Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 12-15-14, 03:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Car Value
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Consumer Reports' best new-car value is......

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Another BS article by CR. How does a Civic SI get added to a sports car category?
I agree that it's a borderline classification at best. Insurance companies used to charge sports-car premiums for the CRX Si, mostly because of the two seats and its sporting nature (they generally don't like two-seaters). But you have a point....the Civic Si is not a classic two-seater. It does, though, tend to be driven by young, inexperienced, and sometimes aggressive drivers...insurance companies don't like them, either.

And how do cars with much lower overall scores get praised for higher value.
Probably by the age-old comparison of what you get vs. actual cost. You can spend 300K or more for a Rolls or Maybach...the epitome of luxury and plushness. But, in the end, it's just an automobile, and gets you, from Point A to Point B, just like a 15K Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio.

What a terrible magazine.
Well, a lot of people have depended on it for years. I have found most (though not all) of what they say to be accurate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-13 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 10:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

CR doesn't just review cars though, they review everything from Toasters and Toothpaste to Insurance and Ice-Makers. Whether people agree with their findings or not, it's nice to have an organization that can review most anything an individual can purchase.

My grandfather renews my subscription to CR once a year as a gift, but I never see the magazines because my father takes them
Old 12-21-13, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
CR doesn't just review cars though, they review everything from Toasters and Toothpaste to Insurance and Ice-Makers. Whether people agree with their findings or not, it's nice to have an organization that can review most anything an individual can purchase.
A significant part of CR's space in each monthly issue, though, is about vehicles, vehicle-comparisons, or auto-related products. There is also one or more of the Annual New-Car-Issues each year, which deal only with vehicles and buying/selling them....nothing else. That, of course, can't be said for any other products......certainly not toasters and toothpaste.

My grandfather renews my subscription to CR once a year as a gift, but I never see the magazines because my father takes them

Have him buy you a CR on-line subscription. It's a different account (and a different fee) than CR's traditional paper-magazines. With CR, one account/subsciption, unfortunately, does NOT include the other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 12:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A significant part of CR's space in each monthly issue, though, is about vehicles, vehicle-comparisons, or auto-related products. There is also one or more of the Annual New-Car-Issues each year, which deal only with vehicles and buying/selling them....nothing else. That, of course, can't be said for any other products......certainly not toasters and toothpaste.

Have him buy you a CR on-line subscription. It's a different account (and a different fee) than CR's traditional paper-magazines. With CR, one account/subsciption, unfortunately, does NOT include the other.
I wouldn't call 5-6 pages significant in relation to how many pages per magazine, but it's almost always a ranking page, usually a 4-6 car comparison and some "extra" vehicle test.

My favorite issue is of course always the April issue which is 100% about cars. CR also make more detailed buyers/review guides that can be purchased year round (usually a revised one every 3 months). They also do a buying guide for Tech and Electronics. Suffice to say they are very robust
Old 12-21-13, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I wouldn't call 5-6 pages significant in relation to how many pages per magazine,
It's usually more than just 5-6 auto-related pages now....closer to 8 or 10.