Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes confirms M-based slantback crossover coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 01:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes confirms M-based slantback crossover coupe

Mercedes confirms M-based slantback crossover coupe

Like the rest of its German counterparts, Mercedes-Benz seems bent on expanding its crossover SUV portfolio. The R-Class may be driving off into the sunset, along with the two-door Gelandewagen, but Mercedes still offers the M-Class, GLK, GL and G-Class models. The new baby GLA is on its way, but that won't be the last addition to the range.

Car and Driver reports having spoken with two unnamed "high-level executives" at the German automaker who confirmed longstanding rumors of a new Mercedes crossover to target the BMW X6. The model would be based closely on the ML (pictured above) and is expected to carry the largely same engine portfolio - potentially including an AMG version - with the vital difference of a sloping roofline. The rakish roof would make the vehicle more aesthetically appealing but less practical, to emphasize the "sport" and de-emphasize the "utility" elements of the formula.

The idea may seem a bit ill-conceived considering that other models in this expanding niche (like the aforementioned X6, the Acura ZDX and the Infiniti QX70) have, as we just recently reported, been selling in small numbers. But as Car and Driver's sources point out, the development costs for such a model would be relatively low, and crossovers can be marketed in regions around the world. Whether the project proves worthwhile remains to be seen, but one way or another, it looks to be going forward.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/10/m...ossover-coupe/
Old 10-10-13, 01:50 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

SMH. Just another waste of resources imo. Mercedes is gonna have a car in every segment which will further dilute its already diluted exclusivity.
Old 10-10-13, 02:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

what a bunch of idiots. Have they learned nothing from the X6 and ZDX? They do not sell. You are designing a huge heavy car that has no utility , room , or rear cargo. Enough with these me too cars. BMW copies Mercedes and Mercedes copies BMW. Kind of pathetic. At least Lexus isnt blind enough to make something like that
Old 10-10-13, 03:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what a bunch of idiots. Have they learned nothing from the X6 and ZDX? They do not sell. You are designing a huge heavy car that has no utility , room , or rear cargo. Enough with these me too cars. BMW copies Mercedes and Mercedes copies BMW. Kind of pathetic. At least Lexus isnt blind enough to make something like that
In terms of SUVs I agree, Lexus shouldn't follow. But I do believe there is room for a rakish four door coupe to compete against the likes of the 6-Series Gran Coupe, A7 and CLS. I'd like a FS350, FS450h, and a FS-F thank you much
Old 10-10-13, 11:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

mercedes doesnt really care if it sells. they probably wont bring it to the US anyways. it will just be for experiment like the CLS shooting brake
Old 10-11-13, 12:47 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These crossover coupes are so ugly...
I don't I've ever seen a ZDX in the bay area yet. Tho I've seen a couple of crosstours here and there.