American-like medium-to-large sedan to compete with the Detroit cruisers of the period. But it wasn't particularly successful in the marketplace, and, of course, led to the Avalon whch replaced it. The 1Gen 1994-1999 Avalon, BTW, was a superb product.....it was, of course, a stretched and even more-refined version of a platform that you and I both agree on was also superb...the 3Gen Camry.

The 94 Celica really poured on the looks, with those four big round headlights and the beautifully-done body curves, but Toyota also dropped the All-Trac AWD option that year and used some rather wimpy Corolla-based engines. Even the GT model only had 130 HP and even less torque. The base ST version, at 105-110 HP, was clearly underpowered.....(even by my conservative standards). The following generation Celica GTS, in 2000, used the 180 HP VVT-i four (still without much torque), but, IMO, looked and felt like a Hot-Wheels toy car....it was cheaply built.

As for the age groups, you have to realize that you approach every segment and every design decision from the perspective of the 55-65 demographic right

EVERY car can't be designed for them.
Absolutely. Totally agreed. But, IMO, older buyers (and even some younger ones) who like softer-riding, more conservative sedans are being virtually ignored. The relentless push to cars with stiffer underpinnings has left them with very few options today. That is why I think the latest Impala is going to do very well with people who otherwise wouldn't be looking at a new Chevy. . It, virtually alone today among today's mainstream, reasonably-priced sedans, offers a nice serene ride (and, even better, combines that comfortable ride with snappy, quick-steering ratio handling). That, it does not only as good or better than its sister Buick Lacrosse, but also better than the disappointing Cadillac XTS....all three cars are on the same platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, the 55-65 age group doesn't tend to be sporting enthusiasts (except maybe some of the older BMW guys and Mustang/Camaro/Challenger enthusiasts who grew up with the original ponycars 40-50 years ago).
think that's too general. and 55-65 is no longer 'old'. of course most are still working. TONS drive coupes and convertibles, having no need for a boring family sedan any longer. TONS can now buy something sporty, where they couldn't have in the past. i've worked with many execs who drove porsches, miatas, MB SL, bmw 3/6 series coupes, etc. or yes, they finally decided to get a modern american muscle type car, camaro, corvette, charger, mustang, etc.

In the last 10 years or so, the auto press has gotten enormous influence among the manufacturers.
i disagree - and believe the auto press is now largely irrelevant unless you're including everyone with a camera and a youtube account now.

The manufacturers seem to be fixated on those aged a couple of decades younger.
disagree again. while younger buyers are REALLY important, because they represent both current and future revenue and brand affinity, manufacturers target different vehicles at every demographic, just as they always have.
Old 02-10-14, 05:48 PM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol

No it doesn't.

Originally Posted by hlee12
vanilla done right

i don't care for passat's boring interior, but exterior looks great. will take passat over camry anytime anyday.
Old 02-11-14, 07:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mlgbwk
No it doesn't.
yeah, Passat has aged even worse than Camry.
Old 02-11-14, 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
think that's too general. and 55-65 is no longer 'old'. of course most are still working.
actually, i have read in one of the PR's for one of Toyota's cars that they still need to appeal to older population as 55 is not old anymore and they all drive for quite a lot longer than that these days.
Old 02-11-14, 09:54 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Vanilla done right is the new Accord. Nothing jumps out at you with the design, no overdone grille, no unnecessarily swoopy profile. But DAYAM, with the 18" wheel option and the LEDs it's one SHARP looking family sedan.

Trying to convince a friend to buy one, but only if he goes for the Touring package with the 18"s and LEDs.

I'm hoping the new Camry will have the new Corolla LED lowbeams. Those really make the new Corolla stand out when you check it out in the rear view mirror after you passed it on the highway going 90 in a 100km/h zone...
Old 02-11-14, 11:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Vanilla done right is the new Accord. Nothing jumps out at you with the design, no overdone grille, no unnecessarily swoopy profile. But DAYAM, with the 18" wheel option and the LEDs it's one SHARP looking family sedan.

Trying to convince a friend to buy one, but only if he goes for the Touring package with the 18"s and LEDs.

I'm hoping the new Camry will have the new Corolla LED lowbeams. Those really make the new Corolla stand out when you check it out in the rear view mirror after you passed it on the highway going 90 in a 100km/h zone...
I completely agree. The Accord shines in nearly all categories now, which is refreshingly great for struggling Honda.

One point, the Touring package comes with 17" alloys. To get the 18's, you are stuck with the Sport model, which doesn't have the LED drl's.
Old 02-11-14, 11:52 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I completely agree. The Accord shines in nearly all categories now, which is refreshingly great for struggling Honda.

One point, the Touring package comes with 17" alloys. To get the 18's, you are stuck with the Sport model, which doesn't have the LED drl's.
Sorry, I mean the Canadian model Touring package, which has those features. And not just DRL, but LED low beams with dual projectors. HOT!

Last edited by IceIridium; 02-11-14 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 05:01 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Struggling Honda, am I missing something? Sure they don't have much on offer for enthusiast but they have the mass market covered very well.
Old 02-12-14, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Yeah Honda is doing very well. Struggling?,,
Old 02-12-14, 10:34 AM
LexFather

Honda has 3 cars doing well, Civic, Accord, CR-V which accounts for most of their sales….

Old 02-12-14, 10:38 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Honda has 3 cars doing well, Civic, Accord, CR-V which accounts for most of their sales….
I think the Pilot and Oddysey does pretty good too.
Old 02-12-14, 11:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Honda has more than 3 cars doing well.

The Pilot and Odyssey also do very well, as does the Fit. The rest of their product line are all niche vehicles, the Ridgeline, the CRZ, Element, Insight,

Odyssey outsold Sienna in 2013....and when you compare the Grand Caravan & Town & Country separately the Odyssey was the best selling minivan in the US in 2013.

Fit outsold Yaris 2 to 1 in 2013...

Pilot sells almost identically to the Highlander, Highlander bested it by 1,000 units....the Highlander is old but IMHO the Pilot is a terrible vehicle.

I know you'e not a Honda fan, but facts are facts. Honda is doing very well, and their success in the marketplace is hardly limited to Civic, Accord and CR-V. In fact they are leading or within a few thousand units of leading in sales in 6 segments...I'd hardly call that "struggling".
Old 02-12-14, 12:06 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Sorry, I mean the Canadian model Touring package, which has those features. And not just DRL, but LED low beams with dual projectors. HOT!

I had one of these tailgate me the other (rainy) night. I could not tell very well what car it was. From far away, I thought it was an LS. When it got closer I thought it was a hybrid GS. Interestingly we ended up in the same restaurant.

I too think Honda did it right this time. It's been a long time since they produced a good looking car, the last gen Prelude IMO. To this day I still think it looks good.
Old 02-12-14, 12:16 PM
LexFather

If you look at a percentage of sales, those 3 models are most of their sales. Honda incentives are up compared to the past where they didn't need them. I'm not disagreeing they are not doing well, I am just stating these things.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary