Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought IS250 back in July and just saw the mercedes CLA

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 07:54 PM
LexFather

Market has spoken...they sold more CLA's in a week than Q50's all month. This is one hot car, the aftermarket wants it, people want it. I'm stunned at how they really worked the CLS proportions on a FWD car, looks good.

KW already has suspension for it

Old 10-09-13, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's worth noting for the last few decades, Mercedes can put out any vehicle and it will be glorified by the masses. Why? Because of the brand's name. I truly believe this "base" car is being carried a lot by what's plastered on the decklid and grille. Even when the defunct C-Class hatchback came out, it was in high demand for the first few months or year. The value of a name is incredible, and there's generations of wealthy familes who only buy Mercedes because of tradition, reputation, and status.
Old 10-09-13, 10:54 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some funny posts here. Yes, the CLA is FWD, and yes you can add $10k in options and make a sub $30k car MSRP $40k+, what's wrong with that? Sure, you can price it into "RWD" territory, but you'll likely be sacrificing some options if you were spend $40k on a CLA vs $40k on a 3 Series.

FWIW, my mother in law was in the market for a car and she figured she'd get a 3IS. She drove it and like it - until she saw the CLA. She test drove the CLA and game over. She ordered a CLA last weekend. Oh, and her CLA build is about $4,500 less than the comparably equipped IS she was looking at. My point to this is that 8/10 people buying the CLA could not care less if the car was FWD, RWD, or AWD - it's a moot point. If FWD is that big of an issue, as some here said, you're looking at the wrong car anyway.

If the CLA is successful, and from the early looks of things - it will be, many of us will praise MBZ for creating a new class of cars as they did years ago with the original CLS.
Old 10-09-13, 11:12 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Some funny posts here. Yes, the CLA is FWD, and yes you can add $10k in options and make a sub $30k car MSRP $40k+, what's wrong with that? Sure, you can price it into "RWD" territory, but you'll likely be sacrificing some options if you were spend $40k on a CLA vs $40k on a 3 Series.

FWIW, my mother in law was in the market for a car and she figured she'd get a 3IS. She drove it and like it - until she saw the CLA. She test drove the CLA and game over. She ordered a CLA last weekend. Oh, and her CLA build is about $4,500 less than the comparably equipped IS she was looking at. My point to this is that 8/10 people buying the CLA could not care less if the car was FWD, RWD, or AWD - it's a moot point. If FWD is that big of an issue, as some here said, you're looking at the wrong car anyway.

If the CLA is successful, and from the early looks of things - it will be, many of us will praise MBZ for creating a new class of cars as they did years ago with the original CLS.
Congrats to your mother in law!
I think MB did a very good job on the CLA, it's a beautifully made car, inside and out.
Old 10-09-13, 11:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

well of course they should be congratulated for making something for cheap and selling it expensive... here in Europe, it sells for more than C class, and it is sold out.
Old 10-10-13, 12:24 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

It's also worth noting that Mercedes offers massive discounts & incentives.
Old 10-10-13, 04:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's worth noting for the last few decades, Mercedes can put out any vehicle and it will be glorified by the masses. Why? Because of the brand's name. I truly believe this "base" car is being carried a lot by what's plastered on the decklid and grille. Even when the defunct C-Class hatchback came out, it was in high demand for the first few months or year. The value of a name is incredible, and there's generations of wealthy familes who only buy Mercedes because of tradition, reputation, and status.
You don't say?

Originally Posted by yowps3
It's also worth noting that Mercedes offers massive discounts & incentives.
Not on the CLA just yet.
Old 10-10-13, 04:47 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The CLA is already working for MB. September was their biggest sales month in history. They wanted to make a volume car and they have it.

As for the FWD argument. Most people prefer FWD to RWD. Unless you live in the south where there's no snow/ice to worry about.

And I can't imagine how bad rear seat room his in the CLA with those proportions. Head room must suck.
Old 10-10-13, 05:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Most people have no idea if the car they're driving is FWD or RWD. The AWD folks tend to know because they either paid more for the option and/or there is a badge on the back of the car
Old 10-10-13, 06:23 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=TangoRed;8180931]You don't say?

lol i died laughing
Old 10-10-13, 06:26 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

im going to assume you were making fun of my post, what i meant was that this car does have options to satisfy as long as your willing to pay, people buy cars for the "look" not the options.
Old 10-10-13, 06:32 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
There's no problem with the CLA being FWD. Thing is once you add the options, you're getting into RWD sport sedan territory. CLA will no doubt sell well, but I want to see the impact on sales numbers once the new C-class with similar styling comes out. Heck maybe MB will even move the next C-class further upmarket.
if mb does pick up the price of the c class they better make it worth it.
Old 10-10-13, 06:34 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
the c class hatchback was sexy, i still want one
Old 10-10-13, 09:33 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4o0
the c class hatchback was sexy, i still want one
Can't tell if your serious, that car was a monstrosity haha. It literally dragged the whole Mercedes Benz image down.

the only thing the IS has over the CLA is reliability, IMO
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Can't tell if your serious, that car was a monstrosity haha. It literally dragged the whole Mercedes Benz image down.

the only thing the IS has over the CLA is reliability, IMO
And RWD

Quick Reply: Bought IS250 back in July and just saw the mercedes CLA