Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you hate your wife? i'm kidding!

perhaps you're saying she's maybe a little less concerned in trim details and specs, and just wants something efficient that works - go camry.
reliable family car that is operated easily and has a lot of space... Thats anything that Toyota makes.

Honda had massive battery failures in their hybrids and their ergonomics are nowhere close to Toyota's.

I would still take Honda for myself, it looks better and more luxurious.... but looking it from "what makes sense", Camry hybrid is probably a lot better choice.
Old 10-16-13, 08:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
reliable family car that is operated easily and has a lot of space... Thats anything that Toyota makes.

Honda had massive battery failures in their hybrids and their ergonomics are nowhere close to Toyota's.

I would still take Honda for myself, it looks better and more luxurious.... but looking it from "what makes sense", Camry hybrid is probably a lot better choice.
In comparisons of Hondas vs Toyotas, it has been said that Toyotas are "easier to drive", whatever that means.

My wife has a 2013 Accord (the current model). It is very well put together inside. When I do drive it, it does take a little bit of time to get used to the ergonomics. All Toyotas are pretty much the same with regards to ergonomics -- drive one Toyota and you feel right at home in the next Toyota.

One thing I really cannot get used to in this model of the Accord is the very high cowl and top of the dashboard. Older Hondas were known for low cowls. Because of the high dashboard, the instruments are set high which means that the steering wheel must be high to prevent covering the instruments.

Even with the power seat set at its highest setting I still find my arms and hands reaching up to the steering wheel at a very tiring angle; I would never be able to drive long distances in the car. My wife may have gotten used to it (but even with the seat cranked up high, she likes to sit on a cushion, lifting her higher).
Old 10-17-13, 03:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

<interesting sulu. 2 questions:

Why did you get a honda vs say a Toyota?
How tall are you?
Old 10-17-13, 05:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<interesting sulu. 2 questions:

Why did you get a honda vs say a Toyota?
How tall are you?

I am about average height.

The Honda Accord is my wife's car. She has always driven Hondas. She was looking at a CR-V last year to replace her old Civic but discovered that the new Accord was cheaper, for a better car.

The Toyota Corolla is my car. I have always driven Toyotas and deal only with 1 dealer where I have done all my shopping and most of my service. They know me, I know them and the relationship has worked very well for the past 20+ years. I don't mind going out of my way for the reception and service I get; I have had service done elsewhere and was not satisfied.
Old 10-18-13, 12:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
In comparisons of Hondas vs Toyotas, it has been said that Toyotas are "easier to drive", whatever that means.

My wife has a 2013 Accord (the current model). It is very well put together inside. When I do drive it, it does take a little bit of time to get used to the ergonomics. All Toyotas are pretty much the same with regards to ergonomics -- drive one Toyota and you feel right at home in the next Toyota.

yep, this is how i felt when trying out last Accord... it is looking more luxurious but at the same time, it is harder to use for average person.