Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Old 04-22-14, 12:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new info on the bmw tie up? Nothing on any more coupes? LF-LC? New LS? TMG involvement at all? Hopefully the NX is a hit and it proves to be a turning point for other new vehicles.
Old 04-22-14, 12:15 PM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an IS250c owner, do you think I have anything to look forward to, any convertible's on the drawing board? Or am I going to have a very unique car in my collection?

Machog
Old 04-22-14, 12:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I basically agree with you on the IS/GS. But not for the SUVs. The RX and GX are generally designed for two different functions. The average RX buyer, more comfort-oriented and geared to everyday suburban driving, is not likely to want (or need) the kind of towing/hauling/off-road capability that people buy the GX (and the even larger LX) for. They are two substantially different SUVs for two substantially different functions. Even with the pressures of cost-cutting, I don't see any practical way they can be shared by a common platform. Just isn't going to work.

The RX now serves the "Mom's taxi" / "Soccer Mom" / "Hockey Mom" role very well in many countries (I was surprised to see so many in Singapore, Southeast Asia). I do not believe that switching the RX to a RWD-based SUV/sporty-wagon (like the orginal Cadillac SRX) will improve it any, and may, in fact, alienate its current customers (remember that the original RWD SRX did not sell and is now a FWD-based crossover, just like the RX).

I could see the next-gen RX adopt some (but not all) of the new NX's (controversial / polarizing) styling, and grow to become a 3-row wagon, but continue as the 21st-century Lexus equivalent of the Vista Cruiser.
Old 04-22-14, 12:28 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
As an IS250c owner, do you think I have anything to look forward to, any convertible's on the drawing board? Or am I going to have a very unique car in my collection?

Machog
Hopefully, Toyota considers drop top version of RC. I'm not in a market for a vert, but it would be nice for those who are.
Old 04-22-14, 02:14 PM
LexFather

I haven't heard anything about any drop tops...maybe the LF LC.....

Old 04-24-14, 01:26 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry not even rumors. Auto and CVT seem to be Lexus's future. S4 sounds like a good choice, though I believe the A4/S4 are due for a redesign soon(ish) so there may be good deals on current ones soon
Hoovey, that's very sad to hear that they could offer a traditional stick for select models (i.e.: IS and RC) but won't bother. Was there also no talk at all of future dual-clutch or single-clutch automated manuals?
Old 04-24-14, 08:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Hoovey, that's very sad to hear that they could offer a traditional stick for select models (i.e.: IS and RC) but won't bother. Was there also no talk at all of future dual-clutch or single-clutch automated manuals?
I personally have not heard in any rumor mills about DCTs/Single Clutch, but there will be more likely hood of those than traditional 3-pedal set-ups in the future
Old 04-24-14, 09:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
The RX now serves the "Mom's taxi" / "Soccer Mom" / "Hockey Mom" role very well in many countries (I was surprised to see so many in Singapore, Southeast Asia).
^^^
Yup this is true.

That along with the ES (which is very popular amongst Asian business executives and their rich elite families)
Old 04-27-14, 07:03 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoNews

Lexus plans to offer a 7-seat crossover, either by bringing out a new vehicle or by increasing the size of the venerable RX 350.

"3rd-row seating is the No. 1 issue we hear from dealers," Lexus Division chief Jeff Bracken said at the auto show here. "We feel like we're missing a 35,000-units-a-year opportunity. We're working hard to rectify that."

Lexus' crossover mainstay is the RX 350, a mid-sized 5-seater that in the best of economic times has sold more than 100,000 units a year.

The RX is based on the platform of the Toyota Highlander, which was redesigned this year. But the Lexus variant won't arrive until late 2015, to make room for the launch of the compact NX 200t and NX 300h 5-seat crossovers arriving this winter.

Lexus has a 7-seat SUV -- the GX 460 -- but it is a body-on-frame SUV with a trucklike ride. There has been speculation that a car-based 7-seat crossover would reduce the need for the GX 460, but a Lexus source said the GX 460 is highly profitable for the automaker, even at low volumes.

It has been 11 years since Lexus unveiled the HPX 7-seat, car-based crossover concept at the New York auto show -- and 7 years since a LF-Xh crossover concept appeared at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. Plans for a production version of the LF-Xh were halted with the recession.

Now, such a vehicle appears back on the agenda. Toyota has applied for a trademark for the TX nameplate. Toyota product planners are secretive about whether the TX would use the Highlander-Camry-Avalon front-wheel-drive architecture for packaging benefits, or use the Lexus IS/GS sedans' rear-wheel-drive architecture for a sportier feel.

Still, the TX coding could merely be for a 7-seat variant of the RX 350. The 2014 Highlander kept the same 109.8-inch wheelbase, but gained nearly 3 inches of overall length to 191.1 inches. Despite the length increase, the Highlander's 3rd-row seat is cramped, which might not mesh with Lexus owners' luxury requirements.

"It could be any number of solutions," Bracken said. "We could bring it to market in 2016 or 2017. If we can get it, that's the priority. We won't be bothered if it steps on RX. We want it."
Old 04-27-14, 07:23 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Bracken said "We won't be bothered if it steps on RX. We want it."

I'm shocked at that statement. The RX is their bread and butter, highest selling vehicle Lexus has. Many long and loyal customers will be turned off if they bloat the RX just to accommodate a third row.
Based on the article I have to believe that there will be some sort of option for someone that wants a third row seat. If not my current RX will be the last one I ever own.
Old 04-27-14, 10:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

"TX" is a stupid name. Hi, I drive a Texas and I park it next to my Nissan Pulsar (NX) and remote-controlled vehicle (RC). Really getting out of hand with these names.

So adding a car-based 7-seater is long overdue. Infiniti has done good with their JX (Q-whatever) here in Los Angeles. People with bigger families and some money love car-based SUV's for the whole family. I would just not end the regular RX's shorter position. The standard RX also serves a very much needed niche and sells super well for those who don't want or need a large SUV.
Old 04-27-14, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

maybe they'll do a short and longer wheelbase rx but that really doesn't make sense as the short wheelbase rx would compete too much with nx.

i've speculated for years that the next rx will be only 3 row...
Old 04-27-14, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So they claim GX is a profitable niche and they'll keep that. NX essentially replaces the original RX in size, and the new Highlander is over 3" longer than the outgoing RX. There could be a few theories but the registering of the TX moniker adds some mystery. Does the '16 RX grow to the same size as the Highlander and gain two/three seats? Grow but not gain two/three seats? Does it stay on a shortened platform? Would a TX be 193-195in? Here's some lengths

180.1in 1RX
182.3in 1NX
187.8in 3RX
189.2in 2GX
191.1in '14 Highlander
197.0in 3LX
Old 04-27-14, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Bracken said "We won't be bothered if it steps on RX. We want it."

I'm shocked at that statement. The RX is their bread and butter, highest selling vehicle Lexus has. Many long and loyal customers will be turned off if they bloat the RX just to accommodate a third row.
Based on the article I have to believe that there will be some sort of option for someone that wants a third row seat. If not my current RX will be the last one I ever own.
Yup totally agree. They need to either can the GX or turn the GX into a broader 7 seat crossover similar to the GL Mercedes.

I think changing the RX formula is a bad idea.
Old 04-27-14, 01:07 PM
LexFather

Glad to hear the GX sticking around

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015