Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2014 Mercedes CLA 250 Review

Old 10-21-13, 01:48 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2014 Mercedes CLA 250 Review

Had a couple guys bring over a 2014 Mercedes CLA 250 to our dealership to see what all the fuss was about. We gave it a good comprehensive look over, and this is what we found.

Powertrain: The 250 model we drove had a Turbocharged 2.0 I-4 that put out just a shade above 200 hp, but did have a rather potent 258 lb. ft of torque. This engine is mated to a 7 speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission. Very responsive and smooth engine and transmission combination, and it did a very good job rev-matching on downshifts. Almost no turbo lag. This car had acceleration that far surpassed our Lexus 250 models. I would put the 0-60 around 6.7 seconds or so. This was the first Mercedes i have driven that had a 3 mode transmission selector. Instead of just the standard E and S modes, this car added a third M mode that is almost identical to the manual mode in our cars. This mode selector did not however affect the weight of the steering or make any adjustment to the suspension firmness.

Handling: I think Mercedes did a pretty good job with the suspension. The car feels lightweight and nimble, minimal body roll, but does have the typical FWD understeer. I would be interested what the CLA 45 AMG drives like. In my opinion the typical Mercedes shopper might find the ride a little "plush" or "squishy" compared to what they are used to.

Interior: This is where things started to go south for the CLA. Interior quality is not quite up to Mercedes standards. You can really tell they cheaped out on the plastics for both the dash, and door panels. I could immediately spot the Daimler influence on this Mercedes. Of course the model we drove did not have real leather, as most Mercedes are using their synthetic leatherette. The worst parts of the interior were as follows. #1. There is almost no visibility out of the back window, at all. None. Side visibility is also limited by rather wide B and C pillars. #2. Overall interior room is relatively close to a standard C-class, with the exception of head room. We had 2 occupants that were 6'3 in the car for the test drive. One in front, and one in rear. The rear seat occupant couldn't even come close to sitting up straight. The middle of the rear seat positions the occupant in a position where the side of their head is literally resting on the C pillar. There was also many times that the front seat occupant, even with the seat in it's lowest position, had hit his head on the ceiling going over bumps on our crappy Nebraska roads. #3 The screen that is permanently fixed to the dash looks terrible. It reminds me one of those real cheap Coby tablets you buy at Wal-Mart . The display is the typical, not so user friendly, Mercedes system with the selector dial on the center console. The interior reminded me of a Volkswagen CC, except the seats were not as comfortable. I did like the rather large panoramic moonroof.

Ok now I wanted to address some of the shortcomings on this car when compared to our Lexus products. The sticker price on the car we drove was $38,640. That is far above the $29,999 they advertise, and this car still didn't have navigation, real leather, or a spare tire. This car has 8 airbags standard. It is missing the side airbags for the rear seat passengers that most of our cars have. There is also a real absence of weather stripping around the bottom of the doors, and around the sides of the hood. It showed, because this car wasn't near as quiet on the road as our ES or IS models.

All in all, this was not a bad car to drive at all, as long as you are under 6 feet tall, and making short trips. It was fun to drive, for a FWD car, but not the car I would pick for a road trip with 3 friends. I am left wondering how baron the inside of the car would be at the advertised $29,999 figure, as this car wasn't equipped with much.
Old 10-21-13, 02:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I could immediately spot the Daimler influence on this Mercedes.

Overall interior room is relatively close to a standard C-class, with the exception of head room. We had 2 occupants that were 6'3 in the car for the test drive. One in front, and one in rear. The rear seat occupant couldn't even come close to sitting up straight. The middle of the rear seat positions the occupant in a position where the side of their head is literally resting on the C pillar.
This is for all the people wondering what Mercedes means when they the CLA is a 4-door coupe.

All in all, this was not a bad car to drive at all, as long as you are under 6 feet tall, and making short trips. It was fun to drive, for a FWD car, but not the car I would pick for a road trip with 3 friends. I am left wondering how baron the inside of the car would be at the advertised $29,999 figure, as this car wasn't equipped with much.
I agree with most of your sentiments. However, the leather seat package brings with it an interior upgrade. Not only do you get a soft, stitched, padded dash but you also get additional leather and padding on the door panels. Was your car equipped with nav? If it wasn't, then it had a smaller screen than what is equipped with navigation models. From the sounds of it the only difference interior-wise between your model and the complete base model was that you didn't have the ugly plastic trim.
Old 10-21-13, 02:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

any pics . All have seen are the CLA45 pics in the commercial and we know most will not look like that. I want to see it stripped in less than 32k form. Pretty crazy that you can buy a benz for the price of an Accord
Old 10-21-13, 03:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

What did it have if it didn't have navigation of leather for 39k? If one was to buy this car, leather option is a must. This adds mb tex to the door panels and to the upper dash with stitching. Makes it look much more upscale.

I priced one out on the website fully loaded and it was "only" 42k and this was up to the gills with the full distronic plus safety package.

Also wanted to add that all cla models are on run flat tired so no spare
Old 10-21-13, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm much rather have the up-coming C-Class. The interior is good looking