Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota fires bullets into hydrogen fuel tanks, shoots down EV supporters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 02:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Maybe you have a different idea of what practical is. But without any place to fuel up your hydrogen car, I would not call that practical.

As for a hydrogen car being green, sure it is great if hydrogen was readily available. But to produce it takes energy, and any time you are converting one form of energy to another, there is loss. If your source is natural gas or through electrolysis or whatever, you've wasted energy instead of using the NG or electricity outright.

An EV is about 80% efficient or something like that, from generation to power to road. Hydrogen won't come anywhere near that.
You need to read those links i posted, as it seems that you dont understand how any of it works.

Please understand that EV's dont use natural gas or coal "outright".

Once again, power plants powered by coal and natural gas are 40% efficient on average. When you use electricity, it has to be generated by something and this case it is power plant. Elecricity does not come from the sky, it is not free, you are converting coal or natural gas to elecricity, and wasting 60% of it.
Old 01-17-14, 04:40 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spwolf is right, at least according to Toyota estimations.

Have a look at the table about well-to-wheel efficiencies on page 3 here:
http://www.toyota.com/esq/pdf/Toyota...ynote_2010.pdf
Old 01-17-14, 06:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I find Toyota's projections wildly optimistic. Either way, I would much rather have an EV. With hydrogen I'm still a slave to the pump I have no option to generate and store my own energy.
Old 01-17-14, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
No. Converting energy from coal, NG, solar etc. to electricity is not the same as producing hydrogen and using it as fuel. You are adding the extra process to produce, store and transport. That extra step is hugely wasteful, the hydrogen becomes the energy carrier not the energy source.
funny that you're in alberta, land of shale oil, massive polluter, and now the biggest supplier of oil to the u.s.
Old 01-18-14, 12:34 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to beat Hydogen vehicles on efficiency and cleanliness? Buy solar panels and charge with that.
Old 01-18-14, 01:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Many gearheads will remember that the 1970s-era Dodge Dart's claim to fame was that its motor was so durable (though not necessarily powerful) that one could shoot bullets into the engine block.
The famous Chrysler Slant Six engines did, in fact, rank among the most durable engines in automotive history....that was not simply a claim, but a fact. It was originally designed and built to military specifications, and used in Dodge military trucks. That's why Slant Sixes and Checker Marathon Chevy Stove-Bolt sixes were used as so many taxicabs, with their grueling daily regimen.

After debuting it in Tokyo late last year, Toyota showed off its FCV fuel-cell concept vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show this week as it get ready to start sales "around 2015." The car has a 300-mile range and should be priced somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000.
FCV cars are, IMO, potentially a good idea. But the big problem, right now, is just the simple lack of infrastructure here in the U.S. to support them. In most places, an FCV owner can't just pull into a corner gas-station *****-nilly and expect to find compressed-hydrogen at some 20,000 PSI.
Old 01-18-14, 03:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

a hydrogen fuel cell is just a glorified battery, its still drives an electric motor....like a battery does