Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru Forester named Motor Trend 2014 SUV of the Year

Old 10-10-13, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Subaru Forester named Motor Trend 2014 SUV of the Year

Subaru Forester named Motor Trend 2014 SUV of the Year

Each year, Motor Trend hands out its coveted Golden Calipers to its Car, Truck and SUV of the Year, and in the latter category, this year's bragging rights belong to the redesigned Subaru Forester. In the 14-year history of the SUV award category, Subaru is the only automaker to win three times (2009, 2010 and 2014) and the Forester is the only model to make a return appearance having also won the award back in 2009. In the last six years, this award has either gone to a Subaru or to a luxury crossover/SUV (Mercedes GL-Class in 2013, Land Rover Range Rover Evoque in 2012 and Porsche Cayenne in 2011).

Out of the 13 new or updated crossovers and SUVs in contention for the award, the 2014 Forester came out on top thanks its value, fuel efficiency and fun-to-drive attitude. Rather than a head-to-head battle, the utility vehicles are all judged on six criteria (design, engineering, efficiency, safety, value and performance of intended function).

SUBARU FORESTER SCORES SECOND MOTOR TREND SPORT/UTILITY OF THE YEAR® WIN

-Subaru is first (and only) manufacturer to win SUOTY three times
-Most wins in Sport/Utility category
-Only automaker with back-to-back wins in category

Cherry Hill, N.J. - Motor Trend announced today that the Subaru Forester won Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year for 2014.

Subaru is the only manufacturer to win this title three times, the most wins in the Sport/Utility category. In the past six years of competition, Subaru has had three winners – the 2014 Forester, 2010 Outback, and the 2009 Forester. The 2013 XV Crosstrek also ranked as a finalist in 2012.

MOTOR TREND editor-in-chief Ed Loh, said, "The 2014 Subaru Forester beat a highly competitive field of SUVs because it best met our award's six key criteria. Smart design, thoughtful engineering, and a compelling performance on road and off were the keys to the Forester's win. Our editors were particularly impressed by the powerful yet efficient turbocharged engines, the intelligent and sporty CVT transmission, and the excellent visibility and interior package found within the Forester. Practical, affordable, efficient and fun-to-drive - Forester truly ticked every box".

In addition to the Subaru Forester, the 2014 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year competition included twelve other all-new or significantly updated SUVs:

Acura MDX
Audi Q5
BMW X1
Buick Encore
Dodge Durango
Hyundai Santa Fe
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorento
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Mini Paceman S ALL4
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota RAV4

"We are honored to receive the MOTOR TREND Sport/Utility of the Year award for the third time," said Thomas J. Doll, president, and chief operating officer, Subaru of America, Inc. "Our product, engineering, sales and marketing teams all work hard to provide the best products and experiences we can for our owners. Receiving this distinction from MOTOR TREND truly adds credence to our mission."

MOTOR TREND's Sport/Utility of the Year is not a comparison test, and is only open to all-new or substantially upgraded vehicles that have gone on sale in the 12 months from November 1 of the previous year.

To judge contenders for the award, MOTOR TREND's editorial staff conducted an exhaustive three-phase testing process. Phase one includes a full tech check and weigh-in, then full track testing to establish baseline data for acceleration, braking, and handling. Phase two involves three days of road loops offering a range of road surfaces and traffic conditions to evaluate ride and handling, engine and transmission smoothness and responsiveness, wind and road noise, and ergonomics. A dirt-track section tests traction, stability, and braking control systems. In the third phase the judges debate and deliberate. The judging criteria include the following categories:

Design Advancement - well-executed exterior and interior styling; innovative vehicle packaging; good selection and use of materials.

Engineering Excellence - total vehicle concept and execution; clever solutions to packaging, manufacturing and dynamics issues; cost-effective tech that benefits the consumer.

Performance of Intended Function - how well the vehicle does the job its planners, designers, and engineers intended it to do.

Efficiency - low fuel consumption and carbon footprint, relative to the vehicle's competitive set.

Safety - a vehicle's ability to help the driver avoid a crash, as well as the secondary safety measures that protect its occupants from harm during a crash.

Value - competitive price and equipment levels, measured against those of vehicles in the same market segment.
Priced from $21,995, the Forester is offered with a new 250-horsepower 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged BOXER engine or a 170-horsepower 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder BOXER engine. A Lineartronic® CVT (continuously variable transmission) is standard in the 2.0XT models and available for the 2.5-liter models, which features a standard 6-speed manual transmission. The Forester jumps to the head of its segment in all-wheel drive fuel economy, with the 2.5i model achieving EPA estimates of 24 mpg city/32 mpg highway/ 27 mpg combined (with CVT).

The 2014 Forester has received a Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+) award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The Forester is the first vehicle to ace every aspect of the challenging small overlap front crash test conducted by the IIHS. The Forester is the only one of 13 small SUVs to earn an overall rating of good in the test.

The recognition from MOTOR TREND validates the sales success of the 2014 Forester, which is up 46% year-to-date over 2012. Forester's strong sales performance mirrors the growth of the Subaru brand overall, which is on track to achieve its fifth-consecutive year of sales increases and top 400,000 vehicle sales in the US market in 2013.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/10/2...uv-year-video/
Old 10-10-13, 02:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very impressive. Whats funny is that I have never ever seen or read a review on the forester that was bad ( other than the old trans). The car is respected by all the journalists I have ever come across . I have never driven one but seems like Subaru has a winner. They dont sell well in the west but Im sure in the northeast they sell like hot cakes
Old 10-10-13, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
very impressive. Whats funny is that I have never ever seen or read a review on the forester that was bad ( other than the old trans). The car is respected by all the journalists I have ever come across . I have never driven one but seems like Subaru has a winner. They dont sell well in the west but Im sure in the northeast they sell like hot cakes
Actually my friend that's just Arizona and Cali. Oregon, Washington and Idaho ie the Northwest IS Subaru country
Old 10-10-13, 03:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Never been a fan of cars trying to look butch. To me, they appear nerdy, confused, top-heavy, or too feminine. This isn't an SUV by traditional standards, but I know I'm old-school and stuck in the past.

Disappointing award.
Old 10-10-13, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Acura MDX
Audi Q5
BMW X1
Buick Encore
Dodge Durango
Hyundai Santa Fe
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorento
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Mini Paceman S ALL4
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota RAV4
By the list I'd have gone with the Jeep Grand Cherokee which can be outfitted with all sorts of packages, options and powertrains from petrol to diesel.
Old 10-10-13, 07:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking a ride in Forester recently, the woman and I decided that this would be the car for us if/when we start a family.
Old 10-10-13, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

but, but... it's so ugly. subaru is the new 'old volvo'. i pretty much never see subaru's here in central florida. they're great in crap weather though!

for me, a rav4, cx-5, santa fe, and others are a more stylish and upscale choice.

is this the best image they could come up with for their website?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 07:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Forester is OK... it is really great Japanese SUV.. interior is so so and everything else is great.
Old 10-10-13, 08:28 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Whats funny is that I have never ever seen or read a review on the forester that was bad ( other than the old trans).
Here you go.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 10-11-13, 05:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about SUV of the year....but I like it....if I lived in snow for sure

Old 10-11-13, 05:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of the Forester but I do like the Outback 3.6R Limited.Wanted to get one for the wife but she doesn't like the name Subaru and wanted another CR-V.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-11-13 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Not a fan of the Forester but I do like the Outback 3.6R Limited.Wanted to get one for the wife but she doesn't like the name Subaru and wanted another CR-V.
LOL,that's so funny she refused on the basis of the name.
Old 10-11-13, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
LOL, and good to see c/d picked cx-5 and rav-4 over forrester.

edit: interesting reading the comments in there. some don't like the forrester steering, engine, and cvt, but find the ride much quieter and smoother than a rav4 which many said is rough and loud.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-11-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 07:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL,that's so funny she refused on the basis of the name.
God's honest truth,bit.
Go figure!
Old 10-11-13, 07:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
God's honest truth.
Go figure!

go figure? LOL, there is NO way to figure out women!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subaru Forester named Motor Trend 2014 SUV of the Year