Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2013 Lexus GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 10:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lexus has always really struggled with wheels...
With the exception of a few decent ones I'd have to agree, the majority don't appeal to me or as it appears others too

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
If Lexus were smart those LED headlights would be standard across the GS range.
Originally Posted by yardie876
AMEN
Originally Posted by natnut
I've been saying that for pretty much forever.
I like where your head(s) are at gents. Hmm perhaps we need to start a petition thread
Old 01-19-14, 10:15 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen an Audi A6 in marketing material without their optional full LED headlights. And yet in almost every GS commercial and promotional material, the GS is equipped with the standard, far less impressive looking headlights. Even if the LED headlights were to be kept optional, no one should see them in marketing material. I didn't even know the A6 had non-LED headlights on lower trims until I looked at cars on dealer lots. It's the other way around with Lexus and the GS.

Sometimes I wonder who runs these companies because some of this is just common sense.
Old 01-19-14, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I have never seen an Audi A6 in marketing material without their optional full LED headlights. And yet in almost every GS commercial and promotional material, the GS is equipped with the standard, far less impressive looking headlights. Even if the LED headlights were to be kept optional, no one should see them in marketing material. I didn't even know the A6 had non-LED headlights on lower trims until I looked at cars on dealer lots. It's the other way around with Lexus and the GS.

Sometimes I wonder who runs these companies because some of this is just common sense.
This is just marketing 101. Of course you're going to advertise your vehicle with all the options, looking as great as it can possibly work. Nobody advertises the base model of their cars...except maybe Honda which I always found interesting.

Anyways, its common industry practice to show a well optioned car in advertisements....Lexus does it too. On the GS LED headlights are only available on the hybrid, showing a standard 350 with them would be false advertising because they are not available.
Old 01-19-14, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This is just marketing 101. Of course you're going to advertise your vehicle with all the options, looking as great as it can possibly work. Nobody advertises the base model of their cars...except maybe Honda which I always found interesting.

Anyways, its common industry practice to show a well optioned car in advertisements....Lexus does it too. On the GS LED headlights are only available on the hybrid, showing a standard 350 with them would be false advertising because they are not available.

Actually it's marketing 100.5, not 101. Many of those ads, especially the colorful ones depicted in magazines and automaker's brochures, have a small footnote/disclaimer under them (which can sometimes be hard to see) stating optional equipment and/or factory-approved accessories are shown. Those footnotes are obviously put there by the company lawyers, and, of course, while they aren't needed for people who are car-saavy like us who know the difference, the average not-so-sharp shopper might look at those ads and actually believe that they can get the premium top-level trim/options for the base price.
Old 01-19-14, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually it's marketing 100.5, not 101. Many of those ads, especially the colorful ones depicted in magazines and automaker's brochures, have a small footnote/disclaimer under them (which can sometimes be hard to see) stating optional equipment and/or factory-approved accessories are shown. Those footnotes are obviously put there by the company lawyers, and, of course, while they aren't needed for people who are car-saavy like us who know the difference, the average not-so-sharp shopper might look at those ads and actually believe that they can get the premium top-level trim/options for the base price.
my favorite are the TV ones that list "closed course, professional driver, do not try this at home"
Old 01-19-14, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
my favorite are the TV ones that list "closed course, professional driver, do not try this at home"
Nissan is airing a TV ad now where one of its small or mid-size SUVs (I don't remember which one) jumps off a ski-type ramp in the middle of city trafffic, sails through the air, and lands on top of a moving city-train. At the bottom of the screen there is a note in white letters saying: "Trucks are not meant to fly and land on trains." DUH.
Old 01-19-14, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nissan is airing a TV ad now where one of its small or mid-size SUVs (I don't remember which one) jumps off a ski-type ramp in the middle of city trafffic, sails through the air, and lands on top of a moving city-train. At the bottom of the screen there is a note in white letters saying: "Trucks are not meant to fly and land on trains." DUH.
lol yeah I know that one. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that message though. Too funny
Old 01-19-14, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just saw that ad and read the message lol
Old 01-19-14, 03:00 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why Lexus offers the GS450h WITHOUT the F-Sport is beyond me...
Old 01-19-14, 03:27 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Why Lexus offers the GS450h WITHOUT the F-Sport is beyond me...
It's worth noting that 450h F-Sport comes with DRS standard, plus you can get it with Night view with PCS, ACC (all-speed) in Midnight Blue with Ivory leather

GS250 or GS300h F-Sport do not have DRS even as an option.
Old 01-19-14, 04:04 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
It's worth noting that 450h F-Sport comes with DRS standard, plus you can get it with Night view with PCS, ACC (all-speed) in Midnight Blue with Ivory leather GS250 or GS300h F-Sport do not have DRS even as an option.
Wow DRS is a rarity here. I know the hybrid has AVS standard but I didn't know about DRS.
Old 01-19-14, 05:26 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Yes. Marketing 101 would dictate Lexus make LED headlights optional on all trims, and only show the LED optioned cars in TV and print ads.

If that's not something they want to do, Design 101 would dictate styling the non-LED model's headlights to actually look good.

With the LED headlights the GS is one of the better looking cars in its segment

Unfortunately due to design and marketing incompetence, most people are left with this:

Which is a very poor headlight design to start with. Car goes from agressive and confident to derp.
Old 01-19-14, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes. Marketing 101 would dictate Lexus make LED headlights optional on all trims, and only show the LED optioned cars in TV and print ads.

If that's not something they want to do, Design 101 would dictate styling the non-LED model's headlights to actually look good.
Marketing has nothing to do with how the models are packaged. As for design, I think the HID headlamps look great, one of my favorite aspects of the car. I like the LEDs better, but I'm 100% happy with the headlights i have, thanks.
Old 01-19-14, 05:37 PM
Hoovey689

ugh looking at and thinking of those LED headlights seriously blinds me. As I noted in my review I snapped a few pictures and checked out headlamp illumination. They aren't lying when they say "don't look towards the light!"
Old 01-19-14, 05:59 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Marketing has nothing to do with how the models are packaged. As for design, I think the HID headlamps look great, one of my favorite aspects of the car. I like the LEDs better, but I'm 100% happy with the headlights i have, thanks.
So what we have is a design, packaging, and marketing 101 fail.

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: 2013 Lexus GS450h