Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autonews-Hyundai r&d president, 2 other execs resign over quality problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 01:09 PM
LexFather

Post Autonews-Hyundai r&d president, 2 other execs resign over quality problems

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2kT4EPwaQ

SEOUL (Reuters) -- Hyundai Motor Group said on Monday its research and development president, Kwon Moon-sik, and two other executives resigned over a string of quality problems as the automaker tries to shore up reputation ahead of key model launches.

The abrupt resignations came as Hyundai Motor Co has suffered a slew of recalls in South Korea, the United States and other countries, as well consumer complaints over quality issues at home, all of which have undermined its reputation.

The group's chairman, Chung Mong-koo, who has been credited with revamping the quality of the once shoddy cars, still hammers home quality to executives. Chung, a son of Hyundai founder Chung Ju-yung, has been known for abruptly sacking executives, some of whom had been rehired.

Kwon has been r&d president for just over one year and was brought in shortly before Hyundai and affiliate Kia Motors admitted they overstated the fuel economy of more than 1 million vehicles in North America.

Just last month, Kwon, the No.2 official in Hyundai/Kia's r&d center after Vice Chairman Yang Woong-chul chaired a domestic media event for the new Genesis premium sedan.

Hyundai also replaced two other executives in charge of engineering and electronics technology as part of its latest shake-up. They resigned to "take responsibility for a series of quality issues," Hyundai said in a statement.

"The latest personnel change shows our firm commitment to quality management and reaffirms our will to continuously improve r&d competitiveness," Hyundai said in a statement.

Hyundai did not say who will replace Kwon.

Hyundai said last week that it would expand its recall in the United States of Genesis sedans to address a potential brake issue, raising the total to nearly 150,000 vehicles in the United States and South Korea. The automaker is preparing to launch a redesigned Genesis sedan in South Korea starting late this month.

In April, Hyundai and Kia, which together rank fifth in global auto sales, recalled more than 1.8 million vehicles in the United States because of a faulty brake switch and a loose headliner, followed by South Korea's biggest vehicle recall in at least a decade over the same issue.

In South Korea, Hyundai also came under a barrage of consumer criticism for alleged water leaks in Santa Fe sport utility vehicles and Elantra compacts.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2kT4a0VnU
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

Old 11-12-13, 01:16 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they resigned because they couldn't get it right? Not sure if that's impressive or a copout.
Old 11-12-13, 02:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

at least we know they are on it. I wish them luck but kind of wondering if they bit off more than they can chew or its simply growing pains for a company that has grown like a weed.
Old 11-12-13, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I too find this odd. Not sure if it's noble of them to give someone else a chance or if the problems are piling up more than we know. If that is the case, this could really damage the reputation Hyundai has gained since 2009.
Old 11-12-13, 05:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

they probably resigned under unbearable amounts of pressure. no fun.
Old 11-12-13, 07:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't read into it too much is my take. It's common in Asian culture to "sacrifice yourself" when you've failed in your position, so no big surprise they're stepping down. To take an extreme example, airline pilots that have caused deaths have killed themselves as an apology.

I definitely think its a symptom of growing pains.
Old 11-12-13, 10:25 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say given Korean culture, resigned is PR speak for sacked.
Old 11-13-13, 08:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Don't read into it too much is my take. It's common in Asian culture to "sacrifice yourself" when you've failed in your position, so no big surprise they're stepping down. To take an extreme example, airline pilots that have caused deaths have killed themselves as an apology.

Originally Posted by whoster
I would say given Korean culture, resigned is PR speak for sacked.
It is not uncommon for top management in Japanese and Korean companies to "fall on their own swords" if targets have not been met, in order to preserve the honour of the employer. That is their culture and not to be confused with the Western use of the euphemism of "resigned" to mean "fired".

That is the difference between Western and Eastern (especially Japanese and Korean) cultures: Western managers (and politicians) will refuse to resign but Eastern managers are still known to quit on their own to save the honour of their employers.
Old 11-16-13, 01:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of knee-jerk reactions going on at Hyundai. Very typical of their obsessive and greedy corporate mentality and culture.

Hyundai wants to be the best at everything, or at least boast that they're the best, but this all backfiring on them horribly. They are struggling and starting to fail.

Just because you work hard and you're desperate doesn't mean you can or will be the best. The world doesn't work like that.

Originally Posted by TangoRed

The whole idea or practice of saving face or maintaining honor is mostly a Japanese cultural tradition. Not so much Korean. Korean culture is quite different in that regard.
Old 11-16-13, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Pretty much agrees with what I have posted before.....that I thought overall Hyundai quality, ride/driving-comfort, and styling reached their peaks in the mid-2000s, and all three have dropped a notch in the seven to nine years since then. Styling, especially, IMO, has gone downhill in the latest-generation of Hyundai products....there's too emphasis today in Hyundai products on form, rather then function. The latest Elantra, though, still seems well-built, if (IMO) oddly-styled.
Old 11-21-13, 06:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pretty much agrees with what I have posted before.....that I thought overall Hyundai quality, ride/driving-comfort, and styling reached their peaks in the mid-2000s, and all three have dropped a notch in the seven to nine years since then. Styling, especially, IMO, has gone downhill in the latest-generation of Hyundai products....there's too emphasis today in Hyundai products on form, rather then function. The latest Elantra, though, still seems well-built, if (IMO) oddly-styled.
I have to agree as well. Even styling-aside, I would say the mid-2000s Hyundai models were put together better than their new models, with slightly higher quality interior materials and fit and finish as well. Now although styling is subjective, the styling of those models to me was incredibly dated, but their new over-the-top styling is no better. They went from one styling extreme to another, with a drop in quality along the way.
Old 11-21-13, 10:32 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I have to agree as well. Even styling-aside, I would say the mid-2000s Hyundai models were put together better than their new models, with slightly higher quality interior materials and fit and finish as well. Now although styling is subjective, the styling of those models to me was incredibly dated, but their new over-the-top styling is no better. They went from one styling extreme to another, with a drop in quality along the way.
kinda like lexus with its drastic departure from classy design. Hyundai never did something so crazy like LF-NX concept though. nothing is more over the top than that.
Old 11-22-13, 01:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good points. similar to Lexus and L-Finesse, quality took a dive in exchange for a sleeker design. Though assembly is way up recently. As to the Hyundai's it should be noted that part of the poorer reliability is also due to ramping up production since 2009 they exploded onto the scene. The factories are at full tilt and quality assurance has suffered some.
Old 11-22-13, 04:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
kinda like lexus with its drastic departure from classy design. Hyundai never did something so crazy like LF-NX concept though. nothing is more over the top than that.
You answered your own argument there. The LF-NX is a concept, and yes Hyundai has had some VERY over the top concepts before. The LF-NX is NOT a production vehicle, so you have no argument.

All the new Lexus designs still retain lots of class, and are instantly recognizable as Lexus.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good points. similar to Lexus and L-Finesse, quality took a dive in exchange for a sleeker design. Though assembly is way up recently. As to the Hyundai's it should be noted that part of the poorer reliability is also due to ramping up production since 2009 they exploded onto the scene. The factories are at full tilt and quality assurance has suffered some.
Well that's Hyundai's own fault. Similar to how Toyota ramped production too fast in the mid-2000s and quality suffered. Now with Akio Toyoda quality is now the top priority once again, not speed to market.
Old 11-22-13, 07:57 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You answered your own argument there. The LF-NX is a concept, and yes Hyundai has had some VERY over the top concepts before. The LF-NX is NOT a production vehicle, so you have no argument.

All the new Lexus designs still retain lots of class, and are instantly recognizable as Lexus.

Well that's Hyundai's own fault. Similar to how Toyota ramped production too fast in the mid-2000s and quality suffered. Now with Akio Toyoda quality is now the top priority once again, not speed to market.
have you even read what others say about new design direction of Lexus? It's 100% love or hate. just like how hyundai was when they changed their direction.

for me, i love the new design direction of lexus. I think it's bold and creative. but many people including many critics say the same thing that you are saying to Hyundai.

so no, i do have an argument.

it almost seems like you just hate hyundai blatantly. kinda like how i hate acura almost blatantly.

are they lexus? hell no. but they are on par with most main stream brands. that's what they are. mainstream brand. i honestly think your comments on hyundai is borderline trolling IMO. you don't have to like it, but i suggest that you stop bashing it like it's some sort of bad chinese knock off. because you know it isn't.

Last edited by hlee12; 11-22-13 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Autonews-Hyundai r&d president, 2 other execs resign over quality problems