Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Mazda3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 08:15 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't care for it. Large front overhang, saggy shoulder line, tiny wheels, and cyclops guage package don't do it any favors. The rental car white paint also adds to the cause.
It's FWD, it must have a large front overhang. And 18" wheels are optional.

Did you read the article at all?
Old 10-03-13, 08:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
it will probably be the best looking car in class, in person...i saw it on some show videos and it look good... these pics are not flattering and i dont think interior is that great but it will likely feel special.

Got rated really well in Autobild, beat diesel Focus and Civic... of course, they somehow did not test it against new Golf. As usual, they will probably test petrol version against turbo Golf.
The Mazda 3 looks really nice.

And that also lies a problem because it may not sadly sell to the levels of your Civic, Corolla or Golf.

I just hope that Mazda sells as many units as they can (as volume is what the company needs right now)
Old 10-03-13, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The interior of this car is absolutely atrocious. That nav screen looks so cheap and tacky and flimsy.
I agree. I will only comment on the nav screen b/c it looks like crap, just like the CLA.
At least they should have some oem-looking shroud for it. You can see the left over black screen on each side.

I mean, that area looks like it was for a digital clock, but mazda just stuck a nav there and said, "navigation is available"
Old 10-03-13, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I can't even begin to explain how much I love this new Mazda3 inside and out. Gorgeous!
Yes, it's definitely better-looking on the outside than the last one. But I'm not terribly impressed with the new interior, at least from these preliminary shots. I do like the smallish wheels, though, and the nice long front overhang. Too many of today's cars have oversized wheels/tires and almost no overhang at all, which, IMO, makes them look awkward and ride too stiff.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-03-13, 11:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it!!!
Old 10-03-13, 11:28 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Focus drives a lot sportier than the current Mazda 3. Poor man's BMW is lol. The Mazda 3 drives nothing like a 3 series. Or IS.
Old 10-03-13, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think the Focus drives a lot sportier than the current Mazda 3. Poor man's BMW is lol. The Mazda 3 drives nothing like a 3 series. Or IS.
No one ever said it was.

It is considered the "BMW" of it's respecitve class segment ie Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Forte, Elantra, Jetta, Cruze, Impreza, Focus because of the way it drives. Though I will digress on the Focus as it's European roots have it up there as well
Old 10-03-13, 02:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No one ever said it was.

It is considered the "BMW" of it's respecitve class segment ie Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Forte, Elantra, Jetta, Cruze, Impreza, Focus because of the way it drives. Though I will digress on the Focus as it's European roots have it up there as well
I drove 'em all when shopping and agree that the steering/handling/braking sets the 3 apart. It's got a few shortcomings (highway noise and smiley face mainly) but it's been bullet proof for us and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-03-13, 02:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks like form wins out over function again. With that high and swooping beltline, it must be terribly claustrophobic, especially for shorter people or children, in the rear seat. I would not want to sit back there, especially in a fashionable black interior -- it would feel like crouching in a tiny cave.

I hope that there is an audio system on/off switch on the steering wheel. Anyone notice that what seems to be the on/off switch and volume is between the seats, next to the mouse-like wheel? That will take some getting used to. Whatever happened to simple, easy-to-understand, easy-to-use controls?
Old 10-03-13, 03:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Focus and Mazda 3 share a lot of components, as Mazda is Ford's subsidiary. They probably drive very similar.

I am driving the current Mazda 3, and I used to have a 335, and I agree, they don't drive anywhere near alike. The Mazda is pretty stable in the corners, but it lacks BMW's dynamics and grip, and badly suffers from torque steer even with it's anemic vegetarian engine.
Old 10-03-13, 03:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The new interior is fine. That stick on GPS is a stupid trent that EVERYONE is doing - Audi, MB, BMW - so Mazda is just following the trend. In my 2013 the interior is not luxury or premium in any way, but its very solid, everything is built very precise, there are no funny squeaks or noises. The car is very, very well made.
Old 10-03-13, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think Focus and Mazda 3 share a lot of components, as Mazda is Ford's subsidiary. They probably drive very similar.

I am driving the current Mazda 3, and I used to have a 335, and I agree, they don't drive anywhere near alike. The Mazda is pretty stable in the corners, but it lacks BMW's dynamics and grip, and badly suffers from torque steer even with it's anemic vegetarian engine.
For past 3-5 years, Ford sold off all of their Mazda stock, they own 0% these days.

This is when we started getting sky active engines, new 6 and new CX-5.
Old 10-03-13, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Autobild said that new 3 handles better than Focus while having much smoother suspension... and both were much better than new Euro Civic.

Also, their new diesel in 3 got rated as the best among 3, with Focus one being really crappy and old Honda 2.0l not so far behind Mazda.
Old 10-03-13, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
For past 3-5 years, Ford sold off all of their Mazda stock, they own 0% these days.

This is when we started getting sky active engines, new 6 and new CX-5.
As far as I know the last move by Ford was in 2010 (previously 2008 from 33% to 10%) when they dropped from 10% to 3% ownership. I have not seen any moves to divest them entirely since then. Even so a strategic partnership remains.

Same goes for Ford and Aston Martin, a $40 Million stake remains.
Old 10-03-13, 06:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As far as I know the last move by Ford was in 2010 (previously 2008 from 33% to 10%) when they dropped from 10% to 3% ownership. I have not seen any moves to divest them entirely since then. Even so a strategic partnership remains.

Same goes for Ford and Aston Martin, a $40 Million stake remains.
wiki says it is 0% now, it is hard to find any facts about it... but what you can find is that they have much relationship left, relationship turned sour after Ford sold its stake back to Mazda and they dissolved most JVs they had together, factories, even SA agreement for R&D. Also, they shared a lot of sales networks and they broke that up to.

Now i found the number in Mazda financials - it is 2.1% now, as of few months ago.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Mazda3 Sedan