Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 02:30 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the proportions, while I do think this design is the evolution of the FT-1 and the next supra. It doesn't seem to be the same proportions as the old Supra. If this came car remains the same into production, my guess is this car will be a 2 seater while both the GT86 and old Supra was a 2+2. To me, this is the biggest difference when you compare the proportions of the new supra design to the old MK4.

I would have preferred if it were a 2+2 IMO but currently it looks more like a Z4 than an actual supra.

Old 12-04-16, 02:55 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Syan48306
Regarding the proportions, while I do think this design is the evolution of the FT-1 and the next supra. It doesn't seem to be the same proportions as the old Supra. If this came car remains the same into production, my guess is this car will be a 2 seater while both the GT86 and old Supra was a 2+2. To me, this is the biggest difference when you compare the proportions of the new supra design to the old MK4.

I would have preferred if it were a 2+2 IMO but currently it looks more like a Z4 than an actual supra.
When I was saying proportions I mean the overall shape and length. To be fair a lot of sports cars have this similar look. The long hood to short deck. The design team also said the 2000GT influenced this car as well.

Looks can be deceiving, the JMD FD RX7 has "backseats" if you will. Personally I don't care if its a 2 seater or 2+2. I really don't use the back seats on my Supra for anything.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 12-04-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 05:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Any one know when the Supra will be introduced ?
I had hopes it would be in Detroit.

Hopefully the new V6 TT from the LS will be put in the Supra and dialed up to 450-500hp and over 500 lb-ft torque.
Really looking forward to this car.....
Old 01-10-17, 06:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

damn this thing looks tiny.

the test driver in the last few posts is practically wearing the camo car.
Old 01-11-17, 09:15 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only does the car look tiny, but oh boy look at those tires.
Old 01-11-17, 11:47 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Looks proportional too me. Even people on Supraforums and Supra owners club thought the latest spy shots look proportional to the MKIV and is starting to look closer to the FT1.

I think the camo makes it look tiny. I counted pixels and wheels look like they're 18s (the brake discs look huge). With this stack up, the wheelbase looks a few (2-3) inches shorter than the MKIV supra.
Old 01-11-17, 11:53 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

The camo car most defintely have smaller wheels than what the body was designed for. I expect 19's or 20's on the actual car. Just look how big the wheels are on the concept FT-1. It's almost as if they stuck 18" wheels on the FT1 and that's why they have such a big gap.

I also fully expect them to use the 3.5L TT found in the LS in the new Supra. Why use a inline 6 from BMW when you just released a twin turbo pushing 415HP? A 3200lb car with 415hp is going to be quick enough to be fun.

Old 01-11-17, 12:47 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Umm, I don't know but I think this camo car we are seeing is not the Toyota but the BMW counter part... looks very BMW Z4-ish...
Old 01-25-17, 11:39 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Latest Rumors

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...formance-brand

Toyota Supra to be launched under Gazoo performance brand

Toyota's 2018 hybrid sports car will be the halo product of its newly launched performance division; more Gazoo hybrids will come later.

Toyota will launch its 2018 Supra under the name of its newly launched road performance arm, Gazoo.

The boss of Gazoo Racing, Koei Saga, told Autocar at the Monte Carlo Rally, where Toyota was fielding its new Yaris WRC cars, that producing such a halo hybrid model was a 'dream' of his. He also suggested that Gazoo’s road car team was already making use of the brand’s racing hybrid powertrain technology.

Saga refrained from revealing what Gazoo’s range-topping model would be, but earlier inside information has suggested that the Supra was already planned to be launched under the Gazoo monker. Whether or not this will be as the Gazoo Supra or Toyota Supra Gazoo isn't yet known.

Saga suggested that more hybrid Gazoo models were on the cards in the future by emphasising the importance of hybrid powertrains to his division. He cited Gazoo Racing’s hybrid motorsport models, which include its World Endurance Championship LMP1 racer and hybrid-V8 Prius that competes in Japan’s Super GT 300 class.

The first production Gazoo model to be sold in Europe will be a hot version of the Yaris hatchback. Set to be revealed at the Geneva motor show in March, it is expected to have a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that’ll produce more than 210bhp. The car will be available as a three-door only.

Saga hinted that a plan to launch more roadgoing Gazoo models in Europe after this was already in place. When asked if he wanted a full range of Gazoo models to be produced for the market, he said “of course”.

Old 01-25-17, 12:00 PM
redspencer
OG Member

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/all...ht-winter.html

Here's a few new spy shots of the camo car being tested in cold weather.

Old 01-25-17, 12:33 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...formance-brandToyota Supra to be launched under Gazoo performance brand

Toyota's 2018 hybrid sports car will be the halo product of its newly launched performance division; more Gazoo hybrids will come later.

Toyota will launch its 2018 Supra under the name of its newly launched road performance arm, Gazoo.

The boss of Gazoo Racing, Koei Saga, told Autocar at the Monte Carlo Rally, where Toyota was fielding its new Yaris WRC cars, that producing such a halo hybrid model was a 'dream' of his. He also suggested that Gazoo’s road car team was already making use of the brand’s racing hybrid powertrain technology.

Saga refrained from revealing what Gazoo’s range-topping model would be, but earlier inside information has suggested that the Supra was already planned to be launched under the Gazoo monker. Whether or not this will be as the Gazoo Supra or Toyota Supra Gazoo isn't yet known.

Saga suggested that more hybrid Gazoo models were on the cards in the future by emphasising the importance of hybrid powertrains to his division. He cited Gazoo Racing’s hybrid motorsport models, which include its World Endurance Championship LMP1 racer and hybrid-V8 Prius that competes in Japan’s Super GT 300 class.

The first production Gazoo model to be sold in Europe will be a hot version of the Yaris hatchback. Set to be revealed at the Geneva motor show in March, it is expected to have a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that’ll produce more than 210bhp. The car will be available as a three-door only.

Saga hinted that a plan to launch more roadgoing Gazoo models in Europe after this was already in place. When asked if he wanted a full range of Gazoo models to be produced for the market, he said “of course”.

i wasnt expecting that. so what would the final name be?

Toyota Gazoo Racing Supra? Toyota GR Supra?
GR Toyota Supra?
Toyota Supra GR?

that's interesting it's not simply Toyota Supra
Old 01-27-17, 11:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
i wasnt expecting that. so what would the final name be?

Toyota Gazoo Racing Supra? Toyota GR Supra?
GR Toyota Supra?
Toyota Supra GR?

that's interesting it's not simply Toyota Supra
My guess would be Toyota Supra GR.
Old 01-30-17, 10:15 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Here's some more renderings posted on SupraMKV forums. I really think these are pretty close to the final versions that we are going to see. The only difference might be a rear brake air intake around the doors that the camo car looks to be hiding behind one of those body panels. Otherwise, that's one good looking car. Hopefully the final production car is at least this good looking or better.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/our-...enderings.574/

Old 03-20-17, 11:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Haven't seen any other update. There hasn't been any interior spy shots.

Here's one from auto guide that is up close.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-details.html

Spy photographers have managed to get up close and personal with the new Toyota Supra.

Unfortunately the Supra is still wearing plenty of camouflage, but this time we get detailed photos of the tail lights that slightly resemble the previous Supra’s units with round housings. It’s still hard to pick out details on the upcoming sports car, but we will finally get the full picture when it bows at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show this October. Riding on a platform that’s the result of a collaboration between BMW and Toyota, the new Supra will only be offered as a coupe while the BMW Z5 will be a convertible.It’s still unclear what powertrain Toyota will use on its Supra, but it’s possible the Japanese automaker will turn to BMW’s turbocharged engines. If not, expect to see a turbocharged V6 from Toyota that may be further boosted with electrification.
Old 05-15-17, 10:06 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Latest renders of the potential Supra:

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1