Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus changes tack on transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:35 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Lexus changes tack on transmissions

http://www.drivelinenews.com/transmi...transmissions/
Old 03-31-16, 09:34 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not consider either the 10-speed automatic transmission or the addition of the 4-speed automatic on the back-end of the Lexus Hybrid Drive electronic-CVT to be "changing tack". I consider them to be an evolution rather than an revolution.

But then, so few of these enthusiast websites really understand the eCVT/Power-split Device (PSD) hybrid transmission that Toyota uses; it is NOT a CVT in the normal, belt-and-pulleys sense.
Old 03-31-16, 11:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
But then, so few of these enthusiast websites really understand the eCVT/Power-split Device (PSD) hybrid transmission that Toyota uses; it is NOT a CVT in the normal, belt-and-pulleys sense.
I think there would be less confusion if Lexus said they were using a 'PSD' transmission rather than the term 'eCVT', since it is not a belt/pulley like you mention.
Old 03-31-16, 12:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think there would be less confusion if Lexus said they were using a 'PSD' transmission rather than the term 'eCVT', since it is not a belt/pulley like you mention.
amen to that!
Old 03-31-16, 12:48 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrivelineNews
Lexus, Toyota’s premium brand, will introduce its first stepped transmission system with the hybrid version of its latest and most prestigious model, the LC 500 luxury coupé.
I stopped reading here.

People just don't realize that the stepped transmission has been in the Lexus GS450h since 2005. The LC500h simply bumped the 2AT in the GS450h to a 4AT one that's all. That's on top of the eCVT that exists in all Toyota/Lexus hybrids of course.
Old 03-31-16, 07:07 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Not quite, the GS450h and LS600h add a second planetary gearset to the PSD to handle more torque and for better high speed efficiency. The LC500h adds an actual 4-speed AT to the PSD for a more direct feel and better throttle response.

The CVT-like rubber band effect has been a big complaint on PSD hybrids because road speed and engine speed aren't linear. Toyota hybrids don't use a belt and pulley CVT but the feel is similar; why they keep calling it an eCVT is anyone's guess.
Old 03-31-16, 07:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Not quite, the GS450h and LS600h add a second planetary gearset to the PSD to handle more torque and for better high speed efficiency. The LC500h adds an actual 4-speed AT to the PSD for a more direct feel and better throttle response.

The CVT-like rubber band effect has been a big complaint on PSD hybrids because road speed and engine speed aren't linear. Toyota hybrids don't use a belt and pulley CVT but the feel is similar; why they keep calling it an eCVT is anyone's guess.

they call them eCVT since it is easier to understand... they also feel different from reg cvts since electric motor will give instant power while with traditional cvt in small engined car traditionally sucks since you get a lot of noise but have to wait for power to come.
Old 04-01-16, 06:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Originally Posted by DrivelineNews
Lexus, Toyota’s premium brand, will introduce its first stepped transmission system with the hybrid version of its latest and most prestigious model, the LC 500 luxury coupé.
I stopped reading here.

People just don't realize that the stepped transmission has been in the Lexus GS450h since 2005. The LC500h simply bumped the 2AT in the GS450h to a 4AT one that's all. That's on top of the eCVT that exists in all Toyota/Lexus hybrids of course.
I very nearly stopped reading there also, thinking this was another hybrid vehicle know-it-all who actually knows nothing.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by spwolf
they call them eCVT since it is easier to understand... they also feel different from reg cvts since electric motor will give instant power while with traditional cvt in small engined car traditionally sucks since you get a lot of noise but have to wait for power to come.
This is what I think also. The PSD is so different that labelling it that to the outside world would truly confuse everyone (even more than they are now). Note that GM does not call its Voltec transmsission (what is in the Volt) as PSD.