Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Employee Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 11:42 AM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Dealership employee was a retard, but John Hooper seems to be a bigger one.
How does he claim that a replacement ZL1 is not an equivalent one is mind numbing. Did he line it with gold?
The replacement that he was offered had 34% more miles (13,400 rather than 10,000), was a 2 owner car (so would become a 3 owner car when transferred to Hooper) which can drastically affect resale value, and most importantly, the car had been in an accident (of which the dealership neglected to inform Hooper). There's also more minor stuff like incorrect badges and different options/wheels/tires than Hooper's old car.

The mileage isn't a huge deal IMO, but the multiple owners and being in an accident are legitimate gripes, especially when the dealership told him it was one owner and didn't tell him about the accident.
Old 01-15-14, 11:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Bite the bullet, help your company's image and just get him a new ZL1 and call it a day
Old 01-15-14, 12:39 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not all service departments are open on Sunday. Some dealerships close down.
Exactly my point. The article mentioned the dealership was closed at the time the joyride occurred, so I was trying to figure out how you thought sitting in the waiting room would have prevented this.
Old 01-15-14, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689

Default Wrecked Camaro ZL1 owner getting new car thanks to GM and different dealer

Wrecked Camaro ZL1 owner getting new car thanks to GM and different dealer

Thanks to a little cooperation from General Motors and Berger Chevrolet, in Grand Rapids, MI, a 2013 Camaro ZL1 is being sent to First State. According to a post on the Camaro5 forums, John Hooper said, "I understand that it will be about two weeks before the insurance check is cut, the old car is paid off, the new car arrives, and a new purchase contract will be signed by my wife and I for the purchase of our new ZL1." Emphasis is his.

There aren't many other specifics on the forums, so we can't say whether it's the dealer's insurance or the Hooper's insurance that are picking up the tab for the wrecked Camaro. As for the newer Camaro, it seems like the Hoopers are being treated like any other purchaser rather than getting special treatment after what they've been through. Whether that's right or not, we'll let you decide. What is clear is that the Hoopers are getting what they wanted - a new ZL1. As car people, we should simply be happy about that.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/15/w...w-replacement/
Old 01-15-14, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Although who knows the behind the scenes of what it took to get GM to do this. Hats off that GM and a DIFFERENT DEALER are furnishing a new ZL1 for the Hoopers. First State Chevrolet sounds like a real piece..
Old 01-15-14, 07:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by piguy
The replacement that he was offered had 34% more miles (13,400 rather than 10,000), was a 2 owner car (so would become a 3 owner car when transferred to Hooper) which can drastically affect resale value, and most importantly, the car had been in an accident (of which the dealership neglected to inform Hooper). There's also more minor stuff like incorrect badges and different options/wheels/tires than Hooper's old car.

The mileage isn't a huge deal IMO, but the multiple owners and being in an accident are legitimate gripes, especially when the dealership told him it was one owner and didn't tell him about the accident.
my bad. That dealership is definitely asking for trouble by doing so.
Old 01-15-14, 07:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Exactly my point. The article mentioned the dealership was closed at the time the joyride occurred, so I was trying to figure out how you thought sitting in the waiting room would have prevented this.
even then, dealerships are huge, at least in TX. You wouldn't know whether your car is inside or out on ahoy ride.
Old 01-15-14, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

That's insane!! Reminds me of when Bell Lexus put 642 miles on my car "test driving" then told me they couldn't fix the problem they were trying to diagnose . The manager and SA were taking turns taking the car home at night trying to diagnose the problem. I can only imagine what they were doing. Makes me so angry. These people take liberties with our cars all of the time. We just dont know about it
Old 01-16-14, 05:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Although who knows the behind the scenes of what it took to get GM to do this. Hats off that GM and a DIFFERENT DEALER are furnishing a new ZL1 for the Hoopers. First State Chevrolet sounds like a real piece..
+1 glad it was resolved to the owners satisfaction
Old 01-16-14, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Note my reply to bitkahuna. I didn't see in the original article where it said it was Sunday and place was closed down. I just didn't catch it. That was my bad.
Old 01-16-14, 12:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, a sorry incident, but it could (probably) have been very simply avoided, if the owner would have taken a couple of precautions, just stayed with the car, watched what the technician did, and/or kept his or her eyes on things as much as possible.
I don't really see this as very practical--not many people have the luxury to stay at the dealer for hours (or, as in this case, over a period of days) to keep an eye on the technician.

But why is the dealer trying to negotiate a settlement? Wouldn't the dealer's insurance company pay out anyway? Why would the dealer be negotiating a payout, rather than the insurance company? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-16-14, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by piguy
The replacement that he was offered had 34% more miles (13,400 rather than 10,000),
You can't measure the mileage as a percentage--it had 3,400 more miles.

If it had been a car with 100 miles that was wrecked, and the dealer offered him a car with 200 miles on it, he can't argue that the value is impacted because it has 100% more mileage than the replaced car.
Old 01-16-14, 01:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't really see this as very practical--not many people have the luxury to stay at the dealer for hours (or, as in this case, over a period of days) to keep an eye on the technician.

But why is the dealer trying to negotiate a settlement? Wouldn't the dealer's insurance company pay out anyway? Why would the dealer be negotiating a payout, rather than the insurance company? It just doesn't make sense.
Exactly. And somewhere in the original thread, it was stated by Hooper that the car was in dealership possession since October.

I have one guess as to why the dealer, rather than his insurance, was fighting this. Perhaps the insurance rejected the claim because it was an inside job, rather than an accident or break-in and theft by an outside party.
Old 01-16-14, 02:15 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can't measure the mileage as a percentage--it had 3,400 more miles.

If it had been a car with 100 miles that was wrecked, and the dealer offered him a car with 200 miles on it, he can't argue that the value is impacted because it has 100% more mileage than the replaced car.
Yeah I agree with you, which is why in the next paragraph I said I didn't think the mileage was a big deal. I just wrote it as a read it in an article, didn't both re-writing it.
Old 01-17-14, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/15/w...w-replacement/
Well done….Not sure how anyone can blame the owner lol

Quick Reply: Dealership Employee Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1