Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 11:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a bmw interior in a flagship toyota sports car... dat ain't right.
With a big stupid touchscreen that looks like a tablet was glued over the vents.
Old 08-10-17, 11:30 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny101
Don't worry, it's a fake bumper just there for testing purpose. The same was done with earlier LFA prototypes.
Thank you for calming my nerves! Phew.
Old 08-10-17, 01:07 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny101
By the time this thing hits showrooms floor the S55 will be old news. BMW is already working on a update called the S58 as reported by BMWblog.
Exactly, the S58 will be even more powerful. Anyway, even if they don't let Toyota have the S55, BMW's specialty is making potent I6's. Toyota would be lucky to have a BMW I6 in the Supra.
Old 08-10-17, 03:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Exactly, the S58 will be even more powerful. Anyway, even if they don't let Toyota have the S55, BMW's specialty is making potent I6's. Toyota would be lucky to have a BMW I6 in the Supra.
I don't think owners are going to feel lucky having a BMW I6 in the Supra, BMW may specialize in making potent inline 6's but they don't specialize in making reliable inline sixes, especially the turbo's. BMW turbo sixes have been having a lot of problems. Toyota made a much more reliable inline 6 in the last Supra that was still reliable after tuning it for a lot more power.
Old 08-10-17, 03:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think owners are going to feel lucky having a BMW I6 in the Supra, BMW may specialize in making potent inline 6's but they don't specialize in making reliable inline sixes, especially the turbo's. BMW turbo sixes have been having a lot of problems. Toyota made a much more reliable inline 6 in the last Supra that was still reliable after tuning it for a lot more power.
Not sure where you are getting this info?

The turbo inline 6s (N54, N55, B58) have been super reliable.
In fact there is a huge amount of them that are tuned to make 400-500hp on stock internals with no issues.

These engines are used in hundreds of thousands of cars including X5, X6, 2,3,4series etc.

Are they as reliable as a 2JZ? NO
But that engine was one of a kind and way overengineered for that time.
Old 08-10-17, 04:13 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got so much flak for saying Toyota really doesn't have the ability or purposely chooses not to develop performance engines and frankly this is proof.

Kind of sad that Toyota has to rely on a BMW engine for such an iconic car.

Toyota is too wrapped up developing Hybrids and Dynamic Force Engines that are all about fuel economy and thermal efficiency. Just watch as every dynamic force engine that gets paraded out will all be about "efficiency."

Unfortunately this doesn't bode well for Lexus. I'm not sure what Lexus' strategy is, but if they had one, a decent one not all wrapped in thermal efficiency, fuel economy, and undersquare, long-stroke, low RPM engines, we would have seen it front and center in the LS 500, but that ship has sailed.
Old 08-10-17, 05:22 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you are mistaking the I6's with the I4's which had some growing pains. While the BMW V8s have some problems as well, the I6s have and always will be the BMW specialty. They are solid and even with FI, they are proving to be potent and tunable. Remember, the 2JZ-GTE engine only made 320hp 315 lb-ft here in the US. The BMW B58 I6 makes 335hp 369 lb-ft. The S58 is expected to have 450hp, but some people are saying it will be closer to 500hp. Ether way, it will be significantly more powerful than the 2JZ-GTE. Is the B58/S58 tunable to 1000hp? Who knows, but that's not Toyota's goal, it never was, and it's unrealistic for them to cater to a tiny group of people who want to be able to tune to 1000hp because Toyota does not make a good FI high performance engine. They make V8s and honestly, those are getting long in the tooth and they don't have the tunability of a I6 with forced induction.
Old 08-11-17, 09:01 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm wondering if this thing is ever going to come. Toyota takes forever to come out with a new car. The LC500 came out like five years after the LF-LC was unveiled.
Old 08-12-17, 09:06 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard there will be nomanual transmission available for the new Supra? Why, Toyota, why?
Old 08-12-17, 09:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
I heard there will be nomanual transmission available for the new Supra? Why, Toyota, why?
I agree it does suck that there may not be a true manual option but a lot of manufacturers moving away from conventional manual transmissions. R35 did well on sales and aftermarket support despite not having a true manual setup.
Old 08-13-17, 05:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoppean
I think the possible 4cyl is much worse news. A BMW 6 cylinder only making 335hp being the top engine is a very close disappointment. 20 years and it gets a whopping 15 more hp?
Old 08-13-17, 07:54 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the possible 4cyl is much worse news. A BMW 6 cylinder only making 335hp being the top engine is a very close disappointment. 20 years and it gets a whopping 15 more hp?
We don't agree on much Udel but I'm with you on this if in fact that is the final HP number it is somewhat disappointing unless the price point of this car is ridiculously lower than everyone expects.
Old 08-14-17, 04:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Past Toyota management HATES WITH A ****ING PASSION sports cars. Hence we have the death of the Celica, the death of the high revving 2ZZ-GE, death of the Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS, getting back a few years, no replacement for the world beating Supra.

I'd also argue that even recent past management, ie those in charge around 2010-12, hated sports cars as well, thus why we ended up with the RWD Subie powered FRZ, GT-86, whatever the **** you want to call that ugly coupe with a crap economy car engine. I still think those current managers are in power, as if the enthusiast managers were in charege, we'd see a turbo Subaru motor mounted in the FRZ, GT-86 chassis. This same group of lame *** thinkers is still in charge of the "new Supra" platform, that is shared with BMW, if history is any indication, they will leave engine development up to BMW, who will build us some magnificently performing piece of **** motor that has catastrophic failure somewhere just outside of warranty, which is the BMW business model, and hopefully Toyota customers will sue the **** out of Toyota and get massive cash rewards. I see this happening because BMW engineers theirs cars to fail just outside of warranty.
LMFAO! Thats quite a rant!
Old 08-14-17, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Past Toyota management HATES WITH A ****ING PASSION sports cars. ... [much more rant deleted lol]
yes but how do you really feel?

about the new supra and engine... if it has a bmw engine it i'd consider it a complete sell-out by toyota unless they're looking to buy bmw.

i mean why buy a supra which is just a rebadged bmw?
Old 08-14-17, 06:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

imagine how he would feel when he looks at Hondas record on sportscars for the past 15 years, which is practically non existent

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1