Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bmw m3 & m4 reveal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Have you ever driven one? My guess is no. Driving it on the street isn't enough...you need to drive one on a track. I have...its not propaganda.
Agreed….he also bashed my C63 black series review and basically called it a P.O.S The M3/M4 have earned their places among car enthusiasts as some of the best cars available at any price.

How can anyone hate on them?

Old 12-11-13, 06:58 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12

Should I add " the side profile minus the front overhang"?
Old 12-11-13, 07:04 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever driven one? My guess is no. Driving it on the street isn't enough...you need to drive one on a track. I have...its not propaganda.
I bet it even beat Corvette Z06 "Save the up coming C7 Z06" for the money-performance ratio. It will smoke Mustang Supersnake in a drag race, and drive more superbly than Porsche Cayman S. Everyone defines performance differently.
Old 12-11-13, 07:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Agreed….he also bashed my C63 black series review and basically called it a P.O.S The M3/M4 have earned their places among car enthusiasts as some of the best cars available at any price.

How can anyone hate on them?
I'm not hating on them, just saying for $80,000 there are many other cars I'd rather have, i.e. CLS550, 550i, Jag F-type, Jag XJ, Stingray vette, Audi S7, Audi A8, Tesla Model S, Land Rover Range Rover etc...

If the M3 costs $80k, it's highway robbery IMO.
Old 12-11-13, 08:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I'm not hating on them, just saying for $80,000 there are many other cars I'd rather have, i.e. CLS550, 550i, Jag F-type, Jag XJ, Stingray vette, Audi S7, Audi A8, Tesla Model S, Land Rover Range Rover etc...

80k would be fully loaded - base is about 65-67k
Even E92 could be optioned to about 80k

Ur comparing to cars from a different class completely.
Most of those are luxury sedans that cant even come close to the performance level of an M3.

Jag Ftype - even V6 will run u much more than 80k
C7 vette - this is a dedicated sports car not a daily driver like M3/4
Old 12-11-13, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Those are just completely different types of cars. I personally would not purchase an M3, just because its not the sort of car I would purchase and own. I'd rather have a CLS, Jag XJ, Audi A8, etc...those types of cars just suit me better. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate what an M3 is though.

Just because something doesn't suit you doesn't mean its "highway robbery". I know plenty of people who would rather have an M3 over an Audi A8...does that mean the A8 is "highway robbery"?

You have to learn to leave your bias out of it and understand that not every car is designed to appeal to you.
Old 12-11-13, 08:36 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Those are just completely different types of cars. I personally would not purchase an M3, just because its not the sort of car I would purchase and own. I'd rather have a CLS, Jag XJ, Audi A8, etc...those types of cars just suit me better. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate what an M3 is though.

Just because something doesn't suit you doesn't mean its "highway robbery". I know plenty of people who would rather have an M3 over an Audi A8...does that mean the A8 is "highway robbery"?

You have to learn to leave your bias out of it and understand that not every car is designed to appeal to you.
Right so if I take a shopping cart and list it for $80,000, it obviously wouldn't suit you but it isn't highway robbery?

Sure...
Old 12-11-13, 08:38 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomDac
As a former m3 owner (2004 e46 convertible) I for one am glad to see BMW going back to their 6 cylinders. The S54 inline 6 that was in the e46 m cars was absolutely sublime. 3.2 liter naturally aspirated that produced 333 hp and still got 25 mpg if you didn't flog it all the time.

If it were me, Id wait 4 or 5 years and pick up a CPO lease return. M4... Convertible, of course. ;-)
The thing is the new car isn't an NA inline 6, so it will not behave the same as the S54 did - FI is a whole different animal. Personally, I would have preferred to see another small displacement NA V8 - but that's just mean. If the powerband of this new engine is nice and linear up to the stated revs, it'll be just fine - assuming turbo lag is minimal.

Regarding CPO, I bet you'll be able to pick up CPO'd cars after the first year! I remember seeing CPO E9X M3s on the lots within the first model year - not necessarily a bad thing though if you're looking to pick on up!
Old 12-11-13, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right so if I take a shopping cart and list it for $80,000, it obviously wouldn't suit you but it isn't highway robbery?

Sure...
Thats just a ridiculous statement. Why is a Jaguar F-Type worth $80,000 but an M3 is not? The only answer is because you like the F-Type and have a bias against the M3. Ask any non-biased professional driver, auto journalist, or true non biased enthusiast which car is the better performer, the F-Type or an M3 and it will be an easy decision. Nobody who compares an M3 with a Jag XJ or a Range Rover knows anything about cars. Thats just insane lol.

Give us a factual description of why an M3 is a "shopping cart".

You've never driven either car so you have no basis to prefer one over the other.
Old 12-11-13, 09:18 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Thats just a ridiculous statement. Why is a Jaguar F-Type worth $80,000 but an M3 is not? The only answer is because you like the F-Type and have a bias against the M3. Ask any non-biased professional driver, auto journalist, or true non biased enthusiast which car is the better performer, the F-Type or an M3 and it will be an easy decision. Nobody who compares an M3 with a Jag XJ or a Range Rover knows anything about cars. Thats just insane lol.

Give us a factual description of why an M3 is a "shopping cart".

You've never driven either car so you have no basis to prefer one over the other.
These are probably two good reasons.

And I didn't say the M3 was a shopping cart, I just used your logic to extend it to a shopping cart. You say an M3 costing $80000 is not highway robbery just because it doesn't appeal to me, but it appeals to some people. Well then a shopping cart at $80,000 must appeal to some guy out there, therefore calling it highway robbery would also be wrong, when it clearly isn't.
Old 12-11-13, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And I didn't say the M3 was a shopping cart, I just used your logic to extend it to a shopping cart. You say an M3 costing $80000 is not highway robbery just because it doesn't appeal to me, but it appeals to some people. Well then a shopping cart at $80,000 must appeal to some guy out there, therefore calling it highway robbery would also be wrong, when it clearly isn't.
Your whole shopping cart analogy is just ridiculous, we're not going to discuss that any more.

I know what an F-Type looks like. Styling is subjective, I personally think an M4 is a better looking car than an F-Type. I'm not a roadster/2 seater coupe fan. But, what makes an M3/M4 a special car is not styling. If all you care about is styling a car like that is lost on you.

An M4 will absolutely run circles around an F-Type R. If you don't care about performance I would venture to say both cars would be wasted on you...certainly an F-Type R.
Old 12-11-13, 10:43 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's interesting someone can blast a car to smithereens without having sat in, driven, or even seen in person.
Old 12-11-13, 11:01 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The F10 series are gorgeous and totally blows the new lexus design out-of-the-water IMO. Though the interior is still lacking, especially when compared to equivalent price cars. The picture posted by Mr. Burns shows how much nicer the jaguar interior is.

While I do think the m3/4 can be worth $90k, we shouldn't be bashing Mr. Burn for saying its not. We are a lexus forum, and therefore value is a top priority for many of our members as opposed to other car forums (such as BMW and Porsche) where performance and brand image are top priorities. With different customer priorities, certain brands can sale their cars at different price points, even ones where the value does not equal price.
Old 12-11-13, 11:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Although both the F-Type and M4 are daily drivable, both take on two different personas with the Jaguar going more the Grand Touring route as expected. Jags have always had an heir for luxury and refinement but also quick reflexes similar to the feline it shares it's name with whereas the BMW is more "hardcore", tuned for time attacks and CF laden. Both have plenty of pedigree and style and both have accolades that are superior to each other. To each their own, I like both.
Old 12-11-13, 11:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The F10 series are gorgeous and totally blows the new lexus design out-of-the-water IMO. Though the interior is still lacking, especially when compared to equivalent price cars. The picture posted by Mr. Burns shows how much nicer the jaguar interior is.

While I do think the m3/4 can be worth $90k, we shouldn't be bashing Mr. Burn for saying its not. We are a lexus forum, and therefore value is a top priority for many of our members as opposed to other car forums (such as BMW and Porsche) where performance and brand image are top priorities. With different customer priorities, certain brands can sale their cars at different price points, even ones where the value does not equal price.
This isn't even about value that much, just tht $80000 for a compact 6 cylinder car is too much.

Quick Reply: Bmw m3 & m4 reveal