Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 01:58 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
54k gets you the prestige package, that doesn't include dsg, locking diffs, sports suspension and drivers aids... you are far from nearly loaded.
And again, you're looking at the wrong trim level. The only thing Prestige adds is the adaptive cruise control and dynamic steering - things which do not contribute to performance. And there is no "sports suspension", there's an option for adaptive suspension - which again, does not contribute to performance, it just lets you turn it down to a "comfort" mode. I said "NEARLY LOADED" not "FULLY LOADED".

Anyways. This CLA is a well put together car. Someone in my parking garage has one. It's a nice looking car aside from the rear view, and the nav screen (as others have mentioned). The performance is undeniable, but I don't think I could ever deal with the considerable turbo lag (relative to other turbo cars you can buy TODAY... I don't much care about the turbo lag on an Evo for a comparison case).
Old 01-22-14, 05:46 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
And again, you're looking at the wrong trim level. The only thing Prestige adds is the adaptive cruise control and dynamic steering - things which do not contribute to performance. And there is no "sports suspension", there's an option for adaptive suspension - which again, does not contribute to performance, it just lets you turn it down to a "comfort" mode. I said "NEARLY LOADED" not "FULLY LOADED".

Anyways. This CLA is a well put together car. Someone in my parking garage has one. It's a nice looking car aside from the rear view, and the nav screen (as others have mentioned). The performance is undeniable, but I don't think I could ever deal with the considerable turbo lag (relative to other turbo cars you can buy TODAY... I don't much care about the turbo lag on an Evo for a comparison case).
Do you have lap times to prove that claim? You can still add on another 10k worth of options so once again I don't see how thats "nearly' fully loaded.
Old 01-22-14, 07:24 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
Do you have lap times to prove that claim? You can still add on another 10k worth of options so once again I don't see how thats "nearly' fully loaded.
I don't believe anyone's ever tested it to that extent, but you can take my word on it as an owner and participant in S4 forums for several years. No one who tracks their car buys it with an ADS because you'd want to swap it for adjustable coilovers, and the general opinion is that it's only purpose is for softer settings for street comfort.

Every DSG car has a setting for S mode, so it contains the "Sport" mode for the engine and transmission even in the base model.

Variable steering quite obviously could not improve performance, it simply adjusts the turn-ratio and steering effort required.

So let me again define what I meant. "Nearly loaded" means the car would have everything you'd need for performance, missing a few options for luxury/comfort such as the dynamic cruise control, side assist and adaptive suspension (and let's remember these are BIG cost items, and we're judging by options, not by cost of those options. The S6 has an option for a $5,900 stereo - if the car had everything else but not this one item, wouldn't you still consider it "nearly loaded"?), and not counting purely aesthetic items such as trim, full leather vs leather/alcantara, etc, which are subject to taste (meaning just because they add cost doesn't mean they must be included in a "loaded" car).

Let's also keep in mind you can option the CLA to $70k if you want "everything", so a $54k price in that car is much further from a "fully loaded" model. This is our basis for comparison.
Old 01-22-14, 07:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Doge and I were just debating the use of nearly-loaded. I would have said instead, "You can get a fairly basic S4 with most of the performance goodies for about $54k." "Nearly loaded" makes it sound like you got 3/4ths of the available options on the entire list.

Your S6 example is fine, because that's just one item. The S4 has plenty of options left off the list for the price you quoted. Nitpicking words, of course- once you explained your rationale I understood what you were talking about.
Old 01-22-14, 07:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just watch saabkyle04's video on youtube, the exhaust sounds so ricey. Buy a used C63 AMG instead
Old 01-22-14, 08:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of my neighbors have one, I don't think they are very good looking at all.
Old 02-02-14, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Still haven't seen an AMG version but I have seen a few CLA250's putting around. I like it from certain angles and def in person. Pictures don't do it justice. I'll never own one though
Old 02-03-14, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Still haven't seen an AMG version but I have seen a few CLA250's putting around. I like it from certain angles and def in person. Pictures don't do it justice. I'll never own one though
to me actually the more i see the car in person the less impressed i am
Old 03-24-14, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689

Default Shooting Brake Coming?

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-2501641/
Old 03-24-14, 08:15 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to me actually the more i see the car in person the less impressed i am
Ditto. Every time I see one, I think "I'd never buy that". It just doesn't look quite right from most angles to me. AMG's body kit won't be able to save it.
Old 03-25-14, 05:06 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

This thing only has a 13.2 gallon fuel tank (50 liters) LOL!
Old 03-25-14, 03:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
This thing only has a 13.2 gallon fuel tank (50 liters) LOL!
Good thing it gets mildly good fuel economy
Old 03-25-14, 04:28 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mildly good fuel economy? Name me another car that has 355hp and gets 23 MPG city and 31 MPG highway???
Old 03-25-14, 06:49 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

With as much power as this thing makes and as small as that fuel tank is, you will LITERALLY be able to see the fuel gauge moving downwards on WOT runs, LOL!
Old 03-25-14, 06:58 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Mildly good fuel economy? Name me another car that has 355hp and gets 23 MPG city and 31 MPG highway???
Those are paper MPG numbers from Mercedes. Take them with a real grain of salt. There was a recent review of the A180 with its dreadful performance and yet it used 10.1L/100km over 400km of country driving.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/270177/m...s-review-a180/

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG