Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 02:19 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
370Z or a new Z car may not be returning from some reports. They did kill the Z car for a while but brought it back, it was a lower end car that they brought back compared to the last 300zx tt. I still give Nissan credit when it comes to sports cars, they quickly brought back the GTR which is on a higher level then the last one and still have a Infiniti coupe.
Nissan should put the VR30 TT from Infinity into a new Z with manual option those would do well I believe. Anyway back to Toyota the wait continues until Geneva.
Old 02-13-18, 02:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
the specs look good on paper. less than 3300 lbs curb weight. quick 0-60 times. Im sure toyota thought of this, but the more I think about it, it seems they did not market this car us people like us, and i also know we are only a small fraction of car buyers. Everything discussed in this thread, imo, I think Toyota may have already known--that the new MKV supra would not be initially accepted or liked by toyota loyalists and enthusiasts. I'm sure Toyota knew this and all i know is this better be a super kickass handling, jaw dropping, neck breaking car and better have some great reviews for us toyolex owner car guys to even consider.
Reports are that Akio test drove the car and was not pleased with the handling....hopefully its been fixed.

i was hoping to replace my BRZ with this Supra but its not looking good - will depend on pricing, how it looks, and if they ever put a manual in it. The M240i has same engine with 6MT, it should be a no brainer! Its not like they have to go and develop it.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-13-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 03:20 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Disappointing, but will stay tuned for the live unveiling.
Old 02-13-18, 04:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone speculate which BMW underpinnings might be sitting under the Toyota body? Would it be the 3 series or the more likely 2 series? The M240i gets some nice reviews from testers, the 3 series is sort of a shoulder shrug but still positive. The other thing to remember is that BMW has been quite conservative in the past about its horsepower ratings and dyno tests prove this. The wheel hp is often closer to the crank horsepower, which means that the engine itself is putting out far more than what the manufacturer states.

It is quite conceivable that the B58 that may be sitting under the Toyota's hood is closer to about 375 hp and given the aftermarket support for that engine already, it is very possible that it can be pumped up to 400+ hp quite easily. But yeah, maybe they should have called this the Celica or something and reserved the Supra name for a 500 hp all out coupe. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by MattyG; 02-13-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 04:04 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Reports are that Akio test drove the car and was not pleased with the handling....hopefully its been fixed.

i was hoping to replace my BRZ with this Supra but its not looking good - will depend on pricing, how it looks, and if they ever put a manual in it. The M240i has same engine with 6MT, it should be a no brainer! Its not like they have to go and develop it.
I'm glad Akio is test driving it
Old 02-13-18, 04:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by UDel
That is totally lame and disappointing, so in 20 years since the Supra left the US market the new one has gained only 15hp and they need to use a BMW engine, meanwhile a Corvette has 460hp standard, base 911 has over 350hp, 370Z has 350hp, 8 cylinder Mustang and Camaro have over 400hp, M3 has over 400hp. Don't call this a Supra, it now has almost the least hp in class. There is no way 335hp in a car around 3300lbs is going to do 0-60 in 3.8 sec either. Some of the illustrations on the styling look really bad, don't know if they are artist renditions or accurate.
i remember other BMW engines being underrated if i remember correctly, so the 335hp and/or overboost may also be underrated

Last edited by jadu; 02-13-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 06:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

i remember other BMW engines being underrated if i remember correctly, so the 335hp and/or overboost may also be underrated
There is no question it will be FAST and also will have aftermarket support and tuning options available.
The M240i was tested in low 4s, so the Supra can realistically do mid to high 3s.

The other big positive is its low weight and small dimensions.
With a maual it would save another 100-200lbs.
Old 02-13-18, 09:11 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Jesus Christ people, calm down. There's a lot of crying and hate and we still don't even know real facts on the car, only rumors and speculations... stop saying you are disappointed with the car or that it should not disgrace the name "Supra" because it's a BMW (collaboration) and blah blah, at least wait until it is revealed and know what we really are getting and then go cry and complain if it is not something worthy to be a Supra "successor". In the mean time, this teaser pic got me a bit excited since I see a lot of resemblance of the FT1 concept (and those complaining about the spoiler, did you forget the big *** spoiler in the Supra? I'm pretty sure not all models will come with the spoiler, just some special edition "race" option or whatnot) I won't get my hopes too high so I'm not disappointed if anything but so far I don't think it's going to be that bad... my biggest fear is what the price tag is really going to be
Old 02-14-18, 07:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm glad Akio is test driving it
He also test drove the RCF. Look at that mess.
Old 02-14-18, 07:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Jesus Christ people, calm down. There's a lot of crying and hate and we still don't even know real facts on the car, only rumors and speculations... stop saying you are disappointed with the car or that it should not disgrace the name "Supra" because it's a BMW (collaboration) and blah blah, at least wait until it is revealed and know what we really are getting and then go cry and complain if it is not something worthy to be a Supra "successor". In the mean time, this teaser pic got me a bit excited since I see a lot of resemblance of the FT1 concept (and those complaining about the spoiler, did you forget the big *** spoiler in the Supra? I'm pretty sure not all models will come with the spoiler, just some special edition "race" option or whatnot) I won't get my hopes too high so I'm not disappointed if anything but so far I don't think it's going to be that bad... my biggest fear is what the price tag is really going to be

With regards to the pricing...historically speaking, it will be high. If the crapbox GT86 with a dinky 200hp engine can go into the low $30's with a Tomtom Nav, you can imagine what this thing will cost with BMW interior and parts.
Old 02-14-18, 08:37 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by situman
He also test drove the RCF. Look at that mess.
i like the RC-F, a lot. it'll probably be my next car if i dont have any more kids. i agree, it's not for everyone but I'm sure the naturally aspirated 305 ci V8 will outlast and outlive anything german and/or turbo and be easier to maintain too
Old 02-14-18, 09:00 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure the naturally aspirated 305 ci V8 will outlast and outlive anything german and/or turbo and be easier to maintain too
I wish more people would recognize this. The F cars are excellent long term cars and/or used car steals. I'll be getting a few myself. Perhaps I/GS-F for a bit, then step into LC500. Each with over 100k on the clock, no worries at all. I wouldn't touch a German turbo 100k-mile nightmare with a 10-foot pole.

And their respective resale values absolutely reflect this. Used IS-F's sell for double their German counterparts on the used market with equivalent miles/years/MSRP's.

If this "Supra" really does sell with a Toyota badge, you better believe it will bring down their fleet reliability/resale average.
Old 02-14-18, 01:38 PM
situman
Pole Position

i like the RC-F, a lot. it'll probably be my next car if i dont have any more kids. i agree, it's not for everyone but I'm sure the naturally aspirated 305 ci V8 will outlast and outlive anything german and/or turbo and be easier to maintain too
My point was the thing handled poorly and not what it should be, despite him test driving the thing. The engine outlasting german engines is a given.
Old 02-14-18, 02:42 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They'll need to price this carefully. The Z4 six cylinder will probably follow precedent and start at $60K, so the Supra will need to start in the high $40K range. Maybe there's more to this, possibly future plug in hybrids in which case BMW would use Toyota's hybrid technology and expertise. BMW's chassis and handling dynamics are possibly what Toyota was after, not to mention the drivetrain.
Old 02-14-18, 03:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Maybe there's more to this, possibly future plug in hybrids in which case BMW would use Toyota's hybrid technology and expertise. BMW's chassis and handling dynamics are possibly what Toyota was after, not to mention the drivetrain.
Which is weird since Toyota is not a leader in PHEV. Perhaps BMW is trying to get Toyota's Solid State battery secrets (SSB will be big around 2020+).

LFA, Le Mans TS050 efforts, LC500.. they can definitely make a good handling vehicle. Maybe they just got cheap or rather just lazy and figured they'd pay to have it done rather than put the R&D themselves. Despite reliability concerns, BMW which has become soft of late (E60 - F10 for ex.), makes desirable powertrains. Who knows, maybe if this sports car does well, a Mark VI will be more 'Toyota' the second time around. Should be a good coupe overall, just lacking in purists hearts.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1