Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 04:58 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW electronics ....
Old 06-12-17, 02:19 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I feel like these rumors of the car being auto-only are just based on the spy shots (see page 67) of the interior with the BMW auto shifter. Early on the engineers did say the idea was to stay with a RWD Supra and also that they were not intending to chase the Nissan GTR's performance numbers.

AWD might come in the form of electric motors at the front wheels if that rumor proves to be true but we'll have to wait and see.

If the MKV Supra truly is released as an auto-only model then it would become considerably less interesting. I understand why Nissan did it with the R35 but it's telling when at least some R35 GTR owners begin to seek out R32's, R33's and R34's because of how different the driving experience is. Of course the R35 is a big numbers car now and a manual would only slow it down.

The Supra on the other hand seems to have been resurrected not with the goal of blowing away $100k+ supercars but with the goal of being an enjoyable high powered driver-oriented RWD sports car with a nod to some new technologies that weren't available in the 1990's when the MKIV was designed.
Old 06-14-17, 12:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I had better get my MKIV Supra before the prices go up again. After that I will save for one of these and the LC500/LC-F.
Old 06-14-17, 12:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm excited to see a new Supra but they could bring back the MKIV with an updated interior, safety features, and technology with more horsepower and I would buy it. There is such a huge demand for MKIV's that it may sell decently with a more powerful up to date 2JZ or even a new engine with comparable potential.

Of course that would never happen. I would have liked to see the Supra based off of the new LC500 kind of like how the MKIV and SC300/Soarer were related back in the day. I hope it can be a true competitor to the GTR and Corvette.
Old 06-14-17, 03:37 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

it better not be priced just under a bmw.

that's too expensive.

so all the poor folks will have to settle for the gt86
Old 06-14-17, 07:36 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Kira X
I had better get my MKIV Supra before the prices go up again. After that I will save for one of these and the LC500/LC-F.
That or GTE manual swap your SC, Kira
Old 06-14-17, 09:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm excited to see a new Supra but they could bring back the MKIV with an updated interior, safety features, and technology with more horsepower and I would buy it. There is such a huge demand for MKIV's that it may sell decently with a more powerful up to date 2JZ or even a new engine with comparable potential.

Of course that would never happen. I would have liked to see the Supra based off of the new LC500 kind of like how the MKIV and SC300/Soarer were related back in the day. I hope it can be a true competitor to the GTR and Corvette.
I really do get where you are coming from, I don't think GM really passed the Mark IV Supra in terms of technology, styling, interior appointments, curb weight(1993 ZR1 was heavier than the Toyota Supra Turbo) and build quality until they introduced the C7 Corvette. There was so much damn untapped potential from the factory in terms of the power output of the 2JZ-GTE engine, the aftermarket for that engine is simply ridiculous, 600-700whp is possible with the stock crank, rods, pistons, cams, valves, etc.
Old 06-15-17, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Lexus is trying to shed the "it's a fancier toyota' image. Using the LC platform on the Supra wouldn't suffice. Besides, its not like Toyota has a performance engine they can shove in the Supra and they are not about to shove the 3.5L TT from the LS in there.
Old 06-15-17, 10:53 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by situman
Lexus is trying to shed the "it's a fancier toyota' image. Using the LC platform on the Supra wouldn't suffice. Besides, its not like Toyota has a performance engine they can shove in the Supra and they are not about to shove the 3.5L TT from the LS in there.
Tada the new designer of the MKV variant of the BMW shared platform has said on the record that the new Supra will not chase the Nissan R35 GTR's numbers and given the lack of a $90k+ platform for it I assume it was intended to be more affordable than a GTR. It will likely chase the front engine C7 Corvette as one of its competitors but it's not chasing $100k+ supercars at least in price.

And there is still the possibility that the new 3.5L TT V6 in the new Lexus LS will be the engine they choose to shove into the Supra MKV. They did the same thing in the 90's by debuting the 2JZGTE in the 1991 Aristo sedan (as we all know, a GS300 with a Supra engine) and only two years later debuting the new Supra with that same turbocharged engine. Although in those days the reason was in order to legally qualify the Aristo/GS touring car chassis for JGTC racing with that engine. Still... if it fits the MKV/Z4 engine bay they *could* do the same thing today concerning the shared engine.

But whatever they are powering it with there will be a hybrid version. Hopefully with a KERS F1 style system similar to what a prototype GT86 was tested with-- I can dream.

Even so, they'd better keep a manual transmission on offer. It is a Supra after all.
Old 06-16-17, 09:05 AM
Restomod
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just wish it was a GT instead of a 2 seater.
Old 06-16-17, 07:35 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....hope we don't see one of those BMW joy-stick shifters. It's bad enough that I'll have a similar one in my upcoming Lacrosse LOL.
The Lacrosse shifter is a study in bad design. The BMW auto and DCT shifter, however, are pretty well executed.

Originally Posted by GSteg
So the electronics will BMW's? I'll pass....

This could be the most "unreliable" Toyota ever.
It's not the BMW electronics that are "unreliable", it's everything else
Old 06-26-17, 11:20 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Toyota Supra MKV Engine Prediction

What engine will the Toyota Supra MKV get? If rumors are true, can it possibly get a BMW engine?

The MKIV had a 2JZ engine, shared with the IS300, GS300, and SC300.
Based on this pattern, if we look at the current Lexus models RC-F, GS-F, and LC 500, is it possible that the MKV will get the 2UR engine?
Or, will it get the 2GR engine like the current IS350?

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-17, 11:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Past Toyota management HATES WITH A ****ING PASSION sports cars. Hence we have the death of the Celica, the death of the high revving 2ZZ-GE, death of the Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS, getting back a few years, no replacement for the world beating Supra.

I'd also argue that even recent past management, ie those in charge around 2010-12, hated sports cars as well, thus why we ended up with the RWD Subie powered FRZ, GT-86, whatever the **** you want to call that ugly coupe with a crap economy car engine. I still think those current managers are in power, as if the enthusiast managers were in charege, we'd see a turbo Subaru motor mounted in the FRZ, GT-86 chassis. This same group of lame *** thinkers is still in charge of the "new Supra" platform, that is shared with BMW, if history is any indication, they will leave engine development up to BMW, who will build us some magnificently performing piece of **** motor that has catastrophic failure somewhere just outside of warranty, which is the BMW business model, and hopefully Toyota customers will sue the **** out of Toyota and get massive cash rewards. I see this happening because BMW engineers theirs cars to fail just outside of warranty.
Old 06-27-17, 12:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

LS500 3.5L TT V6 perhaps
Old 06-27-17, 04:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Whatever it is - i will be shocked if BMW allows the Supra to have a better engine than the current M3/4.

So either BMW inline6 from current 340i or new Lexus v6TT.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1